Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>

A Whole Bunch Of Olympus XZ-1 Photos

I spent a good part of the weekend shooting with the new Olympus XZ-1 compact camera. For those of you who don't know, it's a compact camera with a large sensor (for a compact) and an f/1.8 zoom lens. It doesn't fit a lot of my own personal criteria for a good compact camera. But what can I say, sometimes love is blind

So I'm going to share a big, diverse batch of XZ-1 photos with you here. I think I've got something for everyone. I'll get things started with some of my standard fare, mountain photos and Parker Kitty.

If you want to know more about the XZ-1, check out my intro article and video:

Olympus XZ-1 Preview >>

And high-res studio sample photos at all ISO settings are available here:

Olympus XZ-1 Camera Studio Sample Photos >>

Let me know if you have any questions about the camera!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Whole Bunch Of Olympus XZ-1 Photos-p2170061.jpg   A Whole Bunch Of Olympus XZ-1 Photos-p2180135.jpg   A Whole Bunch Of Olympus XZ-1 Photos-p2170041.jpg   A Whole Bunch Of Olympus XZ-1 Photos-p2180078.jpg  
    Last edited by Photo-John; 02-21-2011 at 05:29 PM.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Hockey?

Yeah, hockey. The XZ-1 wouldn't be my first choice for a sports camera - especially not hockey. But I went to a Salt Lake Grizzlies game on Friday, so what the hell? This was taken at ISO 1600 and I think it's actually pretty decent. To really get some good hockey photos I'd have to have a digital SLR with excellent auto focus performance. But I'm impressed that I was able to get anything usable with the XZ-1. This is one of about 4 that I thought were pretty good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Whole Bunch Of Olympus XZ-1 Photos-p2180160.jpg  
    Photo-John

Olympus XZ-1 Street Photography

I think this is really where the XZ-1 shines. I went out yesterday to explore Salt Lake with the camera. I had it on the neck strap, under my jacket. It was weightless and totally unobtrusive. Full manual controls and a big aperture when you want it make the camera really nice for walk-around street work. The only thing I missed was a longer lens.

One thing I want you to notice with these photos is how nice the lens is. I can see very little distortion unless I look really hard. The lens on the XZ-1 really lives up to the Zuiko name.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Whole Bunch Of Olympus XZ-1 Photos-p2200238.jpg   A Whole Bunch Of Olympus XZ-1 Photos-p2200286.jpg   A Whole Bunch Of Olympus XZ-1 Photos-p2200251.jpg   A Whole Bunch Of Olympus XZ-1 Photos-p2200294.jpg   A Whole Bunch Of Olympus XZ-1 Photos-p2200306.jpg  

Photo-John

Re: A Whole Bunch Of Olympus XZ-1 Photos

Great shots John. They all got natural colors, sharp and full of detail. It looks like the white balance is spot on.

There, But For The Grace Of God...

There, but for the grace of God, go I.

The subtitle for this photo would be "Quasimodo." This guy walked past me as I was photographing the Cathedral Of The Madeleine in Salt Lake. After he walked past I saw what a great photo he made. Sad, but great. You can see him on the sidewalk at the bottom of the second photo, too. Later, while I was looking at the photo I realized how much he resembled Quasimodo.

If I see him again I'll have to buy him a sandwich.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Whole Bunch Of Olympus XZ-1 Photos-p2200266.jpg   A Whole Bunch Of Olympus XZ-1 Photos-p2200267.jpg   A Whole Bunch Of Olympus XZ-1 Photos-p2200282.jpg  
    Photo-John

Mestizo Coffee House

A couple from Mestizo, a coffee house and art gallery in Salt Lake City. These were both taken at ISO 800.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Whole Bunch Of Olympus XZ-1 Photos-p2200311.jpg   A Whole Bunch Of Olympus XZ-1 Photos-p2200312.jpg  
    Photo-John

My Beautiful Fiance

Another thing the XZ-1 is good at is portraits. These are not the kind of portraits I am used to taking with a "point-and-shoot" camera. Not * At * All.

The tight shots were taken at f/2.2 and ISO 400. The wide shot was taken at ISO 160 and the Zuiko's largest aperture - the full f/1.8. Ever seen shallow depth-of-field like that from a compact camera? Me, either.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Whole Bunch Of Olympus XZ-1 Photos-p2190185.jpg   A Whole Bunch Of Olympus XZ-1 Photos-p2190199.jpg   A Whole Bunch Of Olympus XZ-1 Photos-p2190211.jpg  
    Photo-John

Obligatory Ice Beard Test

Yeah, it's not a textbook sample photo. But so what. I had a sweet ice beard going on Saturday and I recorded it with the XZ-1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Whole Bunch Of Olympus XZ-1 Photos-p2190178.jpg  
    Photo-John

Some nice shots...to my untrained eye anyway. I'm glad to be reminded, " but, by the grace of god, go I."

