Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Micro Four Thirds Camera Announced!

The new OM-D is official! I actually got a pre-production E-M5 to play with (no battery) before the announcement so my article includes a hands-on video of the new camera. It's got a new 16-megapixel sensor, built-in EVF and it's dust-proof and weather-proof just like the E-5 DSLR.

Olympus E-M5 Hands-On Video Intro >>

I think this camera looks really good. I like the updated controls and I love that they've improved the continuous auto focus and burst rate.

What do you guys think?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Olympus OM-D E-M5 Micro Four Thirds Camera Announced!

It looks good John. It reminds me a lot of the NEX7. I am interested in the AF speed as well. Is that a new sensor? I read it had the same sensor as the Panasonic.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary View Post
    It looks good John. It reminds me a lot of the NEX7. I am interested in the AF speed as well. Is that a new sensor? I read it had the same sensor as the Panasonic.
    I am pretty sure it's the same sensor as the Panasonic, although Olympus has probably tweaked it a bit. I believe all the Four Thirds sensors are manufactured by Panasonic.

Another tidbit for you, Greg. I was given this quote to share:

"We have already started studying E-5 successor, and new Four Third Lens."

Toshiyuki Terada, Manager, Product and Marketing Planning Group, Olympus Imaging Corporation

How you like them apples?
    Photo-John

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    I am pretty sure it's the same sensor as the Panasonic, although Olympus has probably tweaked it a bit. I believe all the Four Thirds sensors are manufactured by Panasonic.

Another tidbit for you, Greg. I was given this quote to share:

"We have already started studying E-5 successor, and new Four Third Lens."

Toshiyuki Terada, Manager, Product and Marketing Planning Group, Olympus Imaging Corporation

How you like them apples?
    Wow. I had just given up on that one completely. It's about time they are a little more forth coming with info. Olympus has some worried and dedicated followers that deserve an answer to that. Many have jumped ship in frustration already.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Liz

The body only - and/or one-lens kit available for pre-order at Olympus website - and I believe B&H and Adorama also.

https://us.buyolympus.com/digital-ca...tm_content=btn

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    The body only - and/or one-lens kit available for pre-order at Olympus website - and I believe B&H and Adorama also.

https://us.buyolympus.com/digital-ca...tm_content=btn

Liz
    What do you think of the price Liz? It seems the mirrorless camera prices are climbing. Do you think the price is in line?

Sony a99/a7R

Liz

What do you think of the price Liz? It seems the mirrorless camera prices are climbing. Do you think the price is in line?
    Well, the camera looks good on paper. It will be interesting to see what John thinks, but it seems to be a significant upgrade - sensor, VF and all the other new features..

I think $999 for the body only seems fair - at least IMO. Just the fact you can get the body without the lens is a huge plus for those of us who have already invested in the M4/3 system - especially having had to purchase a "kit" lens with every camera!

What do you think?

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    Well, the camera looks good on paper. It will be interesting to see what John thinks, but it seems to be a significant upgrade - sensor, VF and all the other new features..

I think $999 for the body only seems fair - at least IMO. Just the fact you can get the body without the lens is a huge plus for those of us who have already invested in the M4/3 system - especially having had to purchase a "kit" lens with every camera!

What do you think?

Liz
    Liz I am beginning to think all of the mirrorless cameras are getting out of line, including the NEX 7, for what you get compared to a DSLR. Can you tell me the new Nikon is worth it's asking price? My a77 out performs my NEX 7 in every category, just a thought. The prices of used x100s are falling like a rock. Performance wise I think the mirrorless cameras fall short of the price. IMO

Sony a99/a7R

:thumbsup:

[IMG]http://www.**********/g.gif[/IMG]

John what I have been reading, internet buzz, this is the upgrade to the E5. I hope Olympus is pulling some new magic out of that sensor.

