• 06-04-2008, 12:02 PM
    erikzen
    Which Prime Lens for E-510
    OK, those of you who have been following my few initial posts realize that I have not had the E-510 very long. Despite the fact that I feel like I am very much still learning the camera I also feel like I need a different lens.

I am not unhappy with either of the kit lenses. When I get the lighting and exposure right, the images are crystal clear. However, I'm not really used to always having a zoom lens. I grew up using a fixed focal length lens on my film slr and despite the fact that I always wanted one of those "fancy" zoom lenses, I miss having the old faithful single focal length lens. I guess we always want what we don't have.

I want the lens primarily for indoor portraits but I could see how it could also be useful for wide angle shots. I have never done any macro photography but that is because I never had the equipment. What amateur photographer doesn't want to take a picture of a bee on a flower in enough detail to see the pollen on its legs or to catch that drop of dew dripping off a rose. Still, it is not my priority.

It seems there are my basic choices for a fixed focal length lens:

Olympus 25mm f/2.8

Olympus 35mm f/3.5

Olympus 50mm f/2.0

Panasonic 25mm f/1.4

Sigma 30mm f/1.4

Sigma 24mm f/1.8

My first choice of course would be the Panasonic (Leica) but the price and the fact that it seems to be out of stock everywhere make it something of a non-starter. I know that the lenses make all the difference in a camera but just starting out I can't see spending more on the lens than on the whole kit right off the bat. So it's not really my first choice.

My other "first" choice is the Olympus 50mm f/2.0. Reviews are uniformly positive and the price is right.

Then again perhaps the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 would be nice because of the low f-stop but I've read about problems focusing.

Anybody have any opinions?
  • 06-04-2008, 04:36 PM
    Atomic2
    Re: Which Prime Lens for E-510
    i only hear good things about the 50mm, id go for that. not to mention the 30mm sigma has a pretty far minimum focusing distance for a prime lens, 15.7 inches. you would be better off buying the 14-54mm for about the same price [cheaper actually!] and get a high grade lens with a focusing distance of nearly HALF that at 8.6 inches and have it weatherproof.

but if you're really set on a prime, then the 50mm is what you want, sure its a bit slower but its MUCH better for macro work, with a focusing distance of 9.45inches and that extra 20mm [40mm equivalent] of zoom. not to mention its cheaper.
  • 06-04-2008, 04:56 PM
    Greg McCary
    Re: Which Prime Lens for E-510
    If it were me I would swing for the new pancake 25mm. Just because of the size it would make a great street lens. You should really consider the 14-54mm if you have been shooting with the kits. It is an awesome lens.