Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>

Some New Stuff From My New Oly!

I have been in a picture taking frenzy tonight. I have even dug out the old monopod/quick release head combo, and have been trying all kinds of settings with the onboard flash and with my SunPak flash.

These were all taken using my E-500/w 14-45mm and built in or SunPak flash....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Some New Stuff From My New Oly!-_1080310.jpg   Some New Stuff From My New Oly!-_1090359.jpg   Some New Stuff From My New Oly!-_1090360.jpg   Some New Stuff From My New Oly!-_1090361.jpg   Some New Stuff From My New Oly!-_1090362.jpg  

John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Re: Some New Stuff From My New Oly!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Some New Stuff From My New Oly!-_1080306.jpg   Some New Stuff From My New Oly!-_1080317.jpg   Some New Stuff From My New Oly!-_1080313.jpg   Some New Stuff From My New Oly!-_1090363.jpg   Some New Stuff From My New Oly!-_1080311.jpg  

John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

I like that last blue one.

I saw you posted a review for your camera, but I haven't read it yet. I noted that it wasn't a 5, though. What don't you like about it? In what areas do you feel it falls short? From this post it sounds like it's got you re-energized. That's one of the bonuses of a new camera that can be forgotten. New equipment usually gets me a little more motivated to play around and experiment.

By the way, I got to this thread through the gallery. You should update the info on your photos in the gallery. It would be nice to have the E500 associated with the photos you just uploaded.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I like that last blue one.

I saw you posted a review for your camera, but I haven't read it yet. I noted that it wasn't a 5, though. What don't you like about it? In what areas do you feel it falls short? From this post it sounds like it's got you re-energized. That's one of the bonuses of a new camera that can be forgotten. New equipment usually gets me a little more motivated to play around and experiment.
    Hey Johnny Boy,

Thanks dude, There is not much that I "don't" like about this camera, but no camera is perfect. I know that I have, in the past, rated other cameras 5 out of 5, but if I had been more experienced in digital imaging at the time I more than likely would not have done so. If I could have I would have given it a 4 1/2 rather than a 4.

My value rating for the E-500 was a 5, and I stand behind that. But the only "perfect" camera I have ever owned was the Pentax ME Super.

The things that bug me are not major issues, but enough for me to consider them in my overall rating for sure.

The lack of a second control wheel with no aperture selection on the lens barrel bothers me, albeit, it bothers me about other models too. I have always believed that aperture selection belongs on the lens. The control dial is just slightly cumbersome to use when the camera is at eye level, but I am adjusting to that.

The screen, which is simply stunning BTW, can blind me in low light when I am trying to look through the VF, so I kinda have to waste a bit of time turning it on and off, though it is just a one button press.

Focus By Wire is a needless bit of fluff that is just there to impress people that don't know any better. I find it utterly useless, as I did with my Minolta 7i. However it bothers me much less than it would if I had better eyesight. As it is a rarely attempt to manual focus outside of macro anyway. I suppose it would work better if the focus ring just offered a bit of resistance, but as is, it just glides by the focus so fast it's hard to get a lock.

Finally, the lack of a battery grip is a bit of a pain, but not enough to really sway my vote. I kinda got tired of the one on my D60, but there are times I sure miss it.

None of this stuff ruins the camera for me. I am pretty sure that barring some unforeseen innovation on the side of other camera manufactures, I am a true 4/3 system convert. I love my camera, and I love the direction that Oly is taking with the E-400. I love my ME Super and the idea of having a DSLR based on that design really makes my heart skip a beat!

By the way, I got to this thread through the gallery. You should update the info on your photos in the gallery. It would be nice to have the E500 associated with the photos you just uploaded.
    Yeah, I have been doing this just for that reason. I just have not gotten around to it on this batch of photos yet.
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Quote Originally Posted by almo

Focus By Wire is a needless bit of fluff that is just there to impress people that don't know any better.
    What exactly is focus by wire? I own a E-500 too and love it so....although I am having focus issues which should be getting fixed by OLY, but is Focus by wire a focus technique or something? Is it a feature if the E-500. Please explain. Im a noob photographer (actually I would even classify myself as that) and I am eager to learn all and everything I can :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by Changedsoul
    What exactly is focus by wire? I own a E-500 too and love it so....although I am having focus issues which should be getting fixed by OLY, but is Focus by wire a focus technique or something? Is it a feature if the E-500. Please explain. Im a noob photographer (actually I would even classify myself as that) and I am eager to learn all and everything I can :thumbsup:
    Focus by wire is the way in which E-system lenses achieve manual focus. Think of it like a fighter jet fly by wire system. there is no direct mechanical control over the focus, instead a sensor in the lens detects the movement of the focus ring and communicates this to a processor which in turn sends instructions to the focusing system ( the same one that controls focus during auto focus ) and this causes the lens elements to shift inside the lens.

It's a newer technology, but in my opinion it is not a better one. So,e things just do not need to be replaced.
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Thread Information