Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>
    Katherine

E-620 and E-P1 price drop time frames?

Hey everyone,
    About how long does it take for the camera stores to start dropping their prices below MSRP on new camera models? I know the E-620 came out in March, and it still seems to be holding pretty steady. Is there much hope of the E-P1 going down any in the next year since it is such a unique camera with no real side by side competition? I know there is the second Olympus micro 4/3 due to either be released or announced in December, could that help some? Or will that be largely dependent on whether it's another PEN vs a more traditional SLR body style?
    Thanks!
    Katherine

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: E-620 and E-P1 price drop time frames?

Your crystal ball is as good as mine
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Liz

Re: E-620 and E-P1 price drop time frames?

Quote Originally Posted by Nyreth
    Hey everyone,
    About how long does it take for the camera stores to start dropping their prices below MSRP on new camera models? I know the E-620 came out in March, and it still seems to be holding pretty steady. Is there much hope of the E-P1 going down any in the next year since it is such a unique camera with no real side by side competition? I know there is the second Olympus micro 4/3 due to either be released or announced in December, could that help some? Or will that be largely dependent on whether it's another PEN vs a more traditional SLR body style?
    Thanks!
    Katherine
    Katherine,

Tough question - it really depends on the camera and if it is flying off the shelves or not as popular, etc. I would assume with the EP-1 it will be a while since it's selling so fast it's hard to find one. I doubt if the price will drop before the next upgrade comes along. Then it will drop. I don't know about the E-620, but I would assume if it's popular, the same would hold true. Also, I somehow find it hard to believe that an upgrade to the E-P1 will be out in December - but you never know.

Just my opinion.

Liz

Katherine

Thumbs up Re: E-620 and E-P1 price drop time frames?

SmartWombat, hmm, maybe not. You guys are more experience and thus wiser than I. ;)

Liz, I think you are correct on the December thing. Unless they introduced a new "pro" model, it just doesn't make sense. I did hear that they had some second camera body that stayed under a cover at a press conference when the E-P1 was unvieled. The body that stayed under wraps supposedly had the contors of the more traditional SLR's right now.
    I'm trying to be patient and at least make it to September to see what the deal with the EVF is going to be. But patience when it comes to acquiring new goodies has never been a strong point for me.

Thread Information