• 08-08-2008, 10:02 AM
    albot976
    noise filter and dynamic range
    I was unaware of this and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts. I just read here that noise filters, such as the e-510's noise filter, has a significant effect on the dynamic range. Turning it off yields a much smaller dynamic range than leaving it on.

I haven't been able to test this out myself, but does anyone understand why this is or have any thoughts about this?

Since I generally find myself looking for a bit more dynamic range in my photos, I'm thinking about pushing it back up to low (any higher then I'd probably find myself looking for more detail).
  • 08-08-2008, 10:22 AM
    Greg McCary
    Re: noise filter and dynamic range
    Well it makes since that it would and they look as though they have done the homework. I really can't be the one to agree or disagree. But it is interested to say the least and I would certainly like to see the same test results on the E3 and 520.
  • 08-08-2008, 10:32 AM
    albot976
    Re: noise filter and dynamic range
    I think I'm having trouble understanding this.

My limited knowledge makes me guess that more noise makes shadow detail harder to distinguish - and that's where the decrease in dynamic range is. Or am I just totally wrong?