• 03-04-2010, 06:04 AM
    Jaedon
    question for the E3 users.
    Do you use either the battery grip or have you attempted to use a shutter release cable?

I have tried both in the past few days and neither seems to work. I am asking to see if there is some sort of software setting I need to adjust to make it work in order to determine if I need to make a trip for repairs or not..

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.
  • 03-04-2010, 01:38 PM
    calexp
    Re: question for the E3 users.
    The battery grip for E-3 (HLD-4) has a lock/unlock switch. You may have it to the lock position.
    The remote cable release for E-3 (RM-CB1) also has a lock switch but it's for the shutter for long exposures.
    Also check that you have RM-CB1, not RM-UC1. RM-UC1 does not work with E-3, works only with E-4xx/E-5xx/E-6xx and E-30.
    Hope that helps.
  • 03-04-2010, 05:46 PM
    bikefreax
    I have both the grip and the cheap ebay cable release and do not have any problems.
  • 03-04-2010, 06:23 PM
    Jaedon
    Thanks guys.

Calexp I tried the lock switch in both positions and nothing worked. It seems this body has an issue with it. It simply will not work with any shutter release other than the one on the body so it goes in for repairs tomorrow.

bikefreax -thanx for the help. I was begining to think I was a camera noob all over again.
  • 03-06-2010, 07:18 AM
    Jaedon
    Ok I had the camera replaced yesterday (since I bought it less than 90 days ago and I purchased the extended warranty) and I am still having the same issues.

My Battery grip is on the way back for replacement now just in case but the shutter release cable is in fine shape, no breaks in the cable (tested with me trusty little electronics tester) and yet all it manages to do is trigger the AF to work and it will not release the shutter.

Can anyone think of anything I might be missing here? I have been through every menu function several times and I cannot find anything that is helping.

***edit*** I just sent an email to Olympus support in hopes that there is soem mystery setting tha tI am missing somewhere.***
  • 03-06-2010, 07:54 AM
    calexp
    Glad you have your E-3 replaced!:thumbsup:
    The cable release button has the same function as the shutter button on the body - half press to AF, full press to shutter release.
    Try to reset the camera to defaults to be sure.
    You can reset all settings to defaults on E-3 through the menus or by leaving it without battery for at least 48 hours (date/time also lost with this one).
    Also try to use MF (Manual Focus) to see if it's working - maybe for some reason (lighting conditions, contrast of subject,...) the camera cannot lock focus and does not release the shutter.
    Nothing else comes to mind...
  • 03-06-2010, 09:02 AM
    Jaedon
    the camera is locking focus and still not releasing the shutter. I always shoot in full manual including focus so we're good there as well. I will try resetting to defaults but I do not think that will help. as it was all default settings when my journey began and it did not work then either.

frustration is my new middle name.
  • 03-06-2010, 01:19 PM
    Atomic2
    very peculiar.... I have never had this issue with my grip...