Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>
    JimB

DMC- L1 by panasonic

Hi,

Any one of you Gentilmen have any information of any sorts on the PANASONIC DCM-L1 camera?

How simular is it to the Leica Digilux3???

How reliable is it?

How well made is it?

What kind of lenses,and where to get them?

Any information will be appreiciated

Jim B

Re: DMC- L1 by panasonic

Here's a link to the user Panasonic L1 user reviews page: http://www.photographyreview.com/cat...6_3127crx.aspx

Is there a reason you posted this question on the Nikon forum? The Panasonic L1 is a Four Thirds digital SLR and this post would be a better fit for the Olympus / Four Thirds forum. Like other Leica / Panasonic partnership cameras, the L1 is pretty much the same as its Leica counterpart - with the exception of the red dot, that is. With the RAW-capable compact Leica and Panasonic cameras, the Leica JPEG processing is noticeably better. I did careful comparisons of JPEG files from the Leica D Lux 3 and the Panasonic LX2 and confirmed that. I'm not sure if that was the case with the DSLR, though. We did test the Leica Digilux 3 and found it to be quite a nice camera, if a bit on the chunky side. Here's a link to that review:

Leica Digilux 3 Pro Review >>

I hope that helps. If you didn't have a particular reason for posting this in the Nikon forum, I'd like to move it to either the Four Thirds forum or the Digital SLRs forum. Please let me know.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

JimB

Just was not thinking.. I had a question to ask the Nikon Equipment is what I have booked marked and I just clicked on this site and started this thread.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by JimB
    Just was not thinking.. I had a question to ask the Nikon Equipment is what I have booked marked and I just clicked on this site and started this thread.
    No problem, Jim. It's in the Four Thirds forum now
    Photo-John

JimB

The reason that I am looking into this camera is it's classic lines and looks of the LEICA M SERIES, which I have always liked and cannot really afford. This camera offer the LEICA M SERIES looks, and digital photography, and at a price I can afford. I am trying to locate one. I just need a good honest evaluation about it from someone who has used it and will give an honest evaluation covering the pro's and con's and a list of lens that is available for the DMC L-1.

JimB

Jim-
    I did use the Leica version a bunch. It is a good-looking camera and the image quality was nice - at the time. Currently, I think that camera is out of date. I also think shopping for cameras based on their looks is not the best strategy. However, I think there is a camera that might satisfy your aesthetic desire and also meets current tech specs - that is the Olympus E-P1 Micro Four Thirds camera. It's also smaller and lighter than either the L1 or the Leica rangefinders. Here's a link to my article on the Olympus E-P1:

Olympus E-P1 Introduction >>

There are four other Micro Four Thirds cameras, a brand new one from Olympus and three from Panasonic. So it's not like the E-P1 is your only option. Regardless, any of these cameras will be smaller and lighter than the L1 and offer better image quality. I honestly would not recommend the L1 at this point - unless you've foudna smoking good deal on it...
    Photo-John

I own a Panasonic L1 do you have any specific questions? Ask away or PM me. I also own a M6 and M3.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

I originally bought my L1 for my wife for Christmas but have since changed my mind and got her a 510. I thought maybe she would need the IS and maybe a more DSLR looking camera. But if you are interested in street photography I think the L1 would do you a nice job. I have the 28mm pancake on mine and it works great. It focuses fast and is awesome at slow shutter speeds. If you are more interested in landscape or sports I probably wouldn't recommend it. I just think you could get better pictures from another type camera for the money you would spend. Some 4/3rd lenses will not work on the L1. My 14-54 won't work with it.

I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    Some 4/3rd lenses will not work on the L1. My 14-54 won't work with it.

Seriously? Wow I thought all 4/3 lenses had to work with all 4/3 bodies... you sure its not a firmware issue?
    E-3, E-510
    12-60 2.8-4.0
    40-150 3.5-4.5
    Sigma 30 1.4
    Zenit 58 F2 [with M42 adapter]
    Metz 48

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic2
    Seriously? Wow I thought all 4/3 lenses had to work with all 4/3 bodies... you sure its not a firmware issue?
    I have both the camera and lens upgraded to the latest firmware. When I put the 14-54mm on the camera I just get an error message. But as I stated above the 14-42mm kit lens works great on it.

Sony a99/a7R

JimB

Greg
    Thanks for your input and advise. But please look at my profile. I am not a novice and though I am not a great Photographer, I do some good work (real good) I am looking to replace my Konica-Minolta A2 as a camera to go where the Nikon will draw too much attention. I have been relieved of some camera and equipment at knife point in the middle of Gettysburg National Park a few years a go near Little Round Top. I still use my Nikon and go a lot of places but just some places it is not just wise. People see Nikon and they think money. I want a nice quality camera with a great lens or lenses with out a name preditors will not connect with money.

Jim

Jim-
    I really think you should be looking at the Olympus and Panasonic Micro Four Thirds cameras. They look like point-and-shoots but they're far from it.
    Photo-John

JimB

John,

I will give the Olympus and Panasonic Micro 4/3rds cameras a good hard look. Thanks for your in-put.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by JimB
    John,

I will give the Olympus and Panasonic Micro 4/3rds cameras a good hard look. Thanks for your in-put.
    I think this is a good idea. Reading your first few posts, I thought of the Olympus EP-1 which I own and love. When purchasing a camera or lens, my first consideration is image quality. I sold my Canon XTi and wonderful ("L") lenses to invest in the M4/3 system - and haven't looked back. I've gotten some really great shots - some are comparable to what I got from the "L" lenses.

Is there any place you can go to check out the EP-1 in your area? I think if you get the feel of the camera, it will help you make a decision.

Good luck.

Liz

Jim if I treated you like a newbie I am sorry. John makes a good point with the EP-1 and EP-2. My biggest consern with the m4/3rds has been the lack of a VF. But with the new EP-2 my ears have perked up and I am now getting interested in it. But if you are worried about getting held up a knife point again then the L1 would at least be a cheaper alternative. But yes it is a great little camera and would be good for street work. I have seen them at other sites sell from 250-300 dollars, body only. And when I have had it out on the streets it is small enough no to be noticed as much as my E3.

Sony a99/a7R

Thread Information