Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>

Resetting the E-500

Is there any way to reset the firmware/software on the E-500? I am getting a card door open message and can't seem to get past this.

Re: Resetting the E-500

Have you ever upgraded firmware. What version do you have?
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

I'm assuming that there is an internal battery (for the clock), pulling this and waiting 15 seconds before reinserting may do the trick.
    Please ask before editing my photos, I'll say yes

I like to take the pictures...

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    Have you ever upgraded firmware. What version do you have?
    I have just tried that as I have now found the cable lol. But the PC won't detect the camera as it won't go past this error screen, Any ideas how to get round that? I have taken the battery out to see if that resets it.

It sounds as if the switch has just went bad. You might want to send it off or shop for a new camera. As a last ditch effort short of sending it off I would take the back cover off and see if I could jump out the switch. I am not sure how good of a DIY person you are. If you are uncomfortable with that you just need to weigh the options of the cost of repairs to the value of the camera. Maybe time for the 510 or 520.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    As a last ditch effort short of sending it off I would take the back cover off and see if I could jump out the switch. I am not sure how good of a DIY person you are. If you are uncomfortable with that you just need to weigh the options of the cost of repairs to the value of the camera. Maybe time for the 510 or 520.
    Jumping the switch may be a good idea in this situation, you'd just need to turn the camera off before swapping the card.

Then again this depends on how the switch is oriented. If open(switch off)=door open, closed (switch on)=shut you are all set. The reverse of this (unlikely) would mean no dice, unless you wanted to cut some wires/leads.

Then again the 510/520/420 are all very nice cameras, sometimes it's time to upgrade and move on.

Good Luck!!
    Please ask before editing my photos, I'll say yes

I like to take the pictures...

Well I phones Olympus on Monday and told them what the problem was and he said it sounded like the switch was faulty. Then he told me that it had a 2 year warrany on it as I purchased it in the UK so hopfully it will be repaired or replaced at no cost. Fingers crossed

Thread Information