Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>

So far I like my new e-620

I purchased a e-620 months before however the camera I got was defective. My first copy had hot pixels that could not be removed in pixel mapping, also the bottom of all my photos had a yellow tint. Something was wrong with the sensor. After a long time going back and forth trying to get a replacement, I finally received a new e-620 on April.12,2010.I have good news, the replacement is wonderful, great image quality and has been trouble free. The reason I got this camera was because I wanted to try to get into the world of macro photography. The 2x crop factor is a perfect match for the 35mm f3.5 macro. I plan on useing this camera for travel and photographing insects when outdoors. Still trying to get used to the razor thin DOF when shooting macro subjects, I sometimes find it difficult how a slight movement forwards or backwards can throw off focus. Guess that's what tripods are for.

So far the things I like are...

1.nice and small. I don't think a dslr needs to be any smaller than the e-620, its the perfect size for comfort and convenience, but I have to admit the ep-2 looks really nice as well.
    2.Lots of advanced features that are not in some cameras that cost 3 or 4 times as much.
    3.I know this shouldn't affect buying decisions but I think the e-620 is a really good looking camera, definitely different from other manufactures.

What I don't like.

1. Battery drains really fast.
    2.live view af is slow and hunts a lot.

Here are a couple of test shots of some items I found lying around my house. There not that well thought out or lit but there something.

The shots bellow are all shot at iso3200 hand held, I didn't have a tripod on hand so I was forced to get photos with bland color. The noise reduction was set to normal in camera. Some minor fix's in Lr 3 beta with no noise reduction on computer.

Here is a B&W version. I think it looks a little less noisy.

I was having lots of fun with the art filters. I was one of those people who thought it was just a gimmick because we could just add it later in photoshop. I don't feel that way anymore, this is way more fun, were forced with these film like presets. Also since the lcd screen flips close, I sometimes feel like I am shooting with film. I had more art filter photos but I later found out that Lr 3 beta takes away the art filter affect if I shoot in raw.
    Last edited by LightBright; 04-15-2010 at 01:14 AM.
    -
    Please do not take my photo's. Thank you
    www.SammySoliman.Smugmug.com

Re: So far I like my new e-620

congrats on the new acquisition. I almost went with an E-620 myself, but opted for the E-30. Shooting with Live View all the time will run the battery down something fierce. It's annoying, but like the focus hunting in LV, it's just something I plan around. Mostly when I'm using LV as a viewfinder I'm working with macro for landscape on a lowered tripod, so taking my time isn't really an issue. I love the screen for 80% of what I do, it's so handy.

Have Cameras. Will Shoot! NaturalWoman's Avatar

glad you're enjoying your E620, I LOVE mine. it is so perfect, the size is great. i just recently used the filters, i haven't played with them at all, but the pinhole filter is pretty cool. i LOVE the swivel screen, i thought that was going to be useless, but for my 365 project, it has been a life saver.

not sure about the battery life, i hardly ever have it on all the time. if i'm out, i take a photo(s) and turn it off. i took it on a 3 day vacation and surprisingly i didn't have to change battery until today actually because i left it on all night. duh. i did buy a back up battery.

enjoy your camera, look forward to some more pics, these look pretty good.
    Happily photographing within my camera's limitations.Website

Thanks everybody. I also have the 14-42mm kit lens, its great for walking around and photo journalistic type stuff due to its small size. People tend to be scared when they see a big 200mm 2.8 lens pointed at them, because they think it will steal there soul

I think an extra battery will solve my power drainage problem. I usually use the camera for a couple of hours at a time. I also use a mixture of live view and ovf and turn the camera off when not in use. The e-620 is by far my favorite camera.
    -

Liz

So far the things I like are...

1.nice and small. I don't think a dslr needs to be any smaller than the e-620, its the perfect size for comfort and convenience, but I have to admit the ep-2 looks really nice as well.
    2.Lots of advanced features that are not in some cameras that cost 3 or 4 times as much.
    3.I know this shouldn't affect buying decisions but I think the e-620 is a really good looking camera, definitely different from other manufactures.

What I don't like.

1. Battery drains really fast.
    2.live view af is slow and hunts a lot.
    Somehow I missed this post the first time around. I'm glad you're enjoying the E-620.

BTW, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can turn off the live view and just use the VF. This would certainly cut down the battery draining significantly.

Liz

"Somehow I missed this post the first time around. I'm glad you're enjoying the E-620.

BTW, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can turn off the live view and just use the VF. This would certainly cut down the battery draining significantly.

Liz"

Correct, I was shooting exclusively in VF for my brothers birthday party yesterday and by the end of the day I still had a full battery. :thumbsup: But I find a 50% usage of both the VF and live-view drains the battery pack fast. I will order a back up battery since I like useing live-view for macro subjects.
    -

Thread Information