OM to Four Thirds mount

Printable View

• 06-19-2008, 04:00 PM
    Greg McCary
    1 Attachment(s)
    OM to Four Thirds mount
    I did some horse trading with some old equipment I never used and wound up with an off brand 300mm OM lens to play with. I bought one of those cheap adaptors on e-bay and took a couple of test shots today. Since it was a 300mm it is a 600mm equivalent on the 510. The meter was dead on and the IS worked flawlessly. I have a 50mm on the way and should be shooting test shots once I get it. But see. It can be done with some rather nice results. Now that I know how well it works. I may swing for a better quality OM lens to use. Considering this was 600mm hand held, I am impressed. Now to Plainville Ga and look for some Buffalo. There are some on a farm there that I could never get close enough to before.LOL
  • 06-19-2008, 07:18 PM
    metallicblack
    Re: OM to Four Thirds mount
    Good job and thanks for trying it out for us. IS worked or you are very steady. You are giving me ideas like get a nikon adaptor and get their drastically cheaper 70-300mm lens.
  • 06-19-2008, 07:50 PM
    Atomic2
    Quote:

Originally Posted by metallicblack
    Good job and thanks for trying it out for us. IS worked or you are very steady. You are giving me ideas like get a nikon adaptor and get their drastically cheaper 70-300mm lens.

id miss autofocus way too much, and the glass is better on the Zuiko. after you spend all that money, you'd be really close to the zuiko's 70-300 price anyway, just do that
  • 06-19-2008, 09:26 PM
    metallicblack
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Atomic2
    id miss autofocus way too much, and the glass is better on the Zuiko. after you spend all that money, you'd be really close to the zuiko's 70-300 price anyway, just do that

I would miss autofocus as well so I probably wouldn't do it. But I haven't been convinced the Zuiko's not just a rebadged Sigma. However, Sigma for Nikon $140 + $25 adaptor = $165 vs. $380 Zuiko.
  • 06-20-2008, 03:05 AM
    Greg McCary
    Quote:

Originally Posted by metallicblack

No I was not very steady. The lens was quite heavy. The IS really worked well. You have to select what mm you are using when you turn the IS on but I was very impressed with the results. I am sure a better quality lens would work great. I am thinging of getting an OM fisheye. I also have an Leica M6 so shooting MF doesn't bother me to much.
  • 06-20-2008, 08:25 AM
    SwampNut
    I'd love to see some photos when you put it on a tripod. The duck is terribly soft, but hard to tell if that's from the lens being poor or from shake. I'm currently considering picking up a few old lenses on eBay (cheap) and the $20 adapter.
  • 06-20-2008, 08:36 AM
    Greg McCary
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SwampNut
    I'd love to see some photos when you put it on a tripod. The duck is terribly soft, but hard to tell if that's from the lens being poor or from shake. I'm currently considering picking up a few old lenses on eBay (cheap) and the $20 adapter.

As soon as I get a chance I will do that. The lens I used is dusty and scratched. But once I get the 50mm I will post some pictures with it as well. I may try some moon pictures or something. Keep checking back. I have been working a lot of over time here lately.