Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>

Sticked-in exposure function at halfway!?!?! (E-520)

Hi All,
    Day before yesterday I shoot fullmoon pictures in -7 °C. Later I tried to check the photos on LCD, but when I turned-on the camera, AF is instantly focused and when it found the right position, Beep... and fixed the exp. It seems like the exp. button sticked in half- pushed position. I could push it down for expo, but after it no any images appeared on LCD, the LCD was totally out. I turned it off, and tried to use it on AUTO mode. When I turned-on in AUTO mode, the problem was the same, the flash popped-up instantly for better focusing, strobed, focus fixed etc, but no exp. After that nothing could do with camera, because the exposure was closed. I plugged the camera unto the desktop to download the images, I tried out some remote option with Studio 2, and after that it works normally. What is your oppinion? Thanx.

Re: Sticked-in exposure function at halfway!?!?! (E-520)

I have had my E510 in the shop twice now for a sticky shutter. Each time it was a warranty repair with no questions asked. IF the shutter is sticking on you when you are not in a situation where you have finally gotten the shot you've been waiting for all day..... it will happen when you do. If you have warranty left on the camera then definitely get it fixed.
    Shooting with an Olympus Evolt E-510 and loving it

Equipment list:
    Olympus Evolt E-3, E-620, E-500
    Olympus Zuiko 40 - 150 F4.0 - 5.6
    Olympus Zuiko 14 - 45 F 2.8 - 3.6
    Sigma 50 - 500 F 4.0 - 6.3
    Sigma 70 - 200 F2.8
    Olympus FL-38 Flash x2
    Vivitar 285 HV
    Better Beamer Flash Extender

http://www.jdtimages.ca/

A Photographer that is fluent in Sarcasm.

Do you mean that it's mechanical failure and not firmware? Effectively the shutter button sticking-in into the camera?

It sounds like it needs to be sent back for repairs. I don't think there is a firmware update out for the 520 yet.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

What do you think about that when I've finsihed and went back into the house the whole camera was totally steamy. And when I plugged to the desktop the problem was obsoleted.

You are controlling the camera with computer icons when plugged into Studio Right? It could be going to cold to warm so fast messed up the buttons?
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

You're right! But! I try to avoid the warranty servicing (again), because the hungarian partner is not so flexible, I have had two CCD replacement (!) till now (purchase date: 20/09/2008) and the time to repair was approx. 2 months! I'am thinking about, could it be the root cause that when I goes from cold place into warm place I have huge mist condensation on the whole camera. Inside the camera the situation consequently the same, all of the electric circuits are waterish. Last time I was bit fast and turned-on the camera immediatelly. After discovered the problem I turned it off and went home to download the images. (I've taken the photos at my parents - 1-1,5 hours earlier! )
    Laszlo the "Philosopher"
    and his friends:
    -Olympus E-520
    -ZUIKO 14-42mm
    -ZUIKO 70-300mm
    -Metz 48 AF-1
    -and others

The condensation could very well be the problem. You should probably but the camera in a camera bag before bringing into the warm and letting the temperature come back up slowly.

Sony a99/a7R

I will do that in the future. I always study a lot. Last time unfortunately I did not bring the bag with myself. The fullmoon mesmerized me... i get off the camera and carried it bared. I think I am very fortunate that the camera dodged this affair with condensation. It was totally waterish... I was very brainless.
    Laszlo the "Philosopher"
    and his friends:
    -Olympus E-520
    -ZUIKO 14-42mm
    -ZUIKO 70-300mm
    -Metz 48 AF-1
    -and others

Thread Information