Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>

Upgrade to 14-54?

I've been using the E-520 since about the time that it first came out and the camera has served me well. At the time, I lusted after the 14-54 lens but it really was beyond my means.

However, now that the II version has come out, the original version can be found used for a reasonable price. From what I've read there are no significant differences between the lenses, other than more rounded aperture petals and better autofocus in live view (at least from what I've read). It seems to me this would be a worthwhile upgrade.

However, I'm a bit concerned about investing further in the Olympus 4/3 system as it seems there is a serious lack of cameras currently. The only new body is the E-5. Is it time to think about getting out of the E-system cameras or should I just happily keep clicking away and get some new glass?

Re: Upgrade to 14-54?

Well you don't say what you currently shoot but if its a kit lens I would definitely upgrade if you plan to use the camera for anymore length of time that is.
    The 14-54mm is quite a jump in performance from a kit lens. I actually picked one up at KEH this month. They are certainly a lot of lens for the money.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Yes for that focal length I currently have the 14-45mm kit lens. Thanks for the vote of confidence? Are the differences I outline between the 2 versions basically correct or are there other noticeable improvements in version 2?

No there's no real big difference you would notice. I think the MKII has CDAF but at this point with Olympus not making any new E mount bodies I think it doesn't really matter. I have the MKI and have no issues with sharpness or focusing. I also owned the 12-60mm at one point and I didn't see a big difference in focus speed between the two.
    The 12-60mm might be a better choice as it is just slightly sharper than the 14-54mm and the added focal length on both ends.
    The MKII might work better used with a m4/3rd body via the adapter but I really haven't tested it.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

The 12-60mm by all accounts seems like a better lens but even used is more than I'm willing to spend. Even if budget wasn't an issue I'd be reluctant to invest that much in a lens for a system that seems to be on its last legs.

I can understand that. I had the same dilemma with the 7-14mm.

Sony a99/a7R

Thread Information