Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>

TeleConverter & Extension Tube

I have an E520 and the following lenses: 14-42 (kit) 40-150 (kit) 9-18mm, 70-300mm & 35mm Macro. I've only had these since August of this year and am enjoying learning to not only use a DSLR but also what these lenses are capable of doing (or should that be, what I am capable of doing with them :blush2: )

I am considering purchasing the EC20 TeleConverter and the EX25 Extension Tube of which I think I could use with all ? or most of the lenses I have ?
    I've have also read a lot that the Extension Tube is highly recommended for use with the 50mm Macro Lens, so would it be of much benefit to the 35mm ?

I like taking macro or close-up shots but I don't limit myself to just that, I guess I really just love taking photos of anything (if that makes any sense)

would love to get feedback form anyone that uses the Converter and/or Tube with any of the lenses I have. Thanks :thumbsup:

Re: TeleConverter & Extension Tube

I have a EC14, it is 1.4x and i do not use it other than my 300mm lens during the day, i do have a 50mm f2 and tried the teleconverter and to tell u the truth with the 1.4x factor i didnt see a huge difference.
    Olympus E-5
    Olympus Zuiko Digital Ed 14-35mm F2.0 Swd
    Olympus Zuiko Digital Ed 50-200mm F2.8-3.5
    Olympus Zuiko Digital Ed 12-60mm F2.8/4.0 Swd
    Olympus Zuiko Digital Ed 7-14mm F4.0
    Sigma 30mm F1.4
    Olympus FL-50R Flash

I write this all of the time but here goes again. I really think your best bet from the equipment you got is to swing for the 14-54mm lens. It does great macros, is weather sealed and smokes the 14-42mm in performance.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

I have used the extension tube with the 45-150 with good luck and have also used the 70-300 with nothing else with good luck for macro. The extension tube will not work on the 14-42. Here are some samples, first picture with the 45-150 and EX-25 extension tube and the second picture with just the 70-300. I also have an EC-20 for sale as it is never used.

thankyou all for your replies/advice.

Greg, you have convinced me on the merits of the 14-54mm lens :thumbsup: .... I am forgoing the idea of the tele-converter and extension tube for now and have just gone and ordered this lens this morning, ($899.00 AUD) I should have it mid week .... and am looking forward to using it.

Prior to posting this thread I had searched through other similar threads and had taken note of your very high recommendations for this lens.

bikefreax, love your photos they are awesome.

Thanks, the fly is actually on the Olympus web site home page as part of the rotating pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by bikefreax
    Thanks, the fly is actually on the Olympus web site home page as part of the rotating pictures.
    The pictures are very beautiful.:aureola: :aureola:

Thanks, I did not mean to hijack this thread but I wanted to post samples of using the extension tube with the 40-150 and the 70-300mm without.

no worries bikefreax, I appreciate and thankyou for posting the photos :thumbsup: , as the extension tube is still on my to get list !!!

Thread Information