Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>

Macro with the 12-60mm

It has been ask here before how well the 12-60mm does Macro. It ain't my cup of tea but these were growing in the front yard, it was cloudy so I tried a couple of shots. Man I have to hand it to someone who can make a nice flower shot. It is certainly not easy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Macro with the 12-60mm-flowers_for_nora.jpg   Macro with the 12-60mm-noras_flowers.jpg  
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Re: Macro with the 12-60mm

I think they are great , awesome colors, and very sharp

I prefer the composition of the second photo

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    It has been ask here before how well the 12-60mm does Macro. It ain't my cup of tea but these were growing in the front yard, it was cloudy so I tried a couple of shots. Man I have to hand it to someone who can make a nice flower shot. It is certainly not easy.
    Wow! Beautiful shots! I love the color, and they are sharp. The composition is right on!

Liz

Nice colors, composition on 2nd is better.
    Haven't use 12-60 for macro (or anything else since i don't have it) but i've done macro with my 14-54ii and it's good.
    Not that good as a dedicated macro (like 35/3.5 or 50/2), but it gets me almost what i want.
    Chris

Current Gear:
    Olympus E-3
    Zuiko 14-54 mk II f2.8-3.5
    FL50R flash
    HLD-4 Battery grip
    RM-CB1 remote cable release
    Vanguard Alta+ 264AP tripod with PH-32 head
    Cullmann Ministativ DIGI-POD long (50008) tripod
    E-System Pro Backpack

those are great. that lens is sharp, isn't it? I've done a few close ups with mine and really like the way they came out. Sharp as hell.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

The colors look strange to me but maybe I've just never seen a crocus that color before.
    I agree that flowers are much more difficult than people think. To get something that is unique anyway. Your compositions are good and I agree the second is better. Clone out the far right petal.
    I would also suggest less dof. Don't know what aperture you used or how close you were with that lens or what f/stop was used but I'd open it if possible.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    I would also suggest less dof. Don't know what aperture you used or how close you were with that lens or what f/stop was used but I'd open it if possible.
    Unfortunately the 12-60 isn't a dedicated macro lens and has a small aperture for macro (f/4.0@60mm), so the dof is as good as it can be for this type of photography
    On the other hand, the 50mm f2.0 is great for macro but it isn't that versatile as the 12-60.
    Chris

Current Gear:
    Olympus E-3
    Zuiko 14-54 mk II f2.8-3.5
    FL50R flash
    HLD-4 Battery grip
    RM-CB1 remote cable release
    Vanguard Alta+ 264AP tripod with PH-32 head
    Cullmann Ministativ DIGI-POD long (50008) tripod
    E-System Pro Backpack

When I'm out doing macro specifically, I bring the manual Zuiko 90mm f2. Yeah, it's long on the E body, but it's damn sharp. I find the 12-60 is fine for quick closeups of stuff when I'm out just doing general outdoors shooting. Its versatility is its real strength, but sometimes a more specialized tool is worth having.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    The colors look strange to me but maybe I've just never seen a crocus that color before.
    I agree that flowers are much more difficult than people think. To get something that is unique anyway. Your compositions are good and I agree the second is better. Clone out the far right petal.

Thanks all, Frog I think I shot this at f/11. I know that is high but my problem is if I focus on the center of the flower the front pedal is always OOF. I guess maybe I need to focus on the front and lower the F/stop. Again this is out of my league but was mostly intended to show the sharpness of the 12-60mm. Maybe I can get some practice this spring when the flowers really come out.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Iguanamom
    When I'm out doing macro specifically, I bring the manual Zuiko 90mm f2. Yeah, it's long on the E body, but it's damn sharp. I find the 12-60 is fine for quick closeups of stuff when I'm out just doing general outdoors shooting. Its versatility is its real strength, but sometimes a more specialized tool is worth having.
    I would love to see a few pictures madde with the 90mm if you have any to share.

Sony a99/a7R

I don't want to hijack your thread, but I can start another if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Iguanamom
    I don't want to hijack your thread, but I can start another if you like.
    Yes start another thread. Thanks.

Sony a99/a7R

Just got my new 12-60mm he is one of my first shots with it, hand held, pretty average but will get better with some practice:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Macro with the 12-60mm-p3133489_resized.jpg  
    Last edited by Georgeo; 03-13-2010 at 12:10 AM. Reason: photo didnt upload

could have maybe closed the f-stops a touch, this is wide open at 60mm (f4), iso 100 (e-620), cropped a touch

Yes Georgo best thing for Macro is a good tripod, one that can get low to the ground.

Sony a99/a7R

Thread Information