• 01-29-2010, 12:19 AM
    BlueRob
    Orf RAW files in Photoshop
    I have tried to open the .orf files in my CS3 photoshop without any luck...I can open them in Lightroom2 but can I open them directly in PS?

I know there is patch for Camera RAW but AFAIK is only for CS4?

How do guys handle your ORF files? What I do is open them in LR2, make some adjustments and save it as TIFF and them open it in CS3....is there a better way?

Thanks.
  • 01-29-2010, 12:35 AM
    SmartWombat
    Re: Orf RAW files in Photoshop
    I use LR2 as you do.
  • 01-29-2010, 10:34 AM
    BlueRob
    Thanks Paul :thumbsup:
  • 01-29-2010, 11:13 AM
    Greg McCary
    You have the same work flow as me. LR2 and then PS. But I still use PS7. Maybe one day.....CS3 or 4
  • 01-29-2010, 12:11 PM
    BlueRob
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    You have the same work flow as me. LR2 and then PS. But I still use PS7. Maybe one day.....CS3 or 4

Thanks Greg...just wanted to make sure that my work flow was in the right track and thus take it out of the equation when I obtain not so satisfying results....process of elimination...you see:D
  • 01-29-2010, 07:56 PM
    Sushigaijin
    I use CS3. I open directly into ACR, then in CS3.

I think I downloaded the patch directly from adobe. Try updating to the latest version of CS3.

The file type .orf was not originally supported by photoshop, as with most RAW file types. Once adobe figures out how it thinks the file is best translated, it releases a patch. The issue is that camera companies are not forthcoming with information on RAW translation because they want to sell their proprietary software (Among other reasons). So usually a new RAW file type is unsupported by photoshop. For the same reason, some RAW converters are better than others.
  • 01-29-2010, 08:24 PM
    BlueRob
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sushigaijin
    I use CS3. I open directly into ACR, then in CS3.

I think I downloaded the patch directly from adobe. Try updating to the latest version of CS3.

The file type .orf was not originally supported by photoshop, as with most RAW file types. Once adobe figures out how it thinks the file is best translated, it releases a patch. The issue is that camera companies are not forthcoming with information on RAW translation because they want to sell their proprietary software (Among other reasons). So usually a new RAW file type is unsupported by photoshop. For the same reason, some RAW converters are better than others.

Thanks for the input. I just found out that with and old plug-in ORFs can be opened with the CS3c as you described.
    The latest ACR plug-in for CS3 is version 4.6.
    Download it, install it and sweet...I can open my RAWs in ACR and then jump to PS. :thumbsup: