Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>

Newbie question.....E410 or E510?

First things first... introductions. I'm a newbie (bear with me) moving from a precarious point and shoot to a DSLR and need some help.

The camera will be used for pics of my kids, family gatherings, travel and outdoor sports. I've narrowed it down to the Oly e410 or e510 yet can't make up my mind due to sheer ignorance.

I checked both cameras at my local shop and like them both, so feel/fit is not a concern. Anyway, from my gatherings it all boils down to: (1) Get the e410 if size/portability is what matters or (2) Get the e510 if you care for the image stabilizer (IS) function. My problem is that I don't know if I need/want IS. When and in what situation does one require IS? All things equal I like the e410 for its size.

Please advise... btw the price difference is not a problem and will be buying the dual lense kit. Many thanks

[I apologize if this has been discussed before but I couldn't find an answer in prior threads]

Re: Newbie question.....E410 or E510?

IS, Image stabilization is the camera adjusting for hand shake, camera movement, while shooting at low light levels. Letting one shoot more without a tripod or flash. IS will not correct for a moving targets, kids.I use a 510 and I really like it. The 410 is just a smaller, more compact camera without IS. In the long run I feel the 510 is a better choice, IMO, Also the two kit lens will serve you for a long time the 40-150mm lens is great for chasing kids around and capturing them playing while giving them space.
    I guess the bottom line is if you feel you will be shooting in low light levels or not. If so I would go for the 510.
    Thanks for posting and please let us now know which one you get and come back and write a review.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Thanks for your comments Greg. Some of the pics may be taken with lower light level, I did not know that IS helps in this situation as well.

How about IS when using a zoom lense? Eventually I'd like to buy a more powerful zoom (55-200mm) to capture shots at a distance, probably moving objects or people at sports / outdoors. When does IS make a real difference?

On a separate question am I better off buying the two lense kit or just go for the singl lense kit and get a Sigma 55-200mm? The later combo would only cost about $50 more...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

The Sigma would give you 50 more MM. It's really up to you but me. I would go for the Sigma. But there is nothing wrong with the Zuiko. The extra 50mm would be nice.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Thanks again!

As suggested I went for the E-510 with the dual lense kit. J&R matched the lowest price on the net (from an authorized dealer) at $643. I think it's a great deal! Can't wait to receive the camera...

Next step is to buy a powerful zoom....
    Last edited by fluque; 01-11-2008 at 05:49 PM.

I think you will be happy. The extra money spent on the IS will pay off in the long run. Be sure and come back a share a few pictures and also ask question if needed. It's a very easy camera to use once you get the hang of it. I can use mine at night now and have no problems navigating the controls in the dark.

Sony a99/a7R

Somewhere on another board I've read that the E-510 needs some settings changes to get even better results. What changes are appropriate, any suggestions or insight?

Wrotniak's site has an article on "Customizing Your E-510" that includes a table on Picture Mode adjustments. Are these settings better than the default?
    http://wrotniak.com/photo/oly-e/e500-sett.html

My 510 did well right out of the box. To get the very best results shooting in RAW format and use Olympus Master or Lightroom or another good RAW development program. The biggest part of those settings are user preferance settings and really don't control the final image. You can custom set the saturation, contrast and sharpness for each color mode. For instance, vivid, muted, natural ect. Or custom set the white balance. But I had rather control those in post processing.
    If you just shot Jpeg you are better off just leaving it as is and enjoy.
    As far as exposing a shot there is no perfect setting for all scenes. You just need to learn how to set the camera and practice is the best way to learn exposure.

Sony a99/a7R

Thanks, I will be shooting jpeg for now so I'll leave the setting as they are.

As for editing software, is Lightroom any better than Olympus Master? Lightroom sells for $99 while Olympus Master is a free download. Any particular preference here?

Yes I would say Lightroom is much better. Faster too.....

Arghhh ,:mad2: why not shoot in RAW + jpeg basic ? :idea: I use a nikon D70 (and many others) and i love the RAW +Jpeg basic i'll explain :

there will be moments when you have set the camera to a white balance set like FL (fluorescent light also known as TL) , you come out doors, forget that you have the white balance setting , and come home with unnatural outdoor shots.. :cryin: (it happend to me and many others) well the beauty of RAW is that with the software that came with the camera you can reset the white balance after having taken the pictures and without having to back to the same spot. (and things tend to be never the same) , with nikon you can select the un natural out door shots , load them in the programme and select a batch , click one open and change the white balance from FL to whatever (outdoor or cloudy etc) and run the bacth..:aureola:

RAW means that the camera captures the image like it was seen, a raw image will always have to be handled manualy because your jpegs will be the only ones that will be unnatural, the beauty (in my humble opinion is that wtih raw and jpeg basic you always have a backup on file , believe me that especialy in the beginning you will forget to set the white balance to the situation and also the EV +/- settings

Thread Information