Pentax and K-Mount Cameras Forum

Pentax Cameras Forum For discussing Pentax cameras and all K-Mount SLRs, including Pentax and Samsung digital SLRs. Your Pentax Cameras Forum moderator is ken1953.
Pentax Digital SLR Reviews >>
Samsung Digital SLR Reviews >>
Pentax 35mm SLR Reviews >>
All Pentax Product Reviews >>

Thread: Customization?

Customization?

I don't really like the color silver and I was wondering it it's at all possible for me to paint some of the silver parts of the k1000 black without damaging the camera? If anyone knows anything about this kind of thing I'd appreciate some advice.
    "Oh, wouldn't it be great if I was crazy? Then the world would be okay. "

Pentax Forum Moderator

Re: Customization?

Although, probably not recommended by Pentax, and it might even void your warranty, but, if you were extraordinarally careful, and didn't get any paint on any moving part or on any joint that might allow light in the camera, you should be able to paint the exterior parts that you don't like.
    However, you might find in the end, especially as the paint began to wear, that you might not like what you are stuck with. And trying to resell it might be a problem.
    Just a couple of cents, but not anything I've heard of before or have any experience with.
    My personal opinion, "don't do it!"
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Well, it's an old camera, far out of warranty, but I do see you point. Thanks for the advice.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Do they make those leather cases for your camera body that used to be so popular in the 35 film days?
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

As a side note, you can buy a silver K200D. Looks very spiffy with the 77mm LTD in silver!
    danic

George Zimbel: Digital diahhrea is a disease for which there is a simple cure. Take one frame of a scene. It is exquisite training for your eye and your brain. Try it for a month. Then try it for another month…then try it for another month…..

RedBubble

Pentax Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by danic
    As a side note, you can buy a silver K200D. Looks very spiffy with the 77mm LTD in silver!
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopydance
    I don't really like the color silver...
    Hi Danic...hehe...I think u misread his post...he doesn't like silver!!! hahahaha
    Ken

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Pentax Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    Do they make those leather cases for your camera body that used to be so popular in the 35 film days?
    Wow Frog...I remember those...I used to have one for my Pentax film camera...but it got lost someplace. I wish they'd bring them back. I really liked mine...but, I guess they could be lint and dust collectors and that wouldn't be good for the new digital cameras...
    OH WELL
    Ken

Nikon Samurai #20

I googled camera cases and immediatly got hits at adorama for nikon and canon but not for pentax so they still make them but not for pentax I guess.

However, you could try Camera Armor or there's another called snug it.....probably others too.
    Keep Shooting!

The leather (n)Eveready cases are nice to protect cameras but won't cover the silver top while in use. I didn't see any listed on KEH or Adorama but, do a search on Ebay for Pentax Eveready and you will find a few.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

I do indeed have one of those leather cases, but I would really prefer being able to paint the silver portions black. I think it would not only improve the look of the camera but make it look a little less conspicuous (Hey, what's that big shiny, silver thing) in my hands/ around my neck.

Here are some images of the camera if anybody wants to have a go at helping me out with this.

http://www.photoethnography.com/Clas...taxK1000-4.jpg
    http://www.msu.edu/user/villafr1/k1000.jpg

The bottom is also silver, where the tripod screw hole is, the rewind release button and the battery compartment are.

Thanks again.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't paint it however you want but, to make sure it gets done correctly, I would think you would need to disassemble the camera. You could probably get by with a partial disassembly, removing all knobs/dials/levers that are in the way and masking off the exposed internals. Just watch out as paint and little internal gears are not going to mix well.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Hmm. I'd probably need step by step instructions for that. I'd also wait until the roll of film I have in there now is done with. I'm just worried that I'd damage my camera if I did this wrong. Maybe I'll revive this thread when it's possible for me to do this.

Just doing the partial disassmble and masking should be pretty easy actually and yes, I would wait til you finish this roll. I would also look into getting a repair manual for it with exploded views to make things easier. Probably run about $10 or $15 but worth it if you plan on keeping the camera for a while.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Quote Originally Posted by ken1953
    Hi Danic...hehe...I think u misread his post...he doesn't like silver!!! hahahaha

How could you not like silver? I'm tempted to buy it and the lens just for bling factor!
    danic

George Zimbel: Digital diahhrea is a disease for which there is a simple cure. Take one frame of a scene. It is exquisite training for your eye and your brain. Try it for a month. Then try it for another month…then try it for another month…..

RedBubble

Heh. I just don't. I look at that and just think that I'd rather have it in black

How about the gaffer tape asked about in another thread.
    I wouldn't reccomend duct tape.....too much residue.
    Keep Shooting!

If by gaffer tape you mean electrical tape. I say go for it. It's not permanent and will have the desired effect. You can do a real neat job and no one would ever know. You don't like silver. Well now you can have it in black, red, green, blue, yellow orange, brown or any combination or these. The coolest camera out there. The only limit is your imagination. be creative. After all your a photographer.:idea:
    K10d pentax 50-200 f4-5.6 sigma 100-300 f4 sigma 18-50mm f2.8 ex dc macro Kenko AF 1.5 DG

Thread Information