• 06-19-2010, 08:33 PM
    rubeel
    Olympus dust removal system wins Japanese invention award
    Olympus dust removal system wins Japanese invention award
    Friday, 18 June 2010 16:15 GMT

Olympus's dust reduction system, incorporated both in its E-series DSLRs and Micro Four Thirds cameras has won an award in Japan's National Invention Awards 2010. The awards are organized by the Japan Institute of Invention and Innovation (JIII) every June to honor the most significant patents of awarded in the previous year. Olympus Development Division manager Kawai Sumio will receive the award sponsored by national newspaper Asahi Shimbun, for the dust reduction system. The original patent application was made in December 2000, with the technology first appearing in the company's E-1 DSLR in 2003.

http://www.olympus.co.jp/jp/news/201...0618awardj.cfm
  • 06-20-2010, 05:35 AM
    Greg McCary
    Re: Olympus dust removal system wins Japanese invention award
    Knock on wood I have never had dust on any Olympus camera sensor. I have had four cameras and put them all through heck and back. it was one f the original selling points to me.
  • 06-22-2010, 01:49 PM
    Photo-John
    Olympus is one of the more, if not the most, innovative camera makers. Their accomplishments get forgotten after the big two camera makers incorporate them. Olympus is responsible for sensor cleaning, tilt-swivel LCDs on DSLRs, they made the first shockproof point-and-shoot camera and I believe they were also the first company to incorporate image stabilization at the sensor level.
  • 06-22-2010, 02:40 PM
    SmartWombat
    I thought Minolta were first, with the A1 ?
  • 06-22-2010, 02:54 PM
    Liz
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Olympus is one of the more, if not the most, innovative camera makers. Their accomplishments get forgotten after the big two camera makers incorporate them. Olympus is responsible for sensor cleaning, tilt-swivel LCDs on DSLRs, they made the first shockproof point-and-shoot camera and I believe they were also the first company to incorporate image stabilization at the sensor level.

Wow! Coming from Canon forever, I'm amazed how happy I am with Olympus. I always thought Canon couldn't be beat. I just love my Olympus E-PL1 (even the kit lens is great) and now the E-620 especially with the 50mm/f2. Couldn't be happier. I wouldn't go back to a camera without IBIS now.

Liz
  • 06-22-2010, 03:38 PM
    Photo-John
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    I thought Minolta were first, with the A1 ?

Good thing I qualified that statement :D