• 03-25-2010, 01:47 PM
    DocMig
    Is there a 620 Replacement coming?
    I've been considering getting the Evolt 620 body.
    I didn't see that there was anything new after the PMA tradeshow.
    Any feedback on waiting or pulling the trigger now?

Any thoughts about the E30 vs. E620?

Thanks
  • 03-25-2010, 02:12 PM
    Greg McCary
    Re: Is there a 620 Replacement coming?
    I think the E30 probably has better IQ and lower noise than the 620. I think the E30 shares the same sensor as the E3. If I had to chose I would get the E30. As far as a replacement for the 620 I wouldn't even try and guess. I am sure there be a few new DSLR's coming out soon.
  • 03-25-2010, 02:53 PM
    Photo-John
    Re: Is there a 620 Replacement coming?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    I think the E30 probably has better IQ and lower noise than the 620. I think the E30 shares the same sensor as the E3. If I had to chose I would get the E30. As far as a replacement for the 620 I wouldn't even try and guess. I am sure there be a few new DSLR's coming out soon.

The E-30 and E-620 have the same sensor and processor so they should have the exact same image quality. I had the E-30 and as soon as I got the E-620 I stopped using the E-30 and never missed it. That's because smaller is better for me. I detected no performance difference between the two cameras.

Olympus hasn't announced any new digital SLRs. I did ask them about their intentions at PMA and they assured me they were going to continue developing SLRs. There hasn't been any word on anything new, though. My guess is it depends on the sensor. Panasonic and Olympus have really been milking that 12-megapixel sensor. And for good reason - it's a very nice sensor. But thhey need something new with lower noise for the next generation. Hopefully they won't get caught up in the resolution race. I think 12-megapixels is just fine. Lower noise should be the main goal. And video. I'd love a camera with the E-620 body and features that can also do video.

But - if you're wondering if you should wait - I wouldn't. A camera in the hand is better than two birds in a bushy tree - or something like that... :)