Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>

What way to jump

G'day all, here's a question that I guess will annoy in thought and decision to all, as to me, I'm going to give the old E300 a rest and I can't decide between the E520 or the E620!.The E30 I'm not sure I need, the E3 I don't, I've got the original twin lens kit from the trustyE300 and a 70-300 lens, due to age (me) the thought of IS is great.(Image Stable),,,,
    Any quick pros and cons, I love the reach of the 70-300, just old age is catching up ..and mobility is a factor .
    Also as I bought an OM1 years ago (still have) and then the E300, I stick to what I buy,and Oly,so I'm looking long term, Oly seem to be churning out models every five minutes, guess that's technology, but I want an opinion ,
    The hard questions will come later .Lang

Re: What way to jump

I would buy the E-620. While I liked the E-520 a lot, I still found myself wishing the image quality was better. Since Olympus started using the 12-megapixel sensor I haven't felt that way. I also love the tilt/swivel LCD on the E-620. It's great when you're working on a tripod or want to take low shots.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thanks John, a consideration, the E620 is about $1.200.00 Au. body only, the E520 with one kit lens about $600.00Au. Decisions, decisions...As you appeared to have enjoyed both, is twice the cost worth it?. Thanks mate , lang.

I have been happy with my E-520 for about a year now. There are some times when I am a bit disappointed with image quality and there are other times when I'm quite surprised at how good my photos really are. I'm sure a lot of my disappointment has to do with the photographer rather than the camera.

As a very part time amatuer photographer that likes to take decent photos of my kids and some vacation shots when I travel, it wouldn't be worth it to me to spend twice the price on the E-620. On the other hand, I've never tried the E-620 and if I did may think the cost differential is worth it.

As with any high priced item, and especially when it comes to technology and electronics, the law of diminishing returns kicks in pretty quickly. Paying double the price isn't going to get you double the quality. As we move up the ladder we pay greater and greater amounts to squeeze the last percentage points of performance out of our gear.

Ultimately it comes down to your personal preference and budget. Buy the most camera you can comfortably afford without feeling guilty about it later.

G'day Erikzen, it's not the cost so much as I keep my Oly's for years, I have a heap of film Om's and lenses that served me until the E300 came along, I think I will follow Johns advise and get the E620 however will wait for a while and see if we get a price drop over here before I buy.. I do sort of like my E300, we get on well, mostly .. Lang

I would say go for the best you can afford now. Get the newest technology that you can afford now, especially if you are going to keep it for a long while. On the otherhand, if you have been using the E300 for this long, maybe you don't really need the latest and greatest and would be perfectly happy with an e520.
    Stan
    Stan

-N-E-X- Founding Member
    (New England XFires)

Nex.Blackxfire@Yahoo.com
    www.CrossfireForum.Org

Olympus E510
    14-42mm f3.5/5.6
    40-150mm f3.5-4.5

Quote Originally Posted by blackxfire
    I would say go for the best you can afford now. Get the newest technology that you can afford now, especially if you are going to keep it for a long while. On the otherhand, if you have been using the E300 for this long, maybe you don't really need the latest and greatest and would be perfectly happy with an e520.
    Stan

Thats pretty poor advice when it comes to cameras. Newer technology costs a hefty premium over older models. If you can find them, E-510s are going to be significantly cheaper than their newer siblings but will still offer just as good [and often arguably better] results when it comes to the photographs. Camera makers pump out new entry level models every year, but the most significant changes are usually minor convenience features.
    E-3, E-510
    12-60 2.8-4.0
    40-150 3.5-4.5
    Sigma 30 1.4
    Zenit 58 F2 [with M42 adapter]
    Metz 48

It makes sense to me. If he doesn't need an E3 or even an e620 then maybe he would be perfectly happy with an e510. But if he can afford the E3 or e620 then why not? It also seems logical that if he gets the newest technologies now, he will not be so quick to upgrade down the line. Stan
    Stan

-N-E-X- Founding Member
    (New England XFires)

Nex.Blackxfire@Yahoo.com
    www.CrossfireForum.Org

Olympus E510
    14-42mm f3.5/5.6
    40-150mm f3.5-4.5

i personally love the E-510 (i moved from the E300 to the 510 and love it since then) and i dont think i would replace it with a 620 or even a 520 anytime soon.

Thread Information