Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>

Thread: New XZ-1 Photos

Liz

New XZ-1 Photos

I posted a few images on Viewfinder from my new XZ-1 just to share the excitement of using a new camera for the first time. So, here are a few more to share in the "official" Olympus forum! :thumbsup:

These were all shot at the Jersey Shore. The composition is not the best because I couldn't see the LCD screen for the most part due to the bright sun and glare from the water. I have the VF-2 from my E-PL2 but had forgotten to take it along unfortunately.

Probably most decent digital cameras would do just about as well in good light. I'm hoping to get some of my models (2 cats) indoors in low light to see how this bright lens works. I'll post as soon as I get the kitties to pose.

Liz

Re: New XZ-1 Photos

Really Nice pictures, were u using jpeg or RAW ?
    Olympus E-5
    Olympus Zuiko Digital Ed 14-35mm F2.0 Swd
    Olympus Zuiko Digital Ed 50-200mm F2.8-3.5
    Olympus Zuiko Digital Ed 12-60mm F2.8/4.0 Swd
    Olympus Zuiko Digital Ed 7-14mm F4.0
    Sigma 30mm F1.4
    Olympus FL-50R Flash

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by rubeel
    Really Nice pictures, were u using jpeg or RAW ?
    Thanks!

These were all jpg straight out of camera - no post processing.

Actually I basically had to use auto because the sun was very bright - and the glare from the ocean would not let me see the screen for most shots. The shot of the house was across the street from the ocean, and the screen was still difficult to see.

At any rate, I don't shoot RAW because I don't have much time for photography, and I don't want to spend the time on the computer so I try to get the best I can out of camera. For me, that is more fun.

I know there are complaints about noise shooting in jpg, but I think with the right settings it won't bother me too much. My next challenge is doing the indoor low light photos.

Thursday I'm leaving for the weekend - on a retreat with my camera! Seriously, I really am going on a retreat, but I always have my camera when I do. :thumbsup:

Thanks for checking the images and for your comments. So far, it's a great little camera. The best thing is that I can share the VF-2 with my E-PL2 and the XZ-1!

Liz

pretty crisp and clean for something out of the box and 'auto'.....really lets you appreciate the camera...

i read a review in a magazine recently and the reviewer said something to the effect, you almost have the impression that 'Apple could have designed this'......
    You took a photo of what?
    SONY a6000
    SONY RX100M3
    Canon S110

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

naah, if Apple had designed it, then for a start it'd be twice the price.
    Then it'd be styled all curved and smooth, and it'd slip straight out of your fingers when you tried to use it
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Liz

Thanks everyone! I really enjoyed reading the comments.

Paul - after these weeks, how are you liking the XZ-1 - and what do you mostly use it for?

Liz

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Do? Everything, it's my pocket camera.
    I think it's filling the same niche as my Canon G9 - it fits into the E-system using the same flash as the E-P1 and GH-1.

I wish it had Adobe colour space, that'd make it complete.
    And a mode dial lock so it doesn't get changed dragging it out of my pocket.
    Oh and a wrist strap would be nice.

But as a camera, coupled with the VF-2, I like it.

Time will tell if it goes BER full of fluff a few days out of warranty like the G9.
    If that camera hadn't failed so spectacularly to keep the dust out, I'd still be using Canon instead of going down the Micro 4/3 route and eventually to the XZ-1.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Excellent. I agree, clean and crisp with very nice details.
    How do you post large images here in the forum?, I'm always asked to reduce the size to 800 pixels.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Asmarlak
    Excellent. I agree, clean and crisp with very nice details.
    How do you post large images here in the forum?, I'm always asked to reduce the size to 800 pixels.
    Thank you for your comments. Also, I find the color quite accurate. I especially noticed this with the ocean water. It had been stormy with high waves, and the "brown" color of the water in the image above is just how I observed it. I took note because normally the water is very clear close up - and blue further out.....but not that day. It is the same with the colors in the other images.

BTW, I see you figured out how to post larger images. :thumbsup:

Liz

Showed a more advanced photographer I know a few simple photos I took of my son, with blurred background...he had to take a second look to realize the sensor was a CCD rather than a CMOS.....
    Mind you it's not like this camera is priced at $300, I paid mine about 1 month ago $499 (CAN), so you are paying premium for this calibre of 'point and shoot'.

I sold my E-PL2 after only a few months. Considering my life does not currently permit me to enjoy photography as much as I would, I will keep it simpler with the XZ-1, which enables me to still take better quality images than those little tiny pocketable models I'm sick of......
    SONY a6000
    SONY RX100M3
    Canon S110

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by fotomatix
    Showed a more advanced photographer I know a few simple photos I took of my son, with blurred background...he had to take a second look to realize the sensor was a CCD rather than a CMOS.....
    Mind you it's not like this camera is priced at $300, I paid mine about 1 month ago $499 (CAN), so you are paying premium for this calibre of 'point and shoot'.

I sold my E-PL2 after only a few months. Considering my life does not currently permit me to enjoy photography as much as I would, I will keep it simpler with the XZ-1, which enables me to still take better quality images than those little tiny pocketable models I'm sick of......
    Are you doing jpg or RAW? I know there have been complaints about smearing using jpg, but so far so good. If you don't go above ISO 400, there is not usually a problem - depending on the aperture. I don't often do very large prints so jpg works quite well for me.

I'm really enjoying this camera! My only problem is that I need to get out more! The sun has not been out much at all the past few weeks since I got the camera. Also, I need to try more low-light/indoor shots.

Liz

I use jpeg, no time really to manipulate or process raw.
    I've heard that before, in fact with most cameras of 'lower end', keep iso between 100 to 400 and it's always a solid performance.
    I find 8X10 are pretty good with the XZ-1. Ideal is 5X7. My favourite size.
    I hear ya about getting out more Liz. I have a family which includes 2 young boys, a wife natually, and dog. Work weekdays to pay the bills and the weekends just 'zoom' by. I do try to bring my camera with me as much as possible, even though my entire family think i'm nuts.
    SONY a6000
    SONY RX100M3
    Canon S110

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    naah, if Apple had designed it, then for a start it'd be twice the price.
    Then it'd be styled all curved and smooth, and it'd slip straight out of your fingers when you tried to use it

Ha ha! Like!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information