Tetons: E-520 w 70-300

Printable View

• 07-11-2008, 09:49 AM
    Photo-John
    2 Attachment(s)
    Tetons: E-520 w 70-300
    http://gallery.photographyreview.com...06/7051727.jpg

I thought you guys might like to see this because it shows what the E-520 and ED 70-300mm lens can do. This was shot at ISO 400 and has been pushed pretty hard in Photoshop, so noise is definitely visible. But I don't find it really hurts the image. And I could still run noise-reduction software on it, if I wanted to. Further, it was shot handheld at 1/40th of a second at a focal length equivalent of 240mm (120mm). I think that's pretty impressive. I did brace myself on a railing when I shot it. But 1/40th of a second at that focal length is good, regardless. Being a guy who doesn't like to pack a tripod, I appreciate the built-in image stabilization :D

I've included a couple of 100% samples below so you can see the noise and detail clearly. I know one of the comparable Canon or Nikon bodies would have delivered a cleaner image. But that doesn't mean this is bad. However, I am starting to realize how much of a difference 16-bit files make. I think that may be one of the biggest differences between this camera and the 10-megapixel Canon and Nikon bodies.

I also posted the E-520 studio sample photos. You can see those here:

Olympus E-520 Studio Sample Photos >>
  • 07-11-2008, 10:00 AM
    Greg McCary
    Re: Tetons: E-520 w 70-300
    Nice shots John. I agree the noise levels at higher ISO's is a good trade off when you can shoot shutter speeds that low without a tripod. I can shoot as low as 1/10 sec with the 14-54mm lens while drinking coffee. I have shot some night scenes with the E3 at 400 and 800 ISO and I am very impressed with the improvements in that area.
  • 07-23-2008, 03:03 AM
    ivan0o0
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I thought you guys might like to see this because it shows what the E-520 and ED 70-300mm lens can do. This was shot at ISO 400 and has been pushed pretty hard in Photoshop, so noise is definitely visible. But I don't find it really hurts the image. And I could still run noise-reduction software on it, if I wanted to. Further, it was shot handheld at 1/40th of a second at a focal length equivalent of 240mm (120mm). I think that's pretty impressive. I did brace myself on a railing when I shot it. But 1/40th of a second at that focal length is good, regardless. Being a guy who doesn't like to pack a tripod, I appreciate the built-in image stabilization :D

I've included a couple of 100% samples below so you can see the noise and detail clearly. I know one of the comparable Canon or Nikon bodies would have delivered a cleaner image. But that doesn't mean this is bad. However, I am starting to realize how much of a difference 16-bit files make. I think that may be one of the biggest differences between this camera and the 10-megapixel Canon and Nikon bodies.

I also posted the E-520 studio sample photos. You can see those here:

Olympus E-520 Studio Sample Photos >>

Great photo!

Have you tried high level ISO (800 / 1600) for taking night scenes ? Do you think noise reduction should be closed to retain more details ?

Canon is really good at ISO control, you see the samples:

http://a.img-dpreview.com/gallery/ca...w/img_0148.jpg

http://a.img-dpreview.com/gallery/ca...w/img_0172.jpg

Are you serious about 16bit ? because Canon 450D / 40D just 14bit
  • 07-23-2008, 08:10 AM
    Photo-John
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ivan0o0
    Great photo!
    Have you tried high level ISO (800 / 1600) for taking night scenes ? Do you think noise reduction should be closed to retain more details ?

The Olympus files are a bit on the soft side to begin with. So I am wary of using the noise reduction. I have other noise reduction software I'd rather use, if I feel I really need it. I have shot higher ISO. But with the built-in image stabilization, it's not usually necessary for the kind of shooting I usually do.

I will make sure to shoot some high ISO night photos to include in my review. I'm writing it now and it should be done soon.

Quote:

Canon is really good at ISO control

Here's a link to my Canon EOS XTi studio tests (XTi because it's 10-megapixel like the E-520. No doubt about it - Canon's image quality is better:

Canon EOS XTi / 400D Studio Sample Photos >>
    All Digital Camera Studio Sample Photos >>

Quote:

Are you serious about 16bit ? because Canon 450D / 40D just 14bit

That was a mistake. Thanks for catching it! I always get 16-bit TIFF files in Photoshop mixed up with 14-bit digital to analogue conversion. Too many numbers :) :rolleyes:
  • 07-23-2008, 10:32 AM
    Sushigaijin
    PJ:

Have you shot with the 50-200 also? I'd be interested to hear a photographer's comparison of the two, rather than just crunching numbers...
  • 07-23-2008, 10:35 AM
    Photo-John
    Olympus 50-200mm
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sushigaijin
    PJ:

Have you shot with the 50-200 also? I'd be interested to hear a photographer's comparison of the two, rather than just crunching numbers...

Sorry, I haven't used that lens.
  • 07-23-2008, 03:05 PM
    Kajuah
    Whoa that's some serious noise but good photos nonetheless for the 70-300 at nearfull focal length. What time was it shot and where? I'd like to know how dark it was. I ran the house scene through in photoshop with noise ninja and I can say that it does make a really painterly (shot in heavy rain and moisture) look but the details are very small. I can post the image if you want.
  • 07-24-2008, 07:26 PM
    Photo-John
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kajuah
    Whoa that's some serious noise but good photos nonetheless for the 70-300 at nearfull focal length. What time was it shot and where? I'd like to know how dark it was. I ran the house scene through in photoshop with noise ninja and I can say that it does make a really painterly (shot in heavy rain and moisture) look but the details are very small. I can post the image if you want.

Nawww, don't post it. Thanks for asking and commenting, though :)

This image has been pushed pretty hard in Photoshop, emphasizing the noise. But the E-520 definitely produces more noise than 10-megapixel DSLRs from other camera makers. It's a big improvement over the E-510. But if noise is your biggest concern, it's probably not the best camera. On the other hand, I shot this handheld, after sunset, at 240mm, without a special lens. And I still like the Olympus DSLRs the best for riding and skiing. I don't like to go over ISO 200 if I can help it, though. With the Canon bodies, I try not to go over ISO 400. But I'm willing to go to ISO 800 if I have to.
  • 07-26-2008, 05:16 PM
    Kajuah
    Now that you mention it, john, and I take a closer look, this is bloody amazing.