Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>
    Buglin Billy

Just purchases the 50-200 Zukio Lens

I've read quite a bit on this lens and hopefully I will be able to get some great images with it out of my ground blinds at wild critters. I plan to use a tripod on most of the occasions. That's is something I have not done too much. I also plan to use a cable release.

With that said, I have always shot most of my images by holding the camera in my hand and taking advantage of the camera's stabilization system. But I notice is says if you shoot off a tripod to turn it off. Can anyone tell me why, and what would be the results if left it on, versus shutting it off.

Here are a couple hand held images I took last fall. Hopefully with this lens and the tripod I can improve on the images greatly.

Thanks in advance for any information you might give. Have a good one. BB

Re: Just purchases the 50-200 Zukio Lens

I think you have it backwards. Turn it off if on a tripod and on if off tripod. I am not sure why but I think maybe really long exposures could maybe damage the IS system, but don't quote me on that it's just a guess. You might play around with it but I have used mine shooting soccer games in good light and have had no trouble with blurry images.
    The tripod mount has really became just a nice handle for me. It is a stellar lens and one of Olympus's best offerings. If I could only afford SHG....
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Buglin Billy

Greg, that is what I meant to say, is that I wondered what happens if you still used the IS when on the tripod, as I noted it said to shut it off when shooting with a tripod.

Thanks for your imput but let me ask if the lens I got comes with SHG or is that just something incorporated into just a special lens. In other words what is SHG?"

Have a good one BB

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

I just bought one today myself - I haven't had a chance to try it. What body are you using it with? The last two shots are especially sharp.
    Megan

Join me on Facebook!
    Twitter: @ponycargirl

SHG is super high grade. No the 50-200mm doesn't come in SHG. If It did it would be very expensive. Most SHG lenses are 2000.00 and up. Maybe one day.lol
    I have made some very large prints from my equipment and am satisfied that I have more than enough image quality to be set for a long time.
    Check the link...
    http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...p?section=lens
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Buglin Billy

Hey Greg, thanks for the link you posted. They must be mighty fine lenses for the price they want. But I am interested: I wish they have a good 70-300 lens in there and I might just get. One will look over closely what they have and who knows I might end up with one. Thanks again. BB

Buglin Billy

Greg, thanks for the link, but it ended up costing me over $5,000.00 as I just purchased the Super High Grade 90-250. Hopefully it was a good move.

Thanks for you help. I will post some photos this summer after I get and use the lens.

Have a good one. BB

Thread Information