A Few More Olympus XZ-1 Photos

I'm really loving this camera! Here are a few more samples that I think are a little different. The one of the mountains (Mt Superior in Little Cottonwood Canyon) has a masked adjustment layer. All the photos in this thread were shot in RAW and converted with the included Olympus Viewer 2 software. I will switch to Lightroom 3 for conversions as soon as it supports the XZ-1.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Whole Bunch Of Olympus XZ-1 Photos-p2270329.jpg   A Whole Bunch Of Olympus XZ-1 Photos-p2270337.jpg   A Whole Bunch Of Olympus XZ-1 Photos-p2240316.jpg  
    Photo-John

Awesome pictures John. I read you entire preview and scrolled all the way down.lol
    How does the iq compare to a m4/3rd? Your pictures actually look better. The price is lower than what I thought it would be too.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Great images, nice review...

How can I be lost
    If I've got nowhere to go?

Sony a55 16-50mm 2.8 ssm Minolta 50mm 70-300 dt 5.6

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    How does the iq compare to a m4/3rd? Your pictures actually look better.
    You know, I hesitate to say it's better than the Pen cameras because the sensor is much smaller than the m4/3rds sensor. However, I have been thinking the same thing. I think the lens may very well be better than the standard Pen kit lens. That could be part of it. Thanks for mentioning this, though. I think I might have to do some back-to-back testing to see if there's really a difference. One thing I can say for sure, I'm enjoying using the XZ-1 more than any compact I can remember for a while. And in general, I'm not a fan of compacts that don't fit in my pocket. This is a special camera.
    Photo-John

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

SOLD !

Nice images, and a much more portable format than the E-P1.
    Angie's going to inherit the E-P1 stormtrooper edition.
    I'm going to carry the XZ-1 everywhere.

We'll see how good its dust protection is - that's what killed the Canon G9.
    And despite having a whole Canon system I've not bought a Canon compact since.

So XZ-1 users unite - and help me out fighting the menus to do what I want!
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

After having used several Sony and Panasonic point and shoots, I must say my images have never looked better considering the XZ-1 sensor is not CMOS or the like.

My amateur eyes are quite impressed.
    You took a photo of what?
    SONY a6000
    SONY RX100M3
    Canon S110

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    You know, I hesitate to say it's better than the Pen cameras because the sensor is much smaller than the m4/3rds sensor. However, I have been thinking the same thing. I think the lens may very well be better than the standard Pen kit lens. That could be part of it. Thanks for mentioning this, though. I think I might have to do some back-to-back testing to see if there's really a difference. One thing I can say for sure, I'm enjoying using the XZ-1 more than any compact I can remember for a while. And in general, I'm not a fan of compacts that don't fit in my pocket. This is a special camera.
    I have the E-PL2 which I absolutely love. My every day carry-with-me camera is the LX5. After reading all this and other posts, and seeing so many beautiful images, I decided to sell the LX5 and get the XZ-1 as my every day camera. It makes more sense because I can use my VF-2 with the XZ-1 as well as the fact that there are many similar features on the two Oly cameras. Selling the LX5 along with the DMW-LVF1, it will just about pay for the XZ-1.

I don't use the LX-5 enough because I'm so happy with the the IQ from the E-PL2 and I love the art filters! However, there are times when I need a smaller camera that will fit nicely in my purse. This will simplify my life a lot more. Plus the faster, brighter lens will be a huge perk!

I'm a bit "technically challenged" so it will also help me to have both Olympus brands since there are many similarities and it will be easier to remember which button to push, etc. :thumbsup:

Fed-Ex should deliver mine tomorrow!

So thanks everyone!!!!! for all this info and the beautiful images.

Liz

Liz

John - I have to say that this is the BEST photo of Parker that I've seen. It's stunning! I would hang that one on your wall. :thumbsup:

Actually, I think this is one of the best cat photos I've seen. I have viewed it more than a few times.

BTW, today's joke....
    what button on the VCR would a cat be more likely to click?
    Answer: paws

Just had to add that!

Liz

I'm no expert but the reviews continue to be amazed by the quality and brightness of the lens.
    It definitely makes it easy to bring along. Problem is lately I find myself bringing my XZ-1 along to places I may have chosen my E-PL2!
    Perfect pair.
    You took a photo of what?
    SONY a6000
    SONY RX100M3
    Canon S110

I'm surprised the hockey photo came out like that with an ISO of 1600. Very nice!

LOVE the cat!

Quote Originally Posted by patois View Post
    LOVE the cat!
    Awww, thanks. Parker Buddy, died in February of last year (2012) - on Valentine's Day, actually. He was an important part of our life and a great camera testing tool . Here's a whole gallery of photos of the "Little Guy:"

Search - PhotographyREVIEW.com Photo Gallery
    Photo-John

Thread Information