Panasonic DMC-GH1 with HD video recording Micro Four Thirds
    My Dream Camera, just wish that it was not a Micro Four Thirds

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0903/09...umixdmcgh1.asp
  • 03-04-2009, 02:36 PM
    Atomic2
    Re: Panasonic DMC-GH1 with HD video recording Micro Four Thirds
    You wish it were regular 4/3?

me too.

they should make a video mode on the E620.
  • 03-04-2009, 02:39 PM
    rubeel
    what i dont get is that you might need the HD lens, so does that mean that all the other micro or regular 4/3s will not work for videos.
  • 03-04-2009, 03:46 PM
    Atomic2
    Im not certain about that, I think regular lenses will work but you wont be able to auto focus while recording.
  • 03-04-2009, 09:27 PM
    Photo-John
    My take on the new GH1
    Just in case you didn't notice, I posted an article on the GH1 last night and the announcement was posted on the site before noon yesterday. I think I'm going to get one as soon as it's available:

My Panasonic Lumix GH1 Article >>
    Panasonic Lumix GH1 Announcement >>
  • 03-04-2009, 09:33 PM
    Photo-John
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rubeel
    what i dont get is that you might need the HD lens, so does that mean that all the other micro or regular 4/3s will not work for videos.

I believe the reason for the HD lenses are silent auto focus. Consumer camcorders are often criticized because the auto focus and zoom motor sound can be clearly heard in videos. The new lens was designed to be silent so that it doesn't interfere with video sound. I think that's indicative of how well the GH1 was planned and designed. It's likely this was the camera originally planned. But the video functionality wasn't ready on time so the still-only G1 was introduced instead. I'm not positive about that. But it makes sense.