New Olympus E-5!

Printable View

• 09-13-2010, 11:28 PM
    Photo-John
    1 Attachment(s)
    New Olympus E-5!
    Olympus released information on the new E-5 flagship DSLR tonight. I had a pre-production camera for a few days and I'm wrapping up an article right now. In the meantime, here's a small photo of the camera for those of you who can't wait. There's a huge version, here, in the gallery.

It's got a 12-megapixel sensor, 720p video and a new 3-inch tilt-swivel LCD. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll do my best to answer them here or address your questions in my article.

Hands-On Olympus E-5 Digital SLR Preview >>

I'm working on a hands-on video, too.
  • 09-14-2010, 02:32 AM
    Greg McCary
    Re: New Olympus E-5!
    Thanks John for posting. I have been reading rumors for weeks. It really boils down to IQ with me. My E3 has been acting up lately like there maybe something going to happen. I will certainly need a replacement sooner or later.
  • 09-14-2010, 11:07 AM
    Greg McCary
    Olympus website states $1699.00. About what I was thinking.
  • 09-14-2010, 09:02 PM
    Photo-John
    Well, it will almost definitely be better than the E-3. The question is, how much better will it be than the E-30 and E-620? And how competitive will it be with comparably priced and spec'd cameras from other manufacturers? I wasn't allowed to do any testing since the camera I had wasn't final. But they did say that they had a new processing algorythm that was supposed to reduce noise and improve detail. I don't know how much I can glean from what I shot but, as I said in my announcement article, ISO 800 looked really good. That leaves me with a positive feeling for the E-5.

I'd really like to see Olympus take another step forward with their digital SLRs. Ultimately, I'm mostly interested in what will replace the E-620 since the small Olympus DSLRs have the most to offer me. And I know that anything they do with the E-5 will eventually show up in whatever replaces the E-620.
  • 09-14-2010, 09:50 PM
    Sushigaijin
    Well, it shows that olympus is listening to the market. HD video, better LCD - both things that 4/3 have lagged on. That's a good indication for the future of 4/3 and m4/3.
  • 09-14-2010, 10:27 PM
    Photo-John
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sushigaijin
    Well, it shows that olympus is listening to the market. HD video, better LCD - both things that 4/3 have lagged on. That's a good indication for the future of 4/3 and m4/3.

Yes, and one thing I neglected to note - for anyone who might have been worried that Olympus wasn't committed to their digital SLR customers, I think the E-5 demonstrates that they're in it for the long haul.
  • 09-15-2010, 04:20 AM
    Asmarlak
    The specifications of this camera seem be very identical to the E-30 in many ways with little differences here and there with mainly the video ability. Does that justify the price tag when you can get the E-30 now for half the price?. I paid only $799 for the E-30. I think Olympus has been going crazy about their prices lately. Something which proves what some people have been saying all along about not competing with Canon and Nikon and trying to convert their users to buy Olympus but rather selling their products to their loyal fans at the highest cost possible.
  • 09-16-2010, 08:52 AM
    Sushigaijin
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Asmarlak
    The specifications of this camera seem be very identical to the E-30 in many ways with little differences here and there with mainly the video ability. Does that justify the price tag when you can get the E-30 now for half the price?. I paid only $799 for the E-30. I think Olympus has been going crazy about their prices lately. Something which proves what some people have been saying all along about not competing with Canon and Nikon and trying to convert their users to buy Olympus but rather selling their products to their loyal fans at the highest cost possible.

What more do you want? To be honest, the E3 is extremely capable and I'm not sure much can be done to improve it. Certainly there will be no more "quantum leaps" of DSLR technology for a while. Camera resolution will steadily improve at a modest rate, features will be added slowly, and they will get faster as bandwidth and processing improves - but modern DSLRs are standing at a brick wall: micro systems are taking away the entry-level market that was supporting the pro market, and the pro market is dominated by DSLRs that work perfectly well.

I'd be happy to have IQ and interface gradually improve while some of the long-forgotten lenses surface, like the ZD 100mm macro that I've been waiting on for four years. I'd also like to see the pro level E series get a little smaller and lighter, but I understand that nature photographers are the minority...
  • 09-16-2010, 09:55 AM
    calexp
    Not that much upgrade from the E-3 (for me at least) but nice anyway.
    I'll stick with the E-3 since there are aspects i haven't fully discovered...yet.
    But if i needed a serious upgrade i probably go full-frame :D.

PS. Nice to see that Olympus still cares for the 4/3 DSLR system and not only for m4/3.
  • 09-16-2010, 10:57 AM
    Marc2B4
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Yes, and one thing I neglected to note - for anyone who might have been worried that Olympus wasn't committed to their digital SLR customers, I think the E-5 demonstrates that they're in it for the long haul.

