Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>

Recommend a flash

My wife has signed up our female pug to attend a "Dog Ball" which is a benifit fund raiser for the humane society. The "Dog Ball" will be held at our local civic center, and will include a dog presentation and of course my wife wants pictures. Since I mainly shoot outdoors I don't use a flash that much. Shooting family functions indoors I usually just use the built in flash on my E510 but I do have a cheap hot shoe mount flash. Not exactly sure how good the lighting will be, I imagine pretty descent, I think I will need a flash to help fill in where needed.

Any recommendations?
    Olympus Evolt E-510
    Olympus 14-42mm f3.5-5.6
    Olympus 40-150mm F4.0-5.6
    Olympus 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 ED
    Olympus 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5
    Sony DSC-HX5V

My Blog

Re: Recommend a flash

Do you mean the VBC?
    If yes, a flash really wouldn't help because of the distance in the large rooms.
    If it's in the smaller ones, use the 50-200 wide open, an ISO of 800 and a flash with not less than 50 FN, i.e. the FL-50R from Olympus (expensive!!) or an Metz model in this range. Keep your hands off from Quantaray and Sigma, either Oly or Metz are the best and can be re-used later with an upgraded model. But you should also ask, if flash is allowed during the show, sometime it isn't, than use a tripod or monopod.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by micha56170
    Do you mean the VBC?
    If yes, a flash really wouldn't help because of the distance in the large rooms.
    If it's in the smaller ones, use the 50-200 wide open, an ISO of 800 and a flash with not less than 50 FN, i.e. the FL-50R from Olympus (expensive!!) or an Metz model in this range. Keep your hands off from Quantaray and Sigma, either Oly or Metz are the best and can be re-used later with an upgraded model. But you should also ask, if flash is allowed during the show, sometime it isn't, than use a tripod or monopod.
    Mike
    Yep, the VBC, South Hall. Not sure of the setup so I'm not sure how close I'll be able to get. I imagine I should be able to get pretty close to the action. This is kinda like a beauty pagent for dogs, so they will walk the stage/runway. I think my wife is a bit crazy but she did get Red Lobster to sponsor the $200 entry fee, and it does go to a good cause. The no name ebay flash I've got would probably do the job but the recycle time is horrible so this is an excuse to buy a descent flash
    Olympus Evolt E-510
    Olympus 14-42mm f3.5-5.6
    Olympus 40-150mm F4.0-5.6
    Olympus 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 ED
    Olympus 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5
    Sony DSC-HX5V

My Blog

I think the FL-50 is going to be your best bet. I don't think the 510 can do wireless. I know someone that has a FL-36 and the recycle time is a little long and really is'nt the most powerful choice at a distance or in large rooms.
    If you are going to shoot a ton of shots you might try and find a grip as well. It will also help shorten recycle times.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

for the same price as the FL-50R you can get a metz 58 which has a little bit more range
    Olympus E-5
    Olympus Zuiko Digital Ed 14-35mm F2.0 Swd
    Olympus Zuiko Digital Ed 50-200mm F2.8-3.5
    Olympus Zuiko Digital Ed 12-60mm F2.8/4.0 Swd
    Olympus Zuiko Digital Ed 7-14mm F4.0
    Sigma 30mm F1.4
    Olympus FL-50R Flash

Thread Information