Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>

A question about the E-volt 510

I have recently decided that the Olympus E-volt 510 is the camera for me and I have a question about it.
    My mother went to school for photography and she has an old olympus OM-1. I've heard that some camera manufacturers have maintained the same lens mount throughout the years and I was wondering if I could use her old lenses on this camera if I buy it. It's not imperative, but it would definitely make the the e-volt 510 a little more worth buying in my case.

Re: A question about the E-volt 510

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.me
    I have recently decided that the Olympus E-volt 510 is the camera for me and I have a question about it.
    My mother went to school for photography and she has an old olympus OM-1. I've heard that some camera manufacturers have maintained the same lens mount throughout the years and I was wondering if I could use her old lenses on this camera if I buy it. It's not imperative, but it would definitely make the the e-volt 510 a little more worth buying in my case.
    Yes and No. You can buy an adaptor that will fit them, but the camera will not be able to communicate with the old lens. you will have to shoot in full manual. But if you got some really good old lenses it might be worth a shot. Welcome to the 4/3rds sysytem. You will be very happy.
    Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Re: A question about the E-volt 510

Pentax is the only camera manufacturer that has really maintained full backwards compatibility. Olympus has not. Their Four Thirds System is a complete departure from the OM 35mm SLRs. The image proportions are different and the lenses are much smaller and have a smaller image circle. But, as Greg has indicated, there are adapters available. Same goes for Canon's onld FD lenses and their EOS bodies, Leica adapters for Nikon and Canon bodies, etc. Since there are so many good old lenses, and specialized lenses, there are people will to make and buy adapters. However, that's not the same thing as real compatibility. That said, if you like the Four Thirds System and the E-510, then buy it. I have been using it for a few weeks while we prepared our Olympus E-510 pro review. And I think it's a great camera - especially if you value small and light.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information