Recommend a flash

Printable View

• 01-15-2011, 01:11 PM
    cruzthepug
    Recommend a flash
    My wife has signed up our female pug to attend a "Dog Ball" which is a benifit fund raiser for the humane society. The "Dog Ball" will be held at our local civic center, and will include a dog presentation and of course my wife wants pictures. Since I mainly shoot outdoors I don't use a flash that much. Shooting family functions indoors I usually just use the built in flash on my E510 but I do have a cheap hot shoe mount flash. Not exactly sure how good the lighting will be, I imagine pretty descent, I think I will need a flash to help fill in where needed.

Any recommendations?
  • 01-15-2011, 06:58 PM
    micha56170
    Re: Recommend a flash
    Do you mean the VBC?
    If yes, a flash really wouldn't help because of the distance in the large rooms.
    If it's in the smaller ones, use the 50-200 wide open, an ISO of 800 and a flash with not less than 50 FN, i.e. the FL-50R from Olympus (expensive!!) or an Metz model in this range. Keep your hands off from Quantaray and Sigma, either Oly or Metz are the best and can be re-used later with an upgraded model. But you should also ask, if flash is allowed during the show, sometime it isn't, than use a tripod or monopod.
    Mike
  • 01-15-2011, 07:46 PM
    cruzthepug
    Quote:

Originally Posted by micha56170
    Do you mean the VBC?
    If yes, a flash really wouldn't help because of the distance in the large rooms.
    If it's in the smaller ones, use the 50-200 wide open, an ISO of 800 and a flash with not less than 50 FN, i.e. the FL-50R from Olympus (expensive!!) or an Metz model in this range. Keep your hands off from Quantaray and Sigma, either Oly or Metz are the best and can be re-used later with an upgraded model. But you should also ask, if flash is allowed during the show, sometime it isn't, than use a tripod or monopod.
    Mike

Yep, the VBC, South Hall. Not sure of the setup so I'm not sure how close I'll be able to get. I imagine I should be able to get pretty close to the action. This is kinda like a beauty pagent for dogs, so they will walk the stage/runway. I think my wife is a bit crazy but she did get Red Lobster to sponsor the $200 entry fee, and it does go to a good cause. The no name ebay flash I've got would probably do the job but the recycle time is horrible so this is an excuse to buy a descent flash
  • 01-16-2011, 05:00 AM
    Greg McCary
    I think the FL-50 is going to be your best bet. I don't think the 510 can do wireless. I know someone that has a FL-36 and the recycle time is a little long and really is'nt the most powerful choice at a distance or in large rooms.
    If you are going to shoot a ton of shots you might try and find a grip as well. It will also help shorten recycle times.
  • 01-16-2011, 05:09 PM
    rubeel
    for the same price as the FL-50R you can get a metz 58 which has a little bit more range