Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>
    Marc

Question Olympus 510's ability to White Balance Successfully

I'm attempting to DIY 2 narrow table top 55 Watt 3500K Flourescent Lights (F55W2D) that are actually dimmable for table top use with a tent.
    These lamps are only 8" x 8" as I'm doing only Macro and small items and should provide even lighting plus they will be dimmable.

My only concern is that they are 3500K and presently no one manufacturers a 5700K equivilant.

Question: My Olympus 510 has settings for these applications, but will setting the white balance to either 4000 / 4500 / 6600K / or Custom equal that of a true 5700K specific designed Lamp? Will it result in off color?

The other reason for this DIY is that I have very little area to set this up and these lamps will only have a total depth of 3 1/2" and will allow me to place these quite close to the tent, getting these lamps gratis is another incentive!

Re: Olympus 510's ability to White Balance Successfully

You should be able to custom set the white balance to correct for the lights. If you shoot in RAW you can also tweak and tune until you get the results you want. Olympus Master 2 and Lightroom can set the WB to your spec. Good luck and let us know how it turns out. Maybe a picture, before and after....Thanks
    The colors should come out true. It would be best in my opinion to shot RAW. Plus many color and tint corrections can be made in post processing as well
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Custom white balance is definitely the way to go for this kind of situation. It's the right thing to do for any consistently lit studio shooting. I have a custom white balance for my studio and it works really, really well. It's much better than the tungsten preset I would otherwise use with my Photoflex hot lights.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

T-M

Use the E-510's One Touch White Balance. You'll have a dead-on white balance for your setup that you can register in the camera. Of course, if you are using a dimming setup that color balance is going to walk around.

To revive an old thread...

I know this is a different case, but here are a couple of shots of my 4-year old son, just a few seconds apart. This was indoors, with ambient morning light from the windows.

Strange that the E-510 metered the WB so differently for the same scene (using Auto WB).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Olympus 510's ability to White Balance Successfully-p7010286_res.jpg   Olympus 510's ability to White Balance Successfully-p7010290_res.jpg  

T-M

Use One-Touch White balance. The color will be dead on.

Quote Originally Posted by T-M
    Use One-Touch White balance. The color will be dead on.
    Ye. I have my function button configured to do just that

Thread Information