• 10-31-2009, 04:47 PM
    tangogal
    Need help using 70-300 lens
    I'm a beginner and hope this isn't too stupid a question. I have an Olympus E-500 and have just purchased the 70-300 lens as I wanted a long telephoto. I've read all about the drawbacks of this lens (slow focus, poor in low light) but could not afford the higher priced lenses. I know I will need to use a tripod as my camera lacks image stabilization.

Here's my question--when I am in AF and turn the focus ring, the part of the lens that moves outward only goes to the 1:6 or a bit beyond the 150 mm mark. I can turn this part of the lens manually and move it out further but then it doesn't fully retract with the focus ring and I have to turn it in manually.

There are no operating instructions that come with the lens, so I'm not sure if one is supposed to extend it beyond that 1:6 mark or not.

Also, I understand that the lens can be used for macro photography. Is that correct?

I've been on the Olympus web site but there is no information on the operation of this lens and I could use some help from more knowledgeable photographers!

Thank you!
  • 11-01-2009, 04:02 AM
    Atomic2
    Re: Need help using 70-300 lens
    I've seen a question exactly like this at least a dozen times, DONT physically turn the barrel of the lens. The magnification markers just represent the magnification you will be getting at the current focus distance when at 300mm, no matter what you're focused on, you will still be at 300mm when you've zoomed in to 300mm... the only way to get the MAX magnification is to be zoomed in to 300mm and focusing at the MINIMUM focusing distance, which is like .96m or something like that, so lets say 1m. This is unlikely to ever happen because the only way to focus at the minimum focusing distance is to pop the lens into manual focus, and then its still VERY difficult to get spot on focus at minimum distance. Not to mention the lens lacks sharpness to be a proper macro, so I wouldnt worry about it too much.
  • 11-01-2009, 09:31 AM
    Don Kondra
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Atomic2
    This is unlikely to ever happen because the only way to focus at the minimum focusing distance is to pop the lens into manual focus, and then its still VERY difficult to get spot on focus at minimum distance. Not to mention the lens lacks sharpness to be a proper macro, so I wouldnt worry about it too much.

I think you are doing this lens a disservice with your comments. It does just fine as a macro lens and also focus's well, in normal lighting conditions.

Will it capture the eye of a fly ? No :)

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...lueFlowers.jpg

Cheers, Don
  • 11-01-2009, 12:45 PM
    Atomic2
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Kondra
    I think you are doing this lens a disservice with your comments. It does just fine as a macro lens and also focus's well, in normal lighting conditions.

Will it capture the eye of a fly ? No :)

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...lueFlowers.jpg

Cheers, Don

All I can say is from personal experience, I tested the lens at maximum magnification against my 12-60; not only was the 12-60 an immeasurable amount easier to shoot at its maximum magnification [easily hand held] the sharpness of the lens allowed me to crop to the same magnification the 70-300 could do. The image from the 70-300mm however could not be cropped further however.

But it is not my intention to bash the lens, only to point out its faults from my ownership.
    heres some macro I got with it.
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3099/...929fbe32_b.jpg
  • 11-01-2009, 03:02 PM
    Don Kondra
    You can't compare a High Grade lens to a Standard Grade, of course the 12-60 is sharper.

When you do consider size, reach and cost the 70-300 is a great lens.

Cheers, Don
  • 11-01-2009, 06:56 PM
    tangogal
    Some questions about the 70-300:

Those of you who have image stabilization--have you been able to use the 70-300 hand held rather than with a tripod without getting blurring? (I am probably going to upgrade from the E-500 to a camera with image stabilization)

Is it too slow a lens for photographing wildlife?

I am wondering if I should consider a different lens and return the 70-300, which I just purchased, but what other lens will reach out far enough for landscape and wildlife photos? I have an 18-180.
  • 11-01-2009, 07:08 PM
    Greg McCary
    Yes the Image stabilization makes a big difference. You can hand hold most of your shots. Unless you are willing to lay down some big money the 70-300mm will do a pretty good job.
  • 11-03-2009, 05:03 PM
    bikefreax
    This was hand held with the 70-300mm in macro mode on my E-510. Plenty sharp for me.

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m...lteredcopy.jpg
  • 11-05-2009, 08:19 AM
    tangogal
    When you want to use the lens in macro mode, do you need to make some change in the way the lens is set-up? There are no instructions that come with this lens.
  • 11-05-2009, 09:43 AM
    Don Kondra
    Macro is simply close up.. If you've got the light, shoot between f 6 and f 8...

Cheers, Don
  • 11-05-2009, 07:31 PM
    bikefreax
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tangogal
    When you want to use the lens in macro mode, do you need to make some change in the way the lens is set-up? There are no instructions that come with this lens.

Mine had instructions. To get the closest macro you flip the switch to manual and you zoom out all the way and turn the manual focus till it extends even farther. Then the trick is to move back and forth to get the subject in focus. Hope that explains it right for you.
  • 11-06-2009, 08:27 AM
    tangogal
    I understand. Thank you.
  • 11-06-2009, 05:54 PM
    bikefreax
    Thats how I captured the dragonfly above. Good luck. I throw more away than I keep.
  • 11-08-2009, 04:06 AM
    Georgeo
    I know that you are not to manually wind the moving lens barrel in or out of the lens casing but I find that almost every time I remove the lens hood from this lens it tries to unwind outwards, and since ive already powered the camera down i have to manually wind it back in again with my hands, will this eventually damage this lens?

I find that with a quick twist motion of the lens hood it manages to come off without the lens barrel moving "most" of the time.
  • 11-08-2009, 12:47 PM
    Photo-John
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Georgeo
    I know that you are not to manually wind the moving lens barrel in or out of the lens casing but I find that almost every time I remove the lens hood from this lens it tries to unwind outwards, and since ive already powered the camera down i have to manually wind it back in again with my hands, will this eventually damage this lens?

Same thing happens to me. I've been using the lens for a couple of years now and it still works fine. So I don't think it will damage the lens. It would be nice if this wasn't a problem, though. It's annoying, if nothing else.
  • 02-04-2010, 05:49 AM
    andy3871
    have just bought the 70-300 and still trying to get use to it. great reading all the comments, i find them very helpful.
    Andy.