Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>

Olympus E-30 Studio Portrait

Just thought I'd share a studio portrait I shot with the Olympus E-30. The more I use this camera the more I think it's the best thing Olympus has made yet. Since this was a professional portrait, there has been a fair amount of post-processing to smooth out the skin, etc. I don't like heavy-handed portrait post-processing, though. So hopefully it's pretty subtle. The RAW file was converted with Olympus Master 2 and then I used Photoshop adjustment layers and Imagenomic's Portraiture plug-in for the real work. The lens was the new Olympus 14-54mm II. Lights were Photoflex Starlight tungsten with Photoflex softboxes.

For you pixel-peepers, I uploaded a larger version of the photo to the gallery:
    http://gallery.photographyreview.com...0&ppuser=75191

If you haven't seen it yet, here's my Olympus E-30 DSLR preview.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Olympus E-30 Studio Portrait-_1040921.jpg  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Olympus E-30 Studio Portrait

Very nice John. Thanks for posting.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Just wondering, what makes you think the E30 is better than the E3?

Not that I doubt it, 18 months between products is a LONG time in digital photography...
    Erik Williams

Olympus E3, E510
    12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD, 50 f/2 macro, EX25, FL36's and an FL50r.

Quote Originally Posted by Sushigaijin
    Just wondering, what makes you think the E30 is better than the E3?

Not that I doubt it, 18 months between products is a LONG time in digital photography...
    Photo John, I'm wondering too. I'm looking to add either an E3 or this new E30 sometime in the next month or so. You are probably keeping some of this for your review. Just know that some are eager to hear your thoughts.
    Bicycles - Photography - People - Exploration
    GnatLikesBikes Blog

I shoot Olympus Cameras

Quote Originally Posted by GnatLikesBikes
    Photo John, I'm wondering too. I'm looking to add either an E3 or this new E30 sometime in the next month or so. You are probably keeping some of this for your review. Just know that some are eager to hear your thoughts.
    I'm not really keeping it for my review. I've just been super busy. I'm typing this from the airport

The answer is, I think the E-30 has better image quality. I haven't actually had a chance to do a direct comparison yet. But that's my impression. I am very, very happy with the image quality I'm getting from the E-30 - more so than I recall being with any Olympus camera so far. But like I said, I haven't done a direct comparison yet. I still have an E-3, so that's something that can be done. And if anyone wants to check for themselves, you can take a look at and even print high-res samples from both cameras. They're both posted at all ISO settings on the Digital Camera Sample Photos index page.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I'm not really keeping it for my review. I've just been super busy. I'm typing this from the airport

The answer is, I think the E-30 has better image quality. I haven't actually had a chance to do a direct comparison yet. But that's my impression. I am very, very happy with the image quality I'm getting from the E-30 - more so than I recall being with any Olympus camera so far. But like I said, I haven't done a direct comparison yet. I still have an E-3, so that's something that can be done. And if anyone wants to check for themselves, you can take a look at and even print high-res samples from both cameras. They're both posted at all ISO settings on the Digital Camera Sample Photos index page.
    Thanks Photo John. That's enough info for me right now. Looking forward to your review. Wherever you are and wherever you are going, thanks and have a safe and good trip.
    Bicycles - Photography - People - Exploration
    GnatLikesBikes Blog

I shoot Olympus Cameras

what setting would the ISO 3200 be used in ???

Thread Information