Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>

Thread: New E-510!

Talking New E-510!

So after a lot of deliberation and trying out several cameras (and great advice on this site), I did it, I got the E-510 2 lens kit and the 35mm macro lens.

I'm itching to use, I'm checking every 5 minutes hoping that the red light on the charger will turn green. THe manual says 5 hours charge time, is this accurate?

Other than to get out and shoot, does anyone have any tips for a new E-510 user?

I've installed the software, browsed the manual, attached the strap, put UV filters on all 3 lenses, reconfigured my camera bag for my new toy, I'm freaking dying to use it. Posting on here is my methadone until the battery is charged!!!:mad2:

Re: New E-510!

Go ahead and fire a few off. Be sure and share your first shots. You have one fine camera, congrats.......
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

update the drivers on both the body and all the lenses. the software should tell you how to do it
    E-3, E-510
    12-60 2.8-4.0
    40-150 3.5-4.5
    Sigma 30 1.4
    Zenit 58 F2 [with M42 adapter]
    Metz 48

ooohhh... I wish I had an E-510, but I do like my E-300. You will be very happy with the 35mm Macro Lens.

Take a look at this thread for some shots using the 35mm...
    http://www.nzmas.co.nz/forums/viewto...?p=31115#31115

Photos are from my marine tank I have.

p.s. the photo resolution and size has been pumped down for this thread, but you get the idea.
    Olympus E-300
    Flash FL-36R
    35mm Macro
    14-45mm Wide
    40-150mm TeleZoom
    EC-20 Teleconverter

My favourite shots are with my macro lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic2
    update the drivers on both the body and all the lenses. the software should tell you how to do it
    Any idea how large the average firmware update is? I live in the sticks where I am limited to dial up and due to old phone lines the connection is very very very bad (I mean really bad).
    I don't want to brick my new camera because of a bad internet connection, but would like to update before I start customizing.

Quote Originally Posted by HelifaxNZ
    ooohhh... I wish I had an E-510, but I do like my E-300. You will be very happy with the 35mm Macro Lens.

Take a look at this thread for some shots using the 35mm...
    http://www.nzmas.co.nz/forums/viewto...?p=31115#31115

Photos are from my marine tank I have.

p.s. the photo resolution and size has been pumped down for this thread, but you get the idea.
    Nice, I like the full tank shot quite a bit, the colors and contrast are excellent.

The 35mm lens really sealed the deal on this camera for me, I tried it out in the store, fell in love with that lens specifically and realized I could have a great body, 2 decent lenses (really good for kit lenses) and a great macro lens all for less than the body of the other camera I was considering (Canon 40D). I have a feeling the 35mm will be mounted most of the time

I did an update recently on my camera and lenses and if I can recall, it downloads the software first, then updates the firmware. You do need to make sure you have full power in your battery before you run the firmware. I can't remember what the size of the file was, but I wouldn't think it would be very large as firmware is only a tiny program.
    Olympus E-300
    Flash FL-36R
    35mm Macro
    14-45mm Wide
    40-150mm TeleZoom
    EC-20 Teleconverter

You can go there for a quite good complement to the E-510 manual:
    http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/e510-sett.html

visit also the other pages...

i whish you a lot of pleasing photos.
    François

Quote Originally Posted by fjhleger
    You can go there for a quite good complement to the E-510 manual:
    http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/e510-sett.html

visit also the other pages...

i whish you a lot of pleasing photos.
    I actually already have been, I think that site is better than the manual!

Thank you for the well wishing! I think I'm going to really like this camera (and hopefully get some great shots), although I do have to admit that I'm not a big fan of the focus by wire.

It didn't occur to me before buying this camera, but there are times when I want to feel that I am focused at infinity, not just guesstimate. A fully wide, long distance, long exposure (couldn't really see well in the viewfinder) the other night led me to this conclusion. Does anyone know if there is any type of graphical display (in the viewfinder of LCD) I can enable on this camera for focus?

I'll try to get some of my early shots up soon.

Quote Originally Posted by dumpy
    I actually already have been, I think that site is better than the manual!

Thank you for the well wishing! I think I'm going to really like this camera (and hopefully get some great shots), although I do have to admit that I'm not a big fan of the focus by wire.

It didn't occur to me before buying this camera, but there are times when I want to feel that I am focused at infinity, not just guesstimate. A fully wide, long distance, long exposure (couldn't really see well in the viewfinder) the other night led me to this conclusion. Does anyone know if there is any type of graphical display (in the viewfinder of LCD) I can enable on this camera for focus?

I'll try to get some of my early shots up soon.
    Soon as you get the chance upgrade to the 14-54mm lens. It has infinity marks on it. I am old school. It is a superior lens all around. Rugged and fast. Post your shots in the gallery. If you have any more questions please ask and write a full review if you would. It might help someone else considering the 510.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

about fly by wire, i agree with you this is a surprising issue. At first, i was concerned by the effective focus resolution, but by usage, this does not seems to be a problem. As Mr Bezier told me one day, what is important is the finally obtained precision, not the designed precision, because the manufacturing imposes its limits anyway.

But as the lens inertia is quite important, you feel when you are at the limit and the lens does not move anymore.

Of course, if you use a tripod, this is another story.
    François

I finally have some of my first shots with the new E-510 to post. I've got to say, Olympus Master is one slow piece of software (although this is my first experience with RAW, so that may not be a fair statement).

I'm loving this camera and especially the 35mm macro lens!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New E-510!-p1010552-copy.jpg   New E-510!-p1010609-copy.jpg   New E-510!-p1010610-copy.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Great shots. Well done.
    Olympus E-300
    Flash FL-36R
    35mm Macro
    14-45mm Wide
    40-150mm TeleZoom
    EC-20 Teleconverter

Hi Dumpy,

I'd be real pleased with those shots.

Truth, I've got lens and location envy

I also find Master takes a few seconds to make changes in raw.

Cheers, Don

Quote Originally Posted by Don Kondra
    Truth, I've got lens and location envy
    Lens Envy, I'll give ya that, the 35mm is sweet (especially for only $200), I'm loving that lens.!

Location on the other hand, not so sure about. I was getting really frustrated, it's been very dry around here lately, brush fire dry, which is incredibly rare in these parts (most Aprils seem like never ending rain). All I wanted to do is take some some macro flower shots and not much is growing yet, everything is brown.

I never thought I'd be this annoyed by lack of rain. I guess I should stop complaining and get my MTB out as I usually never do until May because of the high potential for trail damage.

Thanks everyone for the compliments!

I hear you on the dry..

The snow is gone two weeks earlier than normal and in the 24 years I've been out on the acreage I've had three brush fires that came right up to the house, and all within a day or two of the first of May....

We did get a little snow after this pic was taken but still....

Cheers, Don

Thread Information