• 09-14-2009, 01:12 PM
    Photo-John
    1 Attachment(s)
    Olympus Doubters - E-620 & 70-300mm
    For people who think you can't do serious photography with the Olympus system, I submit this photo - action taken in the pouring rain, at about 10,000 feet of altitude. I have gear that might have worked better, but on a big mountain bike ride at altitude, the lighter, smaller Olympus E-620 is my weapon of choice. And I think this photo shows it can get the job done.
  • 09-14-2009, 02:13 PM
    Liz
    I've had a recent conversion!
    Excellent shot, John.

I don't have the E-620, but I've sure changed my "view" of the Olympus system since owning the E-P1. I never gave Olympus a second glance - or would even consider looking. I have to say that I've changed my mind big time. I'm very impressed with the image quality I get with the E-P1. I always thought Canon had the best color rendition....however, IMO Olympus is comparable.

I know there are still a lot of pros and cons about the E-P1 - mostly the cons are due to slow AF. However, I've learned to work with it, and am quite happy.

Also, I read that Olympus is coming out with new firmware tomorrow (September 15) specifically to "fix" the AF. We'll see.

Thanks for posting this thread. I still can't believe I don't regret selling my Canon equipment for Olympus! :thumbsup:

Liz
  • 09-14-2009, 02:28 PM
    mwfanelli2
    Re: Olympus Doubters - E-620 & 70-300mm
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Photo-John
    For people who think you can't do serious photography with the Olympus system, I submit this photo - action taken in the pouring rain, at about 10,000 feet of altitude. I have gear that might have worked better, but on a big mountain bike ride at altitude, the lighter, smaller Olympus E-620 is my weapon of choice. And I think this photo shows it can get the job done.

Of course, it gets the job done... mainly because you know what you are doing! Here, lots of light, rainy day to reduce the dynamic range, small print. Nice photo by the way.

Of course you can get great photos with an Olympus. But how many beginners really understand the tradeoffs with a 4/3 and have the expertise to know how to get around them?
  • 09-14-2009, 02:58 PM
    Photo-John
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mwfanelli2
    But how many beginners really understand the tradeoffs with a 4/3 and have the expertise to know how to get around them?

Those photographers will have the same challenges no matter what camera system they buy into. And if they happen to be photographers who will benefit from the smallest, lightest digital SLR system available, then Olympus is the way to go.
  • 09-14-2009, 03:10 PM
    OldClicker
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mwfanelli2
    Of course, it gets the job done... mainly because you know what you are doing! Here, lots of light, rainy day to reduce the dynamic range, small print. Nice photo by the way.

Of course you can get great photos with an Olympus. But how many beginners really understand the tradeoffs with a 4/3 and have the expertise to know how to get around them?

It seems to me that beginners are beginners because they don't know how to get around the 'tradeoffs' of any DSLR system - and they all have trade offs. For them it is just learning the system they have since they know nothing else. I bet the 4/3rds is more difficult for the 'experienced' shooters since they have already learned (deeply) something else and have pre-conceived ideas of what a photographic system should be. - TF
  • 09-14-2009, 05:02 PM
    Dave6223
    Excellent pictures, John, and well said OC. All photography is about capitalising on the strengths of the gear you use and working round the problems.

Dave
  • 09-14-2009, 10:17 PM
    Atomic2
  • 09-15-2009, 12:40 PM
    Dave6223
    And then there's people that know you can, eh Atomic?
  • 09-15-2009, 01:22 PM
    OldClicker
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Atomic2
    Theres people who think you can't do serious photography with Olympus...?

See! If you had a real sensor, you could have captured the whole car. :D -TF
  • 09-15-2009, 06:24 PM
    Don Kondra
    LOL

Actually Atomic, those are average results from Standard Grade lenses.

Do not mean to offend, just saying...

Cheers, Don