Sony a99/a7R

John what I have been reading, internet buzz, this is the upgrade to the E5. I hope Olympus is pulling some new magic out of that sensor.
    The 16-megapixel sensor, you mean? I have no idea if that's true or now, although it's an obvious leap to make. Since I haven't shot with the camera yet I have no opinion about the new sensor. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt since they seem able to improve image quality at nearly every iteration.
    Photo-John

Liz I am beginning to think all of the mirrorless cameras are getting out of line, including the NEX 7, for what you get compared to a DSLR. Can you tell me the new Nikon is worth it's asking price? My a77 out performs my NEX 7 in every category, just a thought. The prices of used x100s are falling like a rock. Performance wise I think the mirrorless cameras fall short of the price. IMO
    You make a good point, Greg. As the compact system cameras get better, the prices are going up. They are now being sold as equals to DSLRs instead of of less expensive alternatives. And if you compare the specs of the E-M5 to an entry-level or low-level consumer digital SLR like the Canon EOS T3i, it doesn't really measure up. On the other hand, if you're a travel or outdoor photographer who values small size and low weight, then the E-M5 could be the better camera. I found the E-P3 was definitely the better camera for me when I was traveling in Europe. Also, if video is a priority, then the built-in EVF is also a pretty big deal and makes the E-M5 a better camera than an equivalent digital SLR.

I am curious to see how sales are with this camera. It does seem to me it's priced a bit high. Olympus could be testing the waters to see what the reaction is. There's nothing stopping them from lowering the price - unless it was really expensive for them to make.
    Photo-John

Another issue I notice John is when the NEX system first came out everyone was giving the system heck for the huge NEX lenses. It seems the rivals are inching up in size and everyone is eating them up like hot cakes.
    I agree I don't see how the 16mpx sensor could out do the E5, match it, maybe. I wonder just how much more IQ that Olympus can pull out of their sensor. IQ improvement of late has been done with over processing and slimmer AA filter. Could it be a band aid? Either they have reached a limit or ran out of ideas.
    I am not picking on Olympus, the NEX 7 is a bit out of line and I truely don't see how Nikon can get away with what they are getting. But they are sure selling the heck out of them.

Sony a99/a7R

They are now being sold as equals to DSLRs instead of of less expensive alternatives. And if you compare the specs of the E-M5 to an entry-level or low-level consumer digital SLR like the Canon EOS T3i, it doesn't really measure up.
    In what way does it not measure up?
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

Well as far as the Sonys are concerned. The a77 just out performs the NEX all the way around, focus speed, write times to the card, the steady shot feature works better on the a77, if i am correct with the NEX the stabilization has to be in the lens and the a77 its in the body so it works with all lenses. My Zeiss 24mm is not Steady Shot. Also with the NEX you give up the GPS feature. The screen the NEX and OM-D only pulls out to 90 degrees and flips all the way around with both E5 and a77. I know the E5 is a more expensive camera but Olympus currently doesn't offer any other models as far a DSLRs. The battery life of the a77 is also longer than the NEX 7 and the NEX won't fire most flashes wirelessly. The NEX will fire 10 FPS in only one mode setting and the a77 in all of them just by setting the drive mode. The NEX is much slower just when I set the drive mode to continuos shooting.
    I am not saying the EVIL cameras are not good cameras just over priced.

Sony a99/a7R

Well as far as the Sonys are concerned. The a77 just out performs the NEX all the way around, focus speed, write times to the card, the steady shot feature works better on the a77, if i am correct with the NEX the stabilization has to be in the lens and the a77 its in the body so it works with all lenses. My Zeiss 24mm is not Steady Shot. Also with the NEX you give up the GPS feature. The screen the NEX and OM-D only pulls out to 90 degrees and flips all the way around with both E5 and a77. I know the E5 is a more expensive camera but Olympus currently doesn't offer any other models as far a DSLRs. The battery life of the a77 is also longer than the NEX 7 and the NEX won't fire most flashes wirelessly. The NEX will fire 10 FPS in only one mode setting and the a77 in all of them just by setting the drive mode. The NEX is much slower just when I set the drive mode to continuos shooting.
    I am not saying the EVIL cameras are not good cameras just over priced.
    As the small bodies approach the level of the full sized, I see the 'laptop vs desktop effect'. You get a lot less value to keep it small. - Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Quote Originally Posted by OldClicker View Post
    As the small bodies approach the level of the full sized, I see the 'laptop vs desktop effect'. You get a lot less value to keep it small. - Terry
    This is true and for a long time if not even now laptops were over pried when compared to the desktop version of the same thing with many short comings of the laptop. The desk top and many components are easier to upgrade and change if broken, not so with the laptop. The traveling business man made the laptop work.
    The mirrorless camera are certianly a future but just like the desktop I think there will always be room for a traditional DSLR. for the same price or close to a DSLR I don't want to give up performance. I don't want to go backwards. I took both my a77 and NEX to my daughters ballet and much prefered the extra performance with the a77.
    I think the Nikon for one is way out of line. I don't want to go backwards in image quality either.

