Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>

You learn something new everyday

I was playing arond with the settings on my camera yesterday and made a discovery that I probably would have made had I not been such a "man" and read the manual.

The E500 will shoot continuous in "sport mode" to the capacity of the card if you back the resolution down to HQ (possibly SHQ as well) form .raw. In Raw it will only shoot 4 shots at 2.5 fps but if you need to capture a long series (race crach... finish line ... explosion of birds taking off from a lake...etc) having it set to HQ will give you that capability.

Next time I think I will read the manual and save myself a year of complaining. =)
    Shooting with an Olympus Evolt E-510 and loving it

Equipment list:
    Olympus Evolt E-3, E-620, E-500
    Olympus Zuiko 40 - 150 F4.0 - 5.6
    Olympus Zuiko 14 - 45 F 2.8 - 3.6
    Sigma 50 - 500 F 4.0 - 6.3
    Sigma 70 - 200 F2.8
    Olympus FL-38 Flash x2
    Vivitar 285 HV
    Better Beamer Flash Extender

http://www.jdtimages.ca/

A Photographer that is fluent in Sarcasm.

Re: You learn something new everyday

Quote Originally Posted by Jaedon
    I was playing arond with the settings on my camera yesterday and made a discovery that I probably would have made had I not been such a "man" and read the manual.

The E500 will shoot continuous in "sport mode" to the capacity of the card if you back the resolution down to HQ (possibly SHQ as well) form .raw. In Raw it will only shoot 4 shots at 2.5 fps but if you need to capture a long series (race crach... finish line ... explosion of birds taking off from a lake...etc) having it set to HQ will give you that capability.

Next time I think I will read the manual and save myself a year of complaining. =)
    Yeah that is a great feature when you really need it. The camera only has to be in continuous, not sport mode. It does not matter what mode you are in. It does not work in SHQ, on that setting it's back to 4FPS.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Wait.. I have read and re-read the manual in an attempt to find out how to have the camera in continuous when in manual mode instead of having to switch to sport mode. Where is this information found... or could you walk me through it John? When I try to set it to continuous in Full Manual the selection is greyed out and the camera simply will not allow me to choose it unless I am in sport mode or in Auto mode. Kind of silly to offer it in Auto and not in Manual mode.

****EDIT****

I just did a full search of the manual and of Olympus America's website looking for information on this and it is simply not there. I sent an email to Olympus Support asking them if they are aware of this issue and if there is going to be a firmware update in teh future or if this is simply the way they've made their camera. I know full well that this feature is available on the E1 and teh E300 so why was it excluded for the 500?

I will update when I get a response.

Jay
    Last edited by Jaedon; 01-20-2007 at 08:44 AM.

Equipment list:
    Sigma 70 - 200 F2.8
    Olympus FL-38 Flash x2
    Vivitar 285 HV

Wait.. I have read and re-read the manual in an attempt to find out how to have the camera in continuous when in manual mode instead of having to switch to sport mode. Where is this information found... or could you walk me through it John? When I try to set it to continuous in Full Manual the selection is greyed out and the camera simply will not allow me to choose it unless I am in sport mode or in Auto mode. Kind of silly to offer it in Auto and not in Manual mode.
    The only two features I have encountered that stop you from using continuous in manual mode are noise reduction and anti-shock. Noise reduction grays the option out, like you mentioned, and anti-shock severly hinders, but does not eliminate it.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

I got my response from Olympus in record time today. They gave me the exact same answer as you did. I did not notice I had turned on Noise Reduction at some point while cruising the menu. They did not however tell me about anti shock causing a hinderance so that is good information to know.

I did discover something that may be a glitch but it works in the photographers favour. If you select scene mode and then select sport shooting, it will allow you to "fill the card" with burst shots in SHQ. In all other modes this is only an option in HQ quality but for some reason when in this Scene selection mode you get the boost of one resolution.
    Last edited by Jaedon; 01-23-2007 at 01:45 PM.

Equipment list:
    Sigma 70 - 200 F2.8
    Olympus FL-38 Flash x2
    Vivitar 285 HV

I did discover something that may be a glitch but it works in the photographers favour. If you select scene mode and then select sport shooting, it will allow you to "fill the card" with murst shots in SHQ. In all other modes this is only an option in HQ quality but for some reason when in this Scene selection mode you get the boost of one resolution.
    Now that I did not know. I will be sure to remember it.

Thanks!
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Rtfm!

It's a rule to live by. There's a reason they make those things
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information