Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>

Lens suggestions for E-510

I'm currently using the E-510 for indoor pro-wrestling photography, with the default 14-42mm lens that it came with. It works pretty well, though reaction time indoors is a little slow, and since it is a cheap lens there is obviously not a great zoom on it - I can only get good close up shots if the subject is right up in my face. I'm looking to upgrade, and was hoping for some suggestions that would fit my needs - it certainly needs to focus quickly in indoor situations, and have a decent zoom on it.

Re: Lens suggestions for E-510

Hi Big Rob,

I'd recommend you try a 12-60, it will handle the low light better and the SWD will also AF quicker. Rent or borrow one first if you can....

A more affordable option is the 14-54, if money is no object the 50-200

Also don't discount the 18-180, it's a great standard quality lens but it won't be much better in low light.

Cheers, Don

I agree with Don. You didn't mention budget but the 50-200 would be great.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Looking for something about £300, don't think I'll ever want to shell out for a 50-200. Cheers for the suggestions.

It's not going to get you much more reach but the 50mm Macro takes some great shots in available light. Although it's a macro lens it takes great portrait shots. It's the lens I use most often. You can get that for well under your budget, around US$400. I think to get a longer lens with a wider aperture is going to cost you.

Quote Originally Posted by erikzen
    It's not going to get you much more reach but the 50mm Macro takes some great shots in available light. Although it's a macro lens it takes great portrait shots. It's the lens I use most often. You can get that for well under your budget, around US$400. I think to get a longer lens with a wider aperture is going to cost you.
    I ended up buying all 3

14-54, 50mm prime and 50-200. The certainly all have their advantages and disadvantages.

The pictures I take with the 50mm are always the most crisp on average. But no zoom is pretty limiting for most photography. 50-200 might be your best bet since you want a telephoto and they can be found used (non SWD) for about $600 bucks USD on amazon which is still within your budget.

Thread Information