Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>

Tetons: E-520 w 70-300

I thought you guys might like to see this because it shows what the E-520 and ED 70-300mm lens can do. This was shot at ISO 400 and has been pushed pretty hard in Photoshop, so noise is definitely visible. But I don't find it really hurts the image. And I could still run noise-reduction software on it, if I wanted to. Further, it was shot handheld at 1/40th of a second at a focal length equivalent of 240mm (120mm). I think that's pretty impressive. I did brace myself on a railing when I shot it. But 1/40th of a second at that focal length is good, regardless. Being a guy who doesn't like to pack a tripod, I appreciate the built-in image stabilization

I've included a couple of 100% samples below so you can see the noise and detail clearly. I know one of the comparable Canon or Nikon bodies would have delivered a cleaner image. But that doesn't mean this is bad. However, I am starting to realize how much of a difference 16-bit files make. I think that may be one of the biggest differences between this camera and the 10-megapixel Canon and Nikon bodies.

I also posted the E-520 studio sample photos. You can see those here:

Olympus E-520 Studio Sample Photos >>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tetons: E-520 w 70-300-_7051727_smpl1.jpg   Tetons: E-520 w 70-300-_7051727_smpl2.jpg  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Tetons: E-520 w 70-300

Nice shots John. I agree the noise levels at higher ISO's is a good trade off when you can shoot shutter speeds that low without a tripod. I can shoot as low as 1/10 sec with the 14-54mm lens while drinking coffee. I have shot some night scenes with the E3 at 400 and 800 ISO and I am very impressed with the improvements in that area.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I thought you guys might like to see this because it shows what the E-520 and ED 70-300mm lens can do. This was shot at ISO 400 and has been pushed pretty hard in Photoshop, so noise is definitely visible. But I don't find it really hurts the image. And I could still run noise-reduction software on it, if I wanted to. Further, it was shot handheld at 1/40th of a second at a focal length equivalent of 240mm (120mm). I think that's pretty impressive. I did brace myself on a railing when I shot it. But 1/40th of a second at that focal length is good, regardless. Being a guy who doesn't like to pack a tripod, I appreciate the built-in image stabilization

I've included a couple of 100% samples below so you can see the noise and detail clearly. I know one of the comparable Canon or Nikon bodies would have delivered a cleaner image. But that doesn't mean this is bad. However, I am starting to realize how much of a difference 16-bit files make. I think that may be one of the biggest differences between this camera and the 10-megapixel Canon and Nikon bodies.

I also posted the E-520 studio sample photos. You can see those here:

Olympus E-520 Studio Sample Photos >>

Great photo!

Have you tried high level ISO (800 / 1600) for taking night scenes ? Do you think noise reduction should be closed to retain more details ?

Canon is really good at ISO control, you see the samples:

http://a.img-dpreview.com/gallery/ca...w/img_0148.jpg

http://a.img-dpreview.com/gallery/ca...w/img_0172.jpg

Are you serious about 16bit ? because Canon 450D / 40D just 14bit

Quote Originally Posted by ivan0o0
    Great photo!
    Have you tried high level ISO (800 / 1600) for taking night scenes ? Do you think noise reduction should be closed to retain more details ?
    The Olympus files are a bit on the soft side to begin with. So I am wary of using the noise reduction. I have other noise reduction software I'd rather use, if I feel I really need it. I have shot higher ISO. But with the built-in image stabilization, it's not usually necessary for the kind of shooting I usually do.

I will make sure to shoot some high ISO night photos to include in my review. I'm writing it now and it should be done soon.

Canon is really good at ISO control
    Here's a link to my Canon EOS XTi studio tests (XTi because it's 10-megapixel like the E-520. No doubt about it - Canon's image quality is better:

Canon EOS XTi / 400D Studio Sample Photos >>
    All Digital Camera Studio Sample Photos >>

Are you serious about 16bit ? because Canon 450D / 40D just 14bit
    That was a mistake. Thanks for catching it! I always get 16-bit TIFF files in Photoshop mixed up with 14-bit digital to analogue conversion. Too many numbers
    Photo-John

PJ:

Have you shot with the 50-200 also? I'd be interested to hear a photographer's comparison of the two, rather than just crunching numbers...
    Erik Williams

Olympus E3, E510
    12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD, 50 f/2 macro, EX25, FL36's and an FL50r.

Olympus 50-200mm

Quote Originally Posted by Sushigaijin
    PJ:

Have you shot with the 50-200 also? I'd be interested to hear a photographer's comparison of the two, rather than just crunching numbers...
    Sorry, I haven't used that lens.
    Photo-John

Whoa that's some serious noise but good photos nonetheless for the 70-300 at nearfull focal length. What time was it shot and where? I'd like to know how dark it was. I ran the house scene through in photoshop with noise ninja and I can say that it does make a really painterly (shot in heavy rain and moisture) look but the details are very small. I can post the image if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Kajuah
    Whoa that's some serious noise but good photos nonetheless for the 70-300 at nearfull focal length. What time was it shot and where? I'd like to know how dark it was. I ran the house scene through in photoshop with noise ninja and I can say that it does make a really painterly (shot in heavy rain and moisture) look but the details are very small. I can post the image if you want.
    Nawww, don't post it. Thanks for asking and commenting, though

This image has been pushed pretty hard in Photoshop, emphasizing the noise. But the E-520 definitely produces more noise than 10-megapixel DSLRs from other camera makers. It's a big improvement over the E-510. But if noise is your biggest concern, it's probably not the best camera. On the other hand, I shot this handheld, after sunset, at 240mm, without a special lens. And I still like the Olympus DSLRs the best for riding and skiing. I don't like to go over ISO 200 if I can help it, though. With the Canon bodies, I try not to go over ISO 400. But I'm willing to go to ISO 800 if I have to.
    Photo-John

Now that you mention it, john, and I take a closer look, this is bloody amazing.

Thread Information