Totally agree.
  • 09-16-2010, 11:45 AM
    SmartWombat
    I think that the demonstration of commitment to the 4/3 system is the most important thing about this. It's not going to win on bullet-point comparisons to other pro level bodies.
    I can't envision many people abandoning Canon, Nikon, or Sony to move to Olympus because of the E5.
    But as an extension of the system, it's essential to give Olympus users an upgrade path within the 4/3 system rather than jumping ship.

If I was to buy from scratch today where I started out 5 years ago (ending up with a Canon 20D) then my choice of systems is much wider today. I'd be choosing between Sony, Olympus, Pentax, Canon & Nikon I think.
  • 09-16-2010, 12:06 PM
    Photo-John
    Quote:

Originally Posted by calexp
    But if i needed a serious upgrade i probably go full-frame

I always have to ask. Why full-frame? What will it offer you that your current system or a better crop-sensor camera doesn't?
  • 09-16-2010, 01:48 PM
    Greg McCary
    Quote:

I always have to ask. Why full-frame? What will it offer you that your current system or a better crop-sensor camera doesn't?

John I have never even seen a FF camera in person. But maybe it's a myth but I think most photographers think that FF offers the best IQ and at higher ISO's.
    But I also read that FF cameras are beasts. You have shot them first hand you tell me? Olympus has never let me down and I think that in camera IS and
    the killer sharp lenses is a big edge that Olympus has. I hope the IQ of the E5 is better than the m4/3rd cameras. My E3 is starting to fail me some, the lens release
    switch is starting to fail causing the camera to lose communication the the lens. In other words the F/stop doesn't show on the LCD or in the VF. I can play with the switch
    and sometimes it starts working again. I may have to send it in for repair...
    I got to give the old E3 some credit though. I have abused it, mud, snow, heat, cold and rain. Even a 30ft fall and it is still kickin..
  • 09-16-2010, 08:29 PM
    Photo-John
    Greg-
    Full frame cameras do offer better image quality. They have bigger pixels that collect cleaner data and you can't get around that fact. When you compare the 12-megapixel Nikon D3s and a 12-megapixel Olympus Four Thirds sensor camera, you're talking about the same resolution on a much bigger piece of property. In terms of image quality the Olympus just isn't going to compete. The question is, does it really need to? How many of us need what the D3S has to offer? And how many of us want to pay the price - physically - having to lug it around; not to mention the $5000 price tag. It's an awesome camera, for sure. But it's a lot more than most people need, most of the time.

I made a hands-on video intro for the E-5 but had trouble getting it edited. It's done now and I added it to the intro article. I actually show the E-5 and the Nikon D3s together. How about that for a demo :)
  • 09-17-2010, 09:29 AM
    albot976
    Quote:

I'd really like to see Olympus take another step forward with their digital SLRs. Ultimately, I'm mostly interested in what will replace the E-620 since the small Olympus DSLRs have the most to offer me. And I know that anything they do with the E-5 will eventually show up in whatever replaces the E-620.

Completely agree. Most of my photography happens when I'm kayaking, backpacking, climbing, or just traveling, and so the E-5 doesn't really appeal to me, except for the weatherproofing and the allegedly relatively lighter AA filter. It's a bit too heavy and not enough bang for the buck. So naturally, the E-620 replacement is what I'm most interested in as far as my everyday shooting goes.

Still, E-5 looks like a nice piece of camera and I'll be reading plenty of reviews on it to see how Olympus did, despite having no desire to acquire one.
  • 09-17-2010, 11:15 AM
    Photo-John
    AA filter
    Quote:

Originally Posted by albot976
    and the allegedly relatively lighter AA filter.

That's interesting. I hadn't heard that. For those who don't know what we're talking about - the AA filter is an anti aliasing filter that covers the sensor. It's there to minimize moire patterns, a common problem with digital camera sensors - especially with increased pixel density. One of the side effects of the AA filter is softening of the captured image. And most experts agree that the Olympus digital SLRs have heavier AA filtering, which results in images that need more sharpening in post processing. So a lighter AA filter could be part of the equation for improving image quality and detail in the E-5.

I'm going to talk to Olypus and see if I can get confirmation on this. Thanks for mentioning it!
  • 09-17-2010, 11:18 AM
    Greg McCary
    Wow PJ. I have seen smaller bowling balls than the size of the D3s. LOL
    No kidding this site, and a couple more, is about the only way I get any info on cameras. It is just to far to drive to go to Atlanta when I want to window shop. Places like Wal-mart and Staples only carry Canon's. Thanks for posting the video.
  • 09-19-2010, 01:22 AM
    calexp
    As far as i know E-3 is one of it's kind. Has it's own sensor, not like E-5 that borrowed from E-PL1.
    For me, E-5 is like patching up several models together, almost everything (except from the TruePic V+ engine) is borrowed. Never the less, E-5 is a nice update for 4/3 users.
    As far as the AA filter, i've heard that E-5 has a lighter AA filter.
    To go a little technical... the AA filter is on the IR-Cut glass in front of the sensor, so a lighter AA filter means thinner IR-Cut filter.
    The good news are that it's more succeptible to IR spectrum so good news for all you (and me) who are taking IR-like photos.
    The bad news are that the more light from IR spectum getting on the sensor changes some colors of the photo, not much but it's there.

