Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>
    Capturing Life Frame by Frame Tangletamergirl65's Avatar

Getting aquainted with my new IR filter

I have been out playing today as I am off to Cali in 2 weeks. I bought a Hoya IR filter(r72) after seeing Gary McCary's recent images and this is what I have so far. I am going to list how I did each one and I would aprreciate any input. I want to take some desert and Ghost town images while I am out west so I want to get this right before I go. Here we go!!:idea: #1 4sec @f8 Iso 100/normal gradation monochrome--#2 2sec @f5.5 ISO 100/normal gradation monochrome----#3 15sec @f11 ISO 100/vivid +1 contrast high Key gradation
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Getting aquainted with my new IR filter-p4222953a.jpg   Getting aquainted with my new IR filter-p4222955a.jpg   Getting aquainted with my new IR filter-p4222990a.jpg  

Re: Getting aquainted with my new IR filter

Those are good. Thanks for sharing these here. My exposure usally runs higher than those. Around 6-15 sec. I convert them by first running them through neat image, then an auto levels or curves. Then go to channel mixer and in the red drop down, drop the red from 100 to 0 and the blue from 0 to 100, then go to the blue drop down and raise the red from 0-100 and the blue from 100 to 0. Leave the green channel alone. Then it's a matter of some hue and saturation adjustments to tweak it in. I shot them in raw but hardly ever make adjustments in Raw Shooter. This is certainly the time of year for this with everything green. It's also best to shot on bright days.
    Thanks for sharing, Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

i dont get it. its purple.

Capturing Life Frame by Frame Tangletamergirl65's Avatar

Well picturetaker, these were all taken on different settings but all with an IR filter. The first two were shot in monochrome and the purple one was shot in color. The point to this lesson for me was what image is produced using one of these filters. There was no real getting it to the purple. I was simply testing the filter to see what it would do under different settings.

Thread Information