Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>

Olympus 9-18mm First Shots

I just got this lens this past week and took a trip to the beach with the family yesterday. This was a great place to test out this lens.

The image quality seems to be very good. Shots look crisp to me and color seems excellent. There is certainly some barrell distortion at the widest focal length but you can make that work for you.

You do have to be careful not to take photos that basically look like nothing. I wide shot of a large expanse of beach doesn't look like much without something to focus on in the foreground.

There is certainly a learning curve with this lens but I could see using it for a variety of shots.

The photos below are right out of the camera:

Re: Olympus 9-18mm First Shots

Not sure where the distortion you're referring to is. The shots look good to me. Nice and sharp. A little work would make them even nicer. This is going to be my next lens.

None of these shots look particularly distorted. I noticed it more on some other shots although the close up of my daughter seems a bit stretched to me. Maybe I'm being overly critical, but I also think that any distortion that may be present works well in the photo.

Those are some nice pictures. I really want a wide lens. I was holding out for the 7-14mm but the 9-18mm is looking good. Post a few wide open. Can you get a grad filter on it?
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Also I would love to read a review. Come back and post a link after you write one up, please.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

I bought the lens with an upcoming trip to Niagara Falls in September in mind. After I've had a month to fool with the lens and take my trip, I'd be glad to post a more in depth review.

This shot is at 9mm. To me the barrell distortion is much more prevalent on this shot:

P7311444

This one is at 9mm as well. Distortion does not seem as pronounced but is still present. The wider horizon seems to offset the distortion a bit.

P7311445

Edit: Actually, I think it's what's on the edges of the photo that contributes to how visible the distortion is. Notice the people in the upper left hand corner. They look a bit stretched.
    Last edited by erikzen; 08-02-2010 at 09:09 AM.

I see what you're talking about now, but for what I want it for, I don't think it'll be ab issue. Looks like a great lens.

I had read the reviews and knew to expect that kind of barrell distortion, especially at 9mm. At 12mm, it's hardly noticeable.

So far, I like the lens very much. Shots are sharp and the color is excellent as far as my eyes can tell. I think I'm going to be using it quite often.

I took some shots at the musuem this past weekend. The lighting was not great and I'm finding you can't really use the built in flash with this lens. Still, I managed to get some passable shots and the wide angle is great for capturing larger exhibits.

Danny and the Dinosaur

This seems to be a very versatile lens. I think I may end up using this more than I thought.

Thread Information