Pentax and K-Mount Cameras Forum

Pentax Cameras Forum For discussing Pentax cameras and all K-Mount SLRs, including Pentax and Samsung digital SLRs. Your Pentax Cameras Forum moderator is ken1953.
Pentax Digital SLR Reviews >>
Samsung Digital SLR Reviews >>
Pentax 35mm SLR Reviews >>
All Pentax Product Reviews >>

lenses for the samsung gx 1s

hi there, im in the UK and have one of the above cameras. i need to know what lenses are available for this camera and what i need to ask for when ordering them. please be gentle with me im very new to this camera lol

thanks

lydia

Re: lenses for the samsung gx 1s

Any K mount lens will fit and work well.
    Will you need auto focus?
    Look through a glass eye.
    Give it a few tries.
    Nothing goes right in its time.
    --Tally Hall--

dont know but the lens im after is a telephoto lens around the 250mm-300mm

Budget? Subjects?

Samsung made their DSLR with the Pentax lens mount, which makes it compatible with a huge number of lenses, including a lot of old manual focus lenses. Why don't you give us some more info on how much you have to spend and what kind of subjects you plan to take pictures of. Then we can help point you to some good lens options that will work for you and fit your budget
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Pentax Forum Moderator

Hi Lydia, Welcome to PR and the Pentax and K-Mount forum. As Photo John mentioned above, your camera is capable of using all K-mount lenses. The only limitations will be that some will not be able to use your "Auto" functions and therefore will have to be operated "manually". These are mostly your older lenses manual lenses.

From your previous post, it sounds like you are interested in some sort of telephoto lens. I currently use a Pentax SMC DA 50-200mm 4.0-5.6 ED for my everyday lens. It gives me the length I need for most of my distance shots and yet I can still do some nice closeup shots as well.

As you learn your camera, and your photography, you'll later determine your style, likes and dislikes, and be able to purchase different lenses to meet those needs. But in the beginning, you'll want a nice general purpose lens and I think something in this range would be good for you!!! My wife, who is basically a novice, loves that lens also, but also likes her 18-55 lens for when we're indoors doing close ups of the grandkids or larger group photos.

Hope this helps a little more. Please answer Photo Johns questions and we can further advise you. Also, please keep us up to date on your decision and feel free to ask us all your questions about your camera, lenses and photography as we are very happy to help as best we can!!!

Again, Welcome to PR!!!
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Re: Budget? Subjects?

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Samsung made their DSLR with the Pentax lens mount, which makes it compatible with a huge number of lenses, including a lot of old manual focus lenses. Why don't you give us some more info on how much you have to spend and what kind of subjects you plan to take pictures of. Then we can help point you to some good lens options that will work for you and fit your budget

hi john

i have £300 to spend and the sort of photos i like taking are nature photos but heres my real reason for wanting a telephoto lens. My garden is about 85 feet in length and we get alot of birds there,i would like to take close up shots of them but dont know which lens to look for? I dont mind the manual focus lenses at all. someone said that my camera will take all 'K' mount lenses? are they expensive?

thankyou for taking the time to answer me

Lydia.

hi still not sure about which lens will fit altho you have said any k mount will fit. iv had a look and the k mounts have numbers after them,does that matter?

thankyou
    Lydia

Pentax Forum Moderator

Hi Lydia, Yes, any K-Mount should fit and the numbers you are referring to are probably the range of the lens, or the aperture opening. Both of these numbers are important. For example I use a 50-200mm f4.0-5.6 . The first set of numbers is the range. In this case the 50 mm is approximately what the eye sees, as explained to me, and it will zoom approximately 4 times to 200mm to bring your view in closer.
    The 2nd set of numbers is the size of the aperture (opening) on the lens. This is the amount of light that the lens will allow in.
    I am not really the one to help you choose the perfect lense, however, as I mentioned above, this is an excellent beginning lense as it offers enough close in range and yet gives me the zoom I need to get some nice close shots from a distance. With 300 pounds to spend you might consider an 18-50mm lens for landscapes along with a nice zoom. The smaller the number the wider area your lens can cover. The larger the number, the closer it can zoom in.
    If you are narrowing it down, go ahead and list your choices on here and we can advise you. Also, check our reviews section for the lenses you are looking at. You can find the link at the bottom of my signature where it says "Your reviews".
    Hope this helps a bit.
    Ken

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

hi and thanks for your reply. i have got a 200mm manual lens but now my camera wont work with it. anyone know how to make it work? i think it may have something to do with the aperture and seeing as my camera is an auto focus camera do i have to turn autofocus off?

Help please!!!!

Pentax Forum Moderator

Sorry Lydia for not getting back sooner. It has been a hectic weekend. I don't know your specific camera, but probably yes, to your question about autofocus. I know when I put my manual lens on, I have to switch it to be able to operate the focus ring even if autofocus is on. This has to be done in my menus. So, you'll probably need to look in your manual for proper instructions on how to use the manual lenses with your camera.
    Good luck!!!! And still looking forward to your first shots!!!!
    Ken

Nikon Samurai #20

Re: Budget? Subjects?

Quote Originally Posted by lydia44
    hi john

i have £300 to spend and the sort of photos i like taking are nature photos but heres my real reason for wanting a telephoto lens. My garden is about 85 feet in length
    Lydia.
    Hi,
    Nice camera. It is the same as the Pentax *istDL2
    300mm lens will pull the birds in rather well.
    The normally recommended lenses are the 70-300 zooms made by Tamron or Sigma.
    I got a sigma( get the APO version) for equivalent of 70 quid. I see they are 122 pounds or something new. Ebay is your friend. People sell excellent lens for cheap every day. upgrade is the disease

I has been said that your best lens is ...a tripod.
    If your want birds in the garden, a tripod will see some useful work
    This camera, I don't think has shake reduction.
    Longer lenses are harder to hold without shake.
    You need higher shutter speed or use tripod.

have fun
    Pete

hi guys,sorry for the long wait but ive been ill.Since my last post about the above camera i had loads of trouble with it so i got rid and bought a cannon eos 1000d which i love.So i suppose now i wont be allowed on this forum as its for pentax but please tell me if i am allowed as im not too sure.Thankyou all for all your help and hope to see you all soon(fingers crossed)

Lydia

Pentax Forum Moderator

Lydia...you are always welcome here!!! And on all of our forums! We do not discriminate here!!! hehe...Canon is an excellent camera and I'm sure you will enjoy it immensly!!!
    Ken

Nikon Samurai #20

Thread Information