Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>

Thread: upgrading?

upgrading?

hey all olympus users! we got it! great news.

i have an e300. looking to upgrade to a e400 or e500. 330 is a possibility but i think its ugly as sin. bakc to the point. should i upgrade to the 500 (its on sale now) or wait til something new comes out.

P.s for anyone who is interested in importing from europe i talked to a guy who would send me one for just over 1,200 canadian. plus 15 pounds shipping crap. would it be worth it to pay for such a camera? does it look like it has a furure in north america any time soon? and possibly at a cheaper (or more expensive) price??

Re: upgrading?

I would wait until after PMA 2007. Olympus is supposed to have an professional level E1 replacement. If you can afford it, I am sure it will be worth the wait. I don't know if they'll have another consumer-level digital SLR. If you're in a hurry to upgrade and want a deal, the E500 will do the job. But let me ask you this - what's wrong with your E300? Is it not able to make the pictures you want? I don't know why you want to upgrade. But generally, a new lens is a better investment than a new camera. A new lens, flash, tripod, etc. will open up new photographic possibilities whereas a new body just might improve what you're already doing. We all like buying new cameras. But a lot of the time it's just a case of upgradeitis.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I have heard great things about the E400 but I have yet to actually see one.

I agree with John about the upgrading though. The 300 has the same MP count as the 500 ( the newer models do anyway having upgraded them to 8.1 MP)

With new companies getting on board with the open source 4/3 system now there are tons of new lenses about to make market in time for the new year. I recently picked up a Sigma 4/3 APO 50 - 500 f4.0 - 6.3 and I am very happy with it. It needs a bit of work on my part to learn how to shoot with it in lower light situations but I am sur eI will over come as I continue to practice.

Best Buy had a door crasher sale on teh E500 and 2 lens kit for $699 CDN in Toronto. I went to see if I could grab a 2nd body for a back up but alas I arrived at 8:30 am to find out that the store had opened at 7am and was sold out of both the kits and the bodies by 8am
    Shooting with an Olympus Evolt E-510 and loving it

Equipment list:
    Olympus Evolt E-3, E-620, E-500
    Olympus Zuiko 40 - 150 F4.0 - 5.6
    Olympus Zuiko 14 - 45 F 2.8 - 3.6
    Sigma 50 - 500 F 4.0 - 6.3
    Sigma 70 - 200 F2.8
    Olympus FL-38 Flash x2
    Vivitar 285 HV
    Better Beamer Flash Extender

http://www.jdtimages.ca/

A Photographer that is fluent in Sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by picturetaker1239
    hey all olympus users! we got it! great news.

i have an e300. looking to upgrade to a e400 or e500. 330 is a possibility but i think its ugly as sin. bakc to the point. should i upgrade to the 500 (its on sale now) or wait til something new comes out.
    I agree with John, the 300 is a great camera, and unless it just doesn't suit your needs then I am of the basic opinion that your money would be better spent expanding your personal E-System. There is always a thrill to buying a new body, and I can understand how one would wish to change up their imaging capabilities buy investing in a new sensor.

Unlike 35mm SLRs we digital users can not simply change the film and see a dramatic difference in our image quality, however the E-500 shares the same sensor as the E-300, and the 330 is really a camera without a market IMO. The 330 is also a step back in resolution and more expensive the the 500. I you are just dogged determined to upgrade then I would suggest the 500. It is the best current deal on any sub-pro DSLR on the market. I just ordered mine from BeachCamera.com for under $630 with the 2 lens kit. Not a bad deal at all. I still have enough money left from selling off my older equipment to ponder a flash or even a macro lens. Which is one of the main reasons I switched from Canon to Olympus. I could not afford any of the nice Canon equipment that I wanted and needed. I see the E-System as my best chance of building a true photographic system, and with the release of a new pro body from Olympus looming in the near future I am even thinking that before way too long I might just own my first Pro DSLR aswell.

Give it some real thought, does you camera suit you needs? Do you get great images that you love? Well if so then maybe you should think about a new lens instead.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

yeah due to lack of funds i have decided to keep my 300. the only thing i would rather have is a faster seq. shots. which the 400 has and higher res. but alot of money.

Thread Information