New lense or new body?

Printable View

• 04-20-2010, 08:39 PM
    moezoo
    New lense or new body?
    I currently have the Olympus E-410 body with the two lenses that came with the kit. The 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 and 40-150mm f4-5.6. I am ready to start upgrading. I mean about $1000 dollars at this point. I am frustrated with the low-light and internal flash in low light because it does a disco style flash in low light and often will not even take the picture. Is this because of no image stabilization. I also take alot of outdoor pictures of my kids and have a hard time getting the sharp colors I would like to be getting. Should I be upgrading my body to the E30 or do I upgrade the lense first?
  • 04-20-2010, 09:39 PM
    Greg McCary
    Re: New lense or new body?
    Yes it sounds like you need to upgrade. The disco type light is a pre flash to let the camera see enough to focus. All built is flashes are going to be a let down. If you get a camera with IS then it will take better pictures in low light without a flash. The E30 would be good or maybe the 620. But as far as lenses go I would get the 14-54mm. It out performs the kits lens and if you look around the used market you can get one for about $300.00 or so.
  • 04-20-2010, 09:57 PM
    Don Kondra
    And if you need to use a flash, get it off camera... the built in flash on all models is a last ditch effort kinda thing.

Cheers, Don
  • 04-21-2010, 02:18 AM
    Atomic2
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Kondra
    And if you need to use a flash, get it off camera... the built in flash on all models is a last ditch effort kinda thing.

Cheers, Don

The flash on my E-3 works surprisingly well. I wish there was some way to tilt it further up for a bounce effect though. Panasonic had that idea back in the day with their L1. Regular pop-up flashes should be able to have a second setting where they tilt further up. Sure you'd get less range out of them, but how often do you use the full 12m anyway? You're usually within the first 5.
  • 04-21-2010, 04:03 AM
    Greg McCary
    For $1000.00 I would be looking for an E3 New or even used.
  • 04-21-2010, 04:15 AM
    Iguanamom
    While I do love my E-30 and think the E-3 a fine choice, you'll be going from a tiny camera to a huge camera in one fell swoop. Both those Es are monsters in terms of bulk and weight. If you're used to a hummingbird you're moving to butterball territory. I'd look at the E-630 if portability is a factor. It has the same sensor and IQ of the E-30, but in a smaller package. There are some awesome deals on the E-620 out there now and you'll have enough $ left over for a good flash as well.
  • 04-22-2010, 09:28 AM
    MikeyNy
    If the E-30 and E-620 have the same sensor then I would say go with the the 620, it's smaller and less expensive, yet has most of the same features like the IS you need, but I would highly recommend getting an off body flash if you get the 620 and the 14-54 lens, I find the 620 still hunts alot with the 14-42 kit lens and unless your shooting M mode and have the settings dialed in you may run into the same problem as the 410.