Sony a99/a7R

Desktops still give a lot more power for the buck than do laptops. Though, they're all damned cheap now lol. The amount of power in the CPU of a $400 desktop will greatly exceed that of a $400 laptop.

Greg I definitely see where you are coming from with regards to the NEX-7. However, I think with the entry level options like the NEX 3, E-PM1 and GF3, they are offered at a price ~$400-500, and give us every feature and option that the $700 DSLR's offer (minus viewfinder). I think those 3 camera options are a much better value than the entry level DSLR.

And when you further consider that the vast majority of people buying those $700 DSLRs are likely to stick with slow, variable aperture consumer grade lens like the 55-250's and 75-300's, their choice to stick with DSLR as opposed to the more cost effective CSC is just a bit counter productive. The only thing they get is an optical viewfinder at the cost of multiplied size.
    - Charlie

I agree completely Charlie but adding the EVF and flip out screen almost doubled the price from an entry level. Look at the price of the new Fuji. $1600.00. It better have FF IQ. I just picked up an a850 and the high ISO quality is amazing. You can go FF for the price of the Fuji. That's a lot of money just to have a small camera. i can't wait to see DXO marks. The new Nikon isn't any better than the EP-1. the Nikon D7000 to me would be a better option. I know some very serious bikers. They take cameras with them and size is a big issue but cost as well. They are not going to pay big bucks for a small camera they had rather spend their money on a bike. I have a friend that bike 100s of miles and his next outing he is going to take my XA2 and a couple of rolls of Porta 400.
    I think Nikon has a cult following due to their clever ads and commercials. As you know their high end cameras are the best. I expected more than Nikon did with their mirrorless option.
    The X100 was a bit of a flop. The lens has flaring issues and isnt as easy to use as most want. They are selling one right after another in the classifieds at rangefinderforum.com. Everyone that pre oredered one are now selling them off.

Sony a99/a7R

This is true and for a long time if not even now laptops were over pried when compared to the desktop version of the same thing with many short comings of the laptop. The desk top and many components are easier to upgrade and change if broken, not so with the laptop. The traveling business man made the laptop work.
    The mirrorless camera are certianly a future but just like the desktop I think there will always be room for a traditional DSLR. for the same price or close to a DSLR I don't want to give up performance. I don't want to go backwards. I took both my a77 and NEX to my daughters ballet and much prefered the extra performance with the a77.
    I think the Nikon for one is way out of line. I don't want to go backwards in image quality either.
    I agree except I see large vs. small - a question of ergonomics. None of them will have mirrors. - Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Greg - I agree, well stated. There are some sacrifices and an EVF and tiltable LCD are one of them. Yes, the Fuji is damned expensive, but hey, they brought that style down from M9's $7k.

And what the heck man, an A850, I thought you put a freeze on all of your camera buying.
    - Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol View Post
    Greg - I agree, well stated. There are some sacrifices and an EVF and tiltable LCD are one of them. Yes, the Fuji is damned expensive, but hey, they brought that style down from M9's $7k.

And what the heck man, an A850, I thought you put a freeze on all of your camera buying.
    I didn't buy it. I traded the Oly E5 and 12-60mm, can you say loop hole? LOL

Sony a99/a7R

LOL! Yes, quite the clever move you made there.
    - Charlie

I think I have yet to see how "upgrading" from my E-3s is of any benefit. On paper, the camera looks to be very nice. I'll wait a while until the E-5 successor is released. I need a professional body that stands up to my daily abuse. My E-1s still work very well for B&W newspaper publications.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc2B4 View Post
    I think I have yet to see how "upgrading" from my E-3s is of any benefit. On paper, the camera looks to be very nice. I'll wait a while until the E-5 successor is released. I need a professional body that stands up to my daily abuse. My E-1s still work very well for B&W newspaper publications.
    This.

Although this camera is what I've been waiting for, I need some commitment to the lenses I need. So far the only thing that holds back my e3 is size and weight
    Erik Williams

Olympus E3, E510
    12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD, 50 f/2 macro, EX25, FL36's and an FL50r.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information