• 07-22-2009, 06:48 AM
    Dave6223
    So, whats wrog with Olympus?
    Not trying to be confrontational here, just thought it might be interesting to see what people think. I see everyone talking Nikon and Canon, and I realise there is some truth to be learned from the numbers, but I have found the quality and ease of use from my 510 to be really respectable, especially for the money I paid.

Added to that the quality of the Zuiko lenses is superb, probably the best kit lenses of any manefacturer. Mt Zuiko OM fit lenses are doing a good job too, My 50mm 1.8 gives me a fine 100mm telephoto equivalent with speed.

Any comments?

Dave
  • 07-22-2009, 08:07 AM
    Liz
    Re: So, whats wrog with Olympus?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave6223
    Not trying to be confrontational here, just thought it might be interesting to see what people think. I see everyone talking Nikon and Canon, and I realise there is some truth to be learned from the numbers, but I have found the quality and ease of use from my 510 to be really respectable, especially for the money I paid.

Added to that the quality of the Zuiko lenses is superb, probably the best kit lenses of any manefacturer. Mt Zuiko OM fit lenses are doing a good job too, My 50mm 1.8 gives me a fine 100mm telephoto equivalent with speed.

Any comments?

Dave

Dave,

You're not being confrontational! It's interesting, but yesterday I was wondering about Olympus - and my thoughts were similar to yours. The E-P1 is the first time I've ever used anything Olympus. I've always had Canon cameras and lenses with the exception of the Panasonic LX3 - it just happened that way since Canon was my first camera purchase.

At any rate I was looking at the results I've been getting from the Olympus 14-42 "kit" lens and thinking to myself that this lens gives the best IQ on any kit lens I've ever seen or tried. Also, the E-P1 M4/3 camera is one of the best cameras I've ever used, ahead of some of the other brands in many ways. And I wondered why it had never occurred to me to check out Olympus before.

Great question. Thanks for posting it. Maybe more people with look into Olympus now, especially with the new 4/3 and M4/3 systems.

Liz
  • 07-22-2009, 08:22 AM
    OldClicker
    Well, Canikon has about 85% of the DSLR market and Oly about 3% - about 28/1 ratio. So if you see more than one recommendation per every 28 Canikons, Oly wins. - TF
  • 07-22-2009, 10:29 AM
    SmartWombat
    What's wrong? Nothing.
    They just aren't the market leader in digital.

My last Olympus was a pair of OM10s - still have them in a bag somewhere.
    I'm looking at the micro 4/3 EP-1 as a pocket camera, to replace the Canon G9.
  • 07-22-2009, 11:15 AM
    Atomic2
    Theres nothing wrong with Olympus, just like there is nothing wrong with Pentax, or Sigma, or Sony...

Tha majority of new camera buyers just buy what ever is the most popular and well supported model, and the ones that actually stick with the hobby find it easier to upgrade in the same family they're already invested in.
  • 07-22-2009, 11:27 AM
    usnirmal
    bandwagoning or i dont know what, it depends on the photographers right, not the camera to get a great shot... however, when it comes to DSLR everyone is Canon or Nikon... thats a tough question to answer right... i guess all the cameras have the capacity to take great pic.. may be canon and nikon are a little better, i dont know man. i am a canon person as well... however, they are all the same.
  • 07-22-2009, 03:01 PM
    SmartWombat
    All the same? Definitely not !
    They all have their own features.
    Olympus and Pentax have the in-camera stabilisation, not in-lens.
    Sony have live view from a second sensor in the pentaprism.
    Sigma has the Foveon 3-layer sensor.
    Nikon seem to have the high ISO low noise lead at the moment.
  • 07-22-2009, 03:10 PM
    OldClicker
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    All the same? Definitely not !
    They all have their own features.
    Olympus and Pentax have the in-camera stabilisation, not in-lens.
    Sony have live view from a second sensor in the pentaprism.
    Sigma has the Foveon 3-layer sensor.
    Nikon seem to have the high ISO low noise lead at the moment.

"Olympus and Pentax [and Sony] have the in-camera stabilisation, not in-lens."
  • 07-23-2009, 12:36 AM
    Dave6223
    Thanks everyone. As I said, I just got the impression that Oly weren't getting a fair shake of the stick. Zuiko lenses were always amongst the best for me, and I reeally believe with your help and a realisation of the 510's limitations, my pictures are going to improve big style. Nikn? Canon?
    Hah!

Dave