Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>

Product - Slumped Glass Bowl

Greetings,

Recent work by glass artist Lee Brady.

Cheers, Don
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Product - Slumped Glass Bowl-lee-brady-credits.jpg   Product - Slumped Glass Bowl-lee-detail-credits.jpg  

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: Product - Slumped Glass Bowl

Was this with the same lighting setup as before?
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Pretty well,

"focus gray" backdrop, 65w CF bulbs with shoot through umbrellas, left side close, right side back a bit...

FYI a couple of days before this shoot I completed a light table, this shot was a collaboration with the maker and he didn't want to use the light table, sigh...

It's made me rethink my intent to encourage the maker's presence and input into set up and lighting

FYI this is a test shot with the new light table. I'm now sorry I didn't drape the paper but it was just a test (embarrassed shrug)

Cheers, Don

PS - These are ink refill kits and cartridges for the Epson Color Stylus 740 printer I have for sale. Basically ~ $110 bucks worth of ink for $25.... bought a new printer and hate to see these go to waste...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Product - Slumped Glass Bowl-ink-sale.jpg  
    Last edited by Don Kondra; 09-19-2008 at 10:14 PM.

Nice shots Don.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Those are nice shots, Don! Love the glas piece, too. A light table would be a better way to shoot it, though. I don't know what your plan was. But I would do two shots - one with the light table on and one with it off. Then just use the one with the light table one to make a mask and completely remove the background.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Those are nice shots, Don! Love the glas piece, too. A light table would be a better way to shoot it, though. I don't know what your plan was. But I would do two shots - one with the light table on and one with it off. Then just use the one with the light table one to make a mask and completely remove the background.
    Thanks John,

You obviously missed reading the part about the client not wanting to use the light table. "His" plan was to use the light shining through the bowl to create a colored shadow.

In hindsight I should have taken the time to change the set up and shoot with the light table. But with the client waiting..... well, didn't happen, sigh..

Cheers, Don

Quote Originally Posted by Don Kondra
    You obviously missed reading the part about the client not wanting to use the light table. "His" plan was to use the light shining through the bowl to create a colored shadow.
    No, I didn't miss it. I guess the light table comment was more about the photo of the ink boxes. There's obvious mixed lighting from the two light sources. If you just use the light table to make a selection, and then use your studio lights to actually light your product, then you won't have a mixed light issue.

The colored shadow idea isn't a bad one. But that's more of an arty shot than a straight product shot. For me, that would be a secondary, detail photo. Did you get any like that?
    Photo-John

Actually the light table shot isn't a mixed light issue but a mixed paper issue

The bottom is banner paper and the back is a piece of white foamboard. All of the lights are 5000k CF's. The foamboard is tilted away from the camera and not specifically lit so it appears to be "in shadow".

As far as getting a straight traditional shot of the slumped bowl, sigh... The client already had one he thought was acceptable so we didn't take the time to set up the light table and shoot one.

Thanks for your thoughts John, they will be useful in developing a strategy to get the right "shot" when the client is present. Although his needs were met, in hindsight I would have liked to have a light table shot for my protfolio.

Cheers, Don

Quote Originally Posted by Don Kondra
    Thanks for your thoughts John, they will be useful in developing a strategy to get the right "shot" when the client is present. Although his needs were met, in hindsight I would have liked to have a light table shot for my protfolio.
    Yeah. And even if the client thought it didn't matter or wasn't a good idea, he might have been pleased with it anyway. You're the expert. You do what the client asks as well as what you think will work best. You'll be serving both the client and yourself better.
    Photo-John

Thread Information