Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>
    Liz

Olympus 9-18 lens question

I'm looking at the Olympus Zuiko 9-18 lens to use with the E-620 and E-PL1. It's about the least expensive wide angle zoom I can afford at $475 that will work with both cameras. I already have the appropriate adapter.

Does anyone have experience using this lens? Looking for user reviews.

Thanks.

Liz

Re: Olympus 9-18 lens question

I have one and it has become my walk around lens. I love it and for the price it is sharp. I was lucky and got mine on sale at Amazon for less that $400 shipped.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by bikefreax
    I have one and it has become my walk around lens. I love it and for the price it is sharp. I was lucky and got mine on sale at Amazon for less that $400 shipped.
    Thanks for the input. I'm probably going to wait a while since my budget is limited and there some other lenses I'm interested in. I don't have a huge budget so have to be careful about what I spend it on.

Liz

Did you ever buy this lens? I'm considering this lens now for the same reasons you sited. Wide angle at a reasonable price. I'm considering this for a trip to Niagara Falls. Are there other lenses that are recommended for landscapes with the E Series? (I have E-520).

I use the 12-60mm. It don't get much better than that unless you get into the really high end stuff. I found mine on craigslist for less than half of retail.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

The 12-60mm is an interesting idea. I was thinking of the 9-18mm because it's just "that" more wide. I currently have the two kit lenses, 14-42mm and the 40-150mm, plus the 70-300mm and the 50mm Macro.

As an amatuer photographer I'm pretty happy with all the lenses. They are all capable of producing great images under the right conditions. Certainly I can recognize that the 50mm is of higher quality, both in terms of the construction and the image quality produced, but I don't really feel like I need to replace my 14-42mm lens. I'm sure if I tried the 12-60mm I might think otherwise because that lens gets great reviews here and elsewhere.

The 12-60 is really out of my price range too, but if I could find a good deal I would consider it.

What about the Sigma 10-20mm, can anybody recommend that?

I haven't read anything bad about the 9-18mm. Most are very pleased with it. You might check here for some sample pictures, looks good to me..
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/9-18mm/
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Have Cameras. Will Shoot! NaturalWoman's Avatar

my 9-18 arrived yesterday and i took a few shots, maybe 20-25 with it and i am in love. it's awesome. highly recommened if wide angle is your thing. it's amazing, it's light, it's sharp. it's olympus! :9:
    Happily photographing within my camera's limitations.Website

If I ever go wide I always use my 15mm Voiglander and just shoot film. But really I have only read great things about the 9-18mm. I just don't think you would go wrong with it.

Sony a99/a7R

Good enough for me. Hopefully, I'll be getting the 9-18mm soon.

I am intrigued by the 12-60mm now though. I'm keeping an eye out for deals. I saw one on eBay that seemed reasonable but I've already been outbid and it's now over my budget.

Keep an eye on Craigslist. I got my 12-60mm probably cheaper than I could have gotten a 9-18mm. My 12-60mm is in mint shape too.

Sony a99/a7R

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by erikzen
    Did you ever buy this lens? I'm considering this lens now for the same reasons you sited. Wide angle at a reasonable price. I'm considering this for a trip to Niagara Falls. Are there other lenses that are recommended for landscapes with the E Series? (I have E-520).
    Not yet.......BUT

I just returned from a trip to St. Edmund's Island in Mystic Connecticut and the Berkshires (MA). I REALLY missed the wide angle lens I didn't have!!!! I thought I'd go with what I have, the Oly 14-42, 40-150 and the Panny 20mm. Going to Mystic and the Berkshires with the water and mountains, it was a big mistake not to have wider than 14mm (at least for me). I did get some nice images, but every day I was wishing I had purchased the 9-18.

However, the next time I'll be away will be the end of August when we go to Lake George. I'm going to wait to see if any new wide angle 4/3 or M4/3 lenses arrive on the scene beforehand. If not, I'll most likely get the 9-18 - although not sure if it will be the 4/3 or M4/3 - about $230 difference in the price.

I checked out the amazing 12-60, but it is too heavy for me. I sold my Canon equipment due to the weight, and the 12-60 is too big & heavy for me to carry around. And a bit expensive - above my budget. Unfortunately!

Liz

Liz

Wow! I just ordered the micro 9-18 from Amazon.

The price dropped $100. It might be a rebate; however, both B&H and Amazon do not mention rebates, but lowered the price from $691 to $598.

The $100 savings pushed me over the fence since the micro is only about $100 - $125 more than the Zuiko ED. I saw the lens at B&H a couple of weeks ago - it is TINY!

Liz

I just pulled the trigger on the ED version. $478.90 with tax and shipping from NextWarehouse.com. I never ordered anything from them before so hopefully all goes well.

Liz

I just pulled the trigger on the ED version. $478.90 with tax and shipping from NextWarehouse.com. I never ordered anything from them before so hopefully all goes well.
    Congratulations! I hope you enjoy it - and post some photos when you get a chance.

I just got mine today and hope to try it out in the next day or two.

Liz

I'm looking forward to seeing your shots too, Liz. Please post.

Off topic - is it the 4/3 lenses that fit on the micro 4/3 cameras with an adaptor or the other way around?

Liz

I'm looking forward to seeing your shots too, Liz. Please post.

Off topic - is it the 4/3 lenses that fit on the micro 4/3 cameras with an adaptor or the other way around?
    Yes, the 4/3 lenses fit the m4/3 cameras. It doesn't work the other way around unfortunately.

I can't wait to get out and use it. I'll post some pics - I might even sneak out tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Liz

FYI, my 9-18 came today. Now I can't sit still because it was delivered to my office but my camera is home.

Liz

FYI, my 9-18 came today. Now I can't sit still because it was delivered to my office but my camera is home.
    Congratulations! I was unable to get out to try my camera except for taking some shots outside the house. I'm hoping to get out in the next couple of days. I can't wait!

I'm looking forward to seeing some of your shots - and what you think of it....

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    I'm looking forward to seeing some of your shots - and what you think of it....
    OK, here are a couple of shots

Danny and the Dinosaur

P7311458

While these may not be my favorite all time shots, I think they illustrate the strengths of the lens.

To my eyes, the color and clarity of these images are very good. The shot of the dinosaour was taken indoors without flash at F/4.0, 1/40, ISO 100 at 9mm so it performs better than passably in relatively low light conditions.

The second shot shows really deep depth of field. It was shot at F/11, 1/125, ISO 100 at 11mm. The background may not be great but it shows a nice expanse of beach and there is very little barrel distortion as compared to the ultra wide 9mm shots.

I would say this is a very versatile lens that can be used for ultra-wide angle shots and also makes a decent walk-around lens for a variety of subjects such as archetecture, street scenes, landscapes and even portraits, provided you get up close to your subject.

I'm happy with it so far but the real test will be Niagara Falls over the Labor Day weekend.

Liz

Very nice images! Thanks for sharing them. I did get to try out my new 9-18.....but haven't had time to process them. I did view them - and am very pleased.

I love the first one. Surprisingly good indoors. I'll have to give lowlight a shot!

Liz

Thread Information