Digital Newbie

Printable View

• 10-22-2008, 11:25 AM
    Stitches_ca
    Digital Newbie
    Just jumped from film to Digital. Bought a K10D. I am having problems understanding lens mounts. I understand from the manual the K10D has a Kaf2 mount. I also understand I could use a Kaf, or Ka mount. In looking at the Pentax lens compatibility site http://www.pentaximaging.com/product...lity_chart.jsp
    they say that *ist D, *ist DS bodies have a Kaf2 mount. is the *ist D, *ist DS body and K10D body one in the same?
    Thx.
  • 10-22-2008, 12:30 PM
    SmartWombat
    Re: Digital Newbie
    I read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentax_K_mount#KAF2_mount and I am still having trouble !

I think any lens will mount on the camera, but the features that work are a lottery unless it's a modern lens with supersonic drive motor AF.
  • 10-22-2008, 03:37 PM
    ken1953
    Hi Stitches, Welcome to PR and Digital Photography, and especially to the world of Pentax!!!!
    It is my understanding that ALL K mount lenses will fit your body, but you may not be able to use some of the features of the newer body such as the auto focus. It is one of the pluses of the Pentax line in that most of the legacy lenses are useable. I hope this helps a little.
  • 10-22-2008, 03:53 PM
    Stitches_ca
    Thanks all! I am now Lens shopping to see what AF will be like. I will try some of my older Lens and post once I learn some of the film/digital differences. My backgrtound is with Contax and Zeiss. I understand there is no Contax adapter but I also have some screw mount lenses.
  • 10-23-2008, 04:31 PM
    ken1953
    Stitches, check with Pentax. I believe there is an adapter for the some of the screw mounts. But, you again will have to forego some of the modern features.
    Ken
  • 10-23-2008, 09:08 PM
    Class A
    There are definitely M42 (screw mount) to K-mount adapters available. Just make sure they look like the original one from Pentax, i.e., they should not have a wide flange. Some of these will prevent you from focusing to infinity and some are troublesome to get off again. However, with the original Pentax adapter or equivalent ones, you won't have any problems.

With the adapter in place, all automation (aperture, focus) is gone but the Pentax bodies let you handle these old lenses well (green button/ AE-L for metering) and you can use a focus trap to simulate AF. Just enable AF and keep the shutter button pressed while moving the camera slowly towards your target. When it comes into focus, the camera will release the shutter automatically.
  • 10-25-2008, 12:49 AM
    Didache
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Stitches_ca
    they say that *ist D, *ist DS bodies have a Kaf2 mount. is the *ist D, *ist DS body and K10D body one in the same?
    Thx.

The *ist series bodies are not the same as the K10D - however, the lens mount is the same and lenses from the *ist will work just fine on the K10D, including autofocus, etc. Indeed, I had a *istDL and occasionally use the lenses I had bought for it.

Older K lenses are, of course, another matter. All of them will work, but may need to be used in manual focus, etc.

Mike