Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>

Question Slow AF on E-510???

Hi All.

I got my E-510 last June and am thoroughly enjoying it.

However, I'm finding that the AF seems to be EXCRUCIATINGLY slow for indoor shots
    I have the 2-lens kit (14-42mm and 40-150mm), and shoot mostly with the 14-42.

Is this a problem inherent with the E-510 or is(are) the lens(es) to blame for the slow AF?

Furthermore, when I pop-up the flash to use as an AF-assist lamp, it just fires over and over, annoying the heck out of my subjects, or worse, makes them dizzy and gives them a headache :blush2:

I'm starting to feel buyer's remorse, especially as my wife is frustrated with the so many lost shots of my 10-month old son due to the slow AF

Re: Slow AF on E-510???

In low light, the AF of the kit lenses is not lightning fast. The 14-54 and presumably the 12-60 are much faster. A lot of this has to do with build quality and maximum aperture - an F/2.8 lens lets more light in for the AF sensor to work with than an F/3.5 lens, and the pro grade lenses are designed to be faster in the first place. Increasing the ambient light should help things a bit. Also, try focusing on areas with detail rather than expanses of the same color or pattern - the AF sensor relies on detail to detect the distance to subject, and will perform better if it has detail to work with. Every little bit helps, right?

As for the AF assist strobe, it is indeed annoying. I turned mine to "OFF" and I don't think it takes any longer to find focus, although it does periodically fail to find any focus at all. Again, detail and ambient light helps.

A couple things to try: Try manual focus if AF is failing you, or dish out the $400 for the 14-54. Theory says that the 50mm f/2 macro would be a good choice also, and indeed it is a GREAT low light lens - but since it is a macro lens, it does sometimes hunt for focus.
    Erik Williams

Olympus E3, E510
    12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD, 50 f/2 macro, EX25, FL36's and an FL50r.

Sushigaijin pretty much said it all. As for the on board AF assist, I gotta agree that you should just turn the AF assist off, it's more annoying than helpful.

Slow AF is not a problem with the 510, but probably the lens. I've used the 14-54, and currently use the 12-60, and both focus well, even in relatively low light. The 12-60 snaps to focus in an instant in adequate light. I've only had AF problems with it when it's been so dark that I need to use long exposures, like 3+ seconds. The 50mm macro finds focus alright, but I find it's relatively slow compared to the 12-60...

If you are in the market at all for an external flash, try that avenue. The Oly flashes have a near fool proof AF beam assist (you can AF on a white wall in a pitch black room).

Erik and albot pretty much summed it up. The kit lens isn't the best in low light. The 14-54 is much faster. The camera needs light to focus and the bigger the lens the more light it has.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    Erik and albot pretty much summed it up. The kit lens isn't the best in low light. The 14-54 is much faster. The camera needs light to focus and the bigger the lens the more light it has.
    Thanks a lot guys. 'really appreciate the inputs.

I'm seriously considering the 14-54mm, especially after reading the threads extolling its virtues (particularly by Greg and Sushigaijin :thumbsup. But the price is a little too steep for now.

I'll be asking more about that lens in another thread (attn: Greg McCary :yesnod

Thread Information