I think i'll save my money to get new lenses. Bodies come and go, Glass is forever! :D

PS. Photo-John when i meant a serious upgrade to go to full frame, i mean a SERIOUS upgrade, like going full pro as a job, but for now i'm good :thumbsup:.
  • 09-19-2010, 08:33 AM
    Photo-John
    Quote:

Originally Posted by calexp
    PS. Photo-John when i meant a serious upgrade to go to full frame, i mean a SERIOUS upgrade, like going full pro as a job, but for now i'm good :thumbsup:.

But why? What do you think full frame has to offer that smaller sensor cameras don't? I'm not saying there aren't differences. I just want to make sure people who are planning to move to full frame know what they really are :)
  • 09-19-2010, 11:30 AM
    calexp
    Quote:

But why? What do you think full frame has to offer that smaller sensor cameras don't? I'm not saying there aren't differences. I just want to make sure people who are planning to move to full frame know what they really are :)

As Greg (and you) in previous posts said, FF cams have better IQ than a crop-sensor cam.
    Of course the price tags and/or the weight of these beasts is way more than a normal user can cope with.
    I've seen (and played a little with) one of them (1Ds mark III) from a friend photographer, but that is his job, that's what he is paid for.
    For me currently, E-3 is enough for what i'm doing. The HD video and the other stuff that they put in E-5 are tempting but not enough for me to leave E-3.
  • 09-19-2010, 02:45 PM
    Greg McCary
    I use a tripod, when needed, and seldom shoot over 400iso. Sometimes when shooting for fun, kids ect. But if less noise at high iso's also equals less at lower iso's too that would be a big factor for me. I can always use better IQ even at 100iso.
  • 09-19-2010, 03:53 PM
    MikeyNy
    I have to agree with alot of the people on here, the video and other features are tempting, but for me using the E-620 it's just not worth it, video is definatly cool, but I feel like its just an E-3 2.0, the extra noise reduction would definetly be nice but its not a deal maker nor is the LCD on the 620 a problem so an extra half an inch isn't that huge a difference. To me atleast if I was in the market for a replacement I would probably still buy an E-3 simply for the price difference.
  • 09-20-2010, 08:09 AM
    albot976
    Re: AA filter
    Quote:

And most experts agree that the Olympus digital SLRs have heavier AA filtering, which results in images that need more sharpening in post processing. So a lighter AA filter could be part of the equation for improving image quality and detail in the E-5.

I'm going to talk to Olypus and see if I can get confirmation on this. Thanks for mentioning it!

A lot of preview articles on the E-5 mention the lighter filter, although no one has cited or shown anything authoritative to confirm it. Personally, I hope it's true and that they go that route with any other new models.

As far as the side discussion on full frame cameras, it's one of those things that I'd love to have but would rarely need to use for my purposes. Honestly, my photos would benefit far more from better technique/timing/composition instead.
  • 09-22-2010, 02:58 PM
    Greg McCary
    Quote:

Originally Posted by albot976
    Completely agree. Most of my photography happens when I'm kayaking, backpacking, climbing, or just traveling, and so the E-5 doesn't really appeal to me, except for the weatherproofing and the allegedly relatively lighter AA filter. It's a bit too heavy and not enough bang for the buck. So naturally, the E-620 replacement is what I'm most interested in as far as my everyday shooting goes.

Still, E-5 looks like a nice piece of camera and I'll be reading plenty of reviews on it to see how Olympus did, despite having no desire to acquire one.

You should consider a m4/3rd. It is amazing with the 7-14mm. MB1, a member here takes his m4/3rd kayaking and he has posted some amazing pictures. I have read the same about the AA filter but I haven't read anything for sure. I don't like posting rumors. I think they just lead to misinformation. I have read it all in the past few weeks. But I feel the E5 is a nice upgrade and it may hold some secrets inside. I reserve comment on IQ until I see it first hand.
  • 09-22-2010, 03:22 PM
    Marc2B4
    From what I've read, the E-5 doesn't seem to be a big leap forward in D-SLR technology from Olympus. Adding video to a still camera just seems to defeat the purpose of a still camera. If I want to shoot video, I'll go buy a HD video camera for a quarter of the price of an E-5; I'm a photographer, not a videographer. Anyone who considers them to be the same, doesn't understand the art. Irritates me to no end listening to news videographers being called "photojournalists".