New body or lens

Printable View

• 06-21-2010, 02:22 PM
    seangee
    New body or lens
    Hi all

Brand new to this forum but been using my trusty old E300 for the last 5+ years. I am considering the Olympus 70 - 300 and seen some great reviews on here. I am currently using a Sigma 55 - 200 (4 - 5.6) and am occasionally frustrated by poor autofocus, esp in low light and lack of image stabilisation. I also have the two kit lenses that came with the camera and an EC14.

If you were me would you go for the lens or stay with what I've got and get a 620 body? (:( I can't afford both )
  • 06-21-2010, 02:53 PM
    SmartWombat
    Re: New body or lens
    I've always preferred spending on lenses first, then bodies, I'm now looking at lenses again :)
  • 06-21-2010, 04:18 PM
    Greg McCary
    I would upgrade bodies. The 70-300mm is a sharp lens but SLOW. The IS alone is worth the upgrade. What other lenses do you have? A 14-54 mm would be a good choice for faster glass.
  • 06-21-2010, 06:43 PM
    Liz
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    I would upgrade bodies. The 70-300mm is a sharp lens but SLOW. The IS alone is worth the upgrade. What other lenses do you have? A 14-54 mm would be a good choice for faster glass.

I agree. I purchased the E-620 because the Olympus 50mm/f2 AF was too slow to use with my E-PL1. I had been looking to purchase a dslr and the E-620 and 50mm/f2 are a great combo - works just fine even indoors. There are quite a few 70-300mm images around that prove that this lens is quite capable in the right hands - with the right camera. The price is right for such a wonderful lens IMO.

I love the IBIS on the E-620 and the E-PL1 btw.

Liz
  • 06-22-2010, 03:58 AM
    Dave6223
    New lenses aren't going to be the complete answer unless the body is capable of delivering the results you want. Why put a V8 5 litre engine in a standard mini chassis? Ok it wouldn't fit, but you get my point i guess. Upgrade your body, get what kit lenses you want with it, even if they duplicate what you have. That way you can sell them on ebay, and use the cash generated towards buying the lens you desire. Then you will have the benefits that the new body will bring you, higher resolution, IS, etc, AND the glass you want.

Result

Dave
  • 06-23-2010, 01:12 PM
    seangee
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave6223
    New lenses aren't going to be the complete answer unless the body is capable of delivering the results you want. Why put a V8 5 litre engine in a standard mini chassis? Ok it wouldn't fit, but you get my point i guess. Upgrade your body, get what kit lenses you want with it, even if they duplicate what you have. That way you can sell them on ebay, and use the cash generated towards buying the lens you desire. Then you will have the benefits that the new body will bring you, higher resolution, IS, etc, AND the glass you want.

Result

Dave

Suspect you're right. The Sigma actually isn't bad and at the same speed I would probably be worse off with a longer reach. Have now ordered a couple of decent prime lenses on ebay (Zuiko OM :idea: so it doesn't hurt the pocket as much).
    Will probably just go for the body only option to offset the cost of these and keep the trusty old 300 as a spare body
  • 06-24-2010, 12:01 AM
    Dave6223
    Sounds like a plan to me!

Dave
  • 06-24-2010, 05:28 AM
    Iguanamom
    I upgraded from an E-300 w/the 14-45 kit lens to an E-30 and a 12-60mm zoom and I couldn't be happier. The speed and crisp nature of that lens, coupled with the massive upgrades in the body have made me a better photographer, or at least a better equipped one. I still use the E-300 in situations where I don't want to risk the E-30 or it's just too heavy. A 24mm OM lens on the E-300 makes quite a small package. So have fun with your upgrade choices.
  • 06-24-2010, 06:32 AM
    Greg McCary
    I guess you priced new glass. You would be suprised at the cost of the new lenses when compared to the old OM glass. I think I would get a new lens as well. Zuiko really doesn't make much bad glass.
  • 06-25-2010, 01:14 PM
    Dave6223
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    I guess you priced new glass. You would be suprised at the cost of the new lenses when compared to the old OM glass. I think I would get a new lens as well. Zuiko really doesn't make much bad glass.

You got that right Greg. I'd back Zuiko against pretty much any other.
  • 08-07-2010, 02:31 PM
    seangee
    Uodate:
    Got the 70 - 300 and was very impressed with it using the e300. I managed to get decent prices on the ec14 and my old zoom lenses so effectively got a new one for free (with a bit of change).

Then I sold the e300 body plus an unused / unwanted mobile phone and netbook. Was about to hit "check out now" on a 620 today (still in the effectively free zone) when I got distracted and bought an E30 instead :smilewinkgrin:

Can't wait for it to arrive ...
  • 08-07-2010, 05:08 PM
    OldClicker
    Quite the 'distraction' :) Terry
  • 08-08-2010, 05:10 AM
    Liz
    Quote:

Originally Posted by seangee
    Uodate:
    Got the 70 - 300 and was very impressed with it using the e300. I managed to get decent prices on the ec14 and my old zoom lenses so effectively got a new one for free (with a bit of change).

Then I sold the e300 body plus an unused / unwanted mobile phone and netbook. Was about to hit "check out now" on a 620 today (still in the effectively free zone) when I got distracted and bought an E30 instead :smilewinkgrin:

Can't wait for it to arrive ...

Love those kind of distractions. :idea:

Congratulations - let us know how you like it and post some pics. :thumbsup:

Liz
  • 08-08-2010, 03:19 PM
    Iguanamom
    oh another E-30 owner in the house. nice. enjoy!