Pentax and K-Mount Cameras Forum

Pentax Cameras Forum For discussing Pentax cameras and all K-Mount SLRs, including Pentax and Samsung digital SLRs. Your Pentax Cameras Forum moderator is ken1953.
Pentax Digital SLR Reviews >>
Samsung Digital SLR Reviews >>
Pentax 35mm SLR Reviews >>
All Pentax Product Reviews >>

Which lens: Pentax DA 40mm f/2.8 or Pentax SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4

Ok, so I am looking at both of these lenses, and I can't make up my mind. The only other lens that I currently have is the kit lens that came with my K10d.

50mm - FAST! with f/1.4, shooting in low light conditions without a flash or tripod isn't an issue. Not a super expensive lens. I've read good things about this lens.

http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-SMCP-FA...9946281&sr=1-1

40mm - A very thin pancake lens. Still shoots respectably fast at f/2.8. With the current rebate promo, the price is nearly the same as the 50mm. I've also read good things about this lens.

http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-Compact...9944942&sr=8-1

I appreciate any comments! Thanks in advance!

Jim

Re: Which lens: Pentax DA 40mm f/2.8 or Pentax SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4

Quote Originally Posted by spiraleyes
    Ok, so I am looking at both of these lenses, and I can't make up my mind. The only other lens that I currently have is the kit lens that came with my K10d.

50mm - FAST! with f/1.4, shooting in low light conditions without a flash or tripod isn't an issue. Not a super expensive lens. I've read good things about this lens.

http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-SMCP-FA...9946281&sr=1-1

40mm - A very thin pancake lens. Still shoots respectably fast at f/2.8. With the current rebate promo, the price is nearly the same as the 50mm. I've also read good things about this lens.

http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-Compact...9944942&sr=8-1

I appreciate any comments! Thanks in advance!

Jim
    If you have the money get the pancake. It may be technically slower, but when you consider how far the light has to travel, and through how much glass, the 40mm will trump the 50mm every time. Not to mention that the images will be much sharper and more detaled. And, if that were not enough, the build quilty of the 40mm is in a whole other league than the 50mm. This being said, if the money is a concern then the 50mm is still a great, sharp, and super fast lens.

Hope this helps.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

:ihih: Thanks for the reply Almo. I actually got antsy and already pulled the trigger on the 40. It will be here next week!

PS I can't wait to make all of my Canon and Nikon buddies jealous with this sexy little lens :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by spiraleyes
    :ihih: Thanks for the reply Almo. I actually got antsy and already pulled the trigger on the 40. It will be here next week!

PS I can't wait to make all of my Canon and Nikon buddies jealous with this sexy little lens :thumbsup:
    Good choice! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

As a Canon user myself I can tell you I am quite jealous...
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Thread Information