Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>

E620 High ISO results

I'm very impressed!

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/re.../12/10412.html

At 3200, these seem usable for casual use [facebook, etc.] at 1600? these are downright decent.... but at 800 those are perfectly good. Its amazing, theres almost no change between 200-400-800.
    E-3, E-510
    12-60 2.8-4.0
    40-150 3.5-4.5
    Sigma 30 1.4
    Zenit 58 F2 [with M42 adapter]
    Metz 48

Re: E620 High ISO results

I think a production E-620 is supposed to be on the way to me right now. So I should be able to shoot and post studio samples soon. I expect it will be about the same as the E-30, which I am very pleased with. I shot all of my PMA coverage photos with the E-30. Most of them were shot at ISO 800 with no flash and then pushed hard in Lightroom. I am very happy with the image quality. Sure, there's some noise. But it doesn't bother me at all.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Do you happen to have an E3 on hand as well?

Will it be possible for you to do a side by side comparison of ISO performance of all 3? I will be upgrading within the coming months, and I think a comparison like that will finally give me the info I need to make a decision.

I've seen the E30 compared to the E3 [I made a thread] and it seemed like the E3 did much better. So I was leaning towards the E3 after I saw that, but now these results are very impressive from the E620... A side by side will be awesome.
    E-3, E-510
    12-60 2.8-4.0
    40-150 3.5-4.5
    Sigma 30 1.4
    Metz 48

I do have an E-3 and I'll see what I can do. My biggest problem is that there aren't enough hours in the day.

Personally, I think you're worrying too much about noise - especially at 100%. I looked at the test you linked to. What they don't show is how photos look in the real world - in print or resized for the Web. The E-30 has 20% more resolution than the E-3. That means that the noise you're seeing at 100% will be effectively minimized in print. In other words - the same photo taken with the E-3 and the E-30 and printed at 8x10 may have the same image quality - even though there's more noise when viewed at 100%. You are free to make prints from the high-res samples posted on our Sample Photos page. That's what I do when I really want to compare the image quality from a couple of cameras.
    Photo-John

Ok I went to check out the samples, and I did a quick side by side of the E3 and E30, and im still convinced that the E3 has significantly less noise.

At 3200, the E3 when shrunk down to fit my browser [scaled 29%] it is passable for casual use. Taking pictures at a party or similar would be no problem at ISO3200.
    http://gallery.photographyreview.com...E3_iso3200.jpg

The E3 however, scales even smaller, to 27%, and still there is a significant amount more noise visible.
    http://gallery.photographyreview.com...E3_iso3200.jpg
    Looking at the toy train area, it looks like the image came from a cell phone, or a webcam.

Now im still loyal to Olympus, dont get me wrong. I just dont see the E30 as a proud moment. To me it seems like a watered down E3 but with a heftier price tag.
    E-3, E-510
    12-60 2.8-4.0
    40-150 3.5-4.5
    Sigma 30 1.4
    Metz 48

It's Here!

I got a Fed-Ex delivery from Olympus today. I haven't opened it yet, but I am assuming it's the E-620
    Photo-John

Looking forward to your review! The destination of my hard earned money rests in your hands...
    E-3, E-510
    12-60 2.8-4.0
    40-150 3.5-4.5
    Sigma 30 1.4
    Metz 48

Hey photo-john, hows the 620 so far?
    E-3, E-510
    12-60 2.8-4.0
    40-150 3.5-4.5
    Sigma 30 1.4
    Metz 48

E-620 So Far

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic2
    Hey photo-john, hows the 620 so far?
    Hey - I'm working on some photos from it right now! I'll have a post up with some samples, soon. I shot all day with it on Sunday and really enjoyed. It's wonderfully tiny and the interface was very comfortable, coming from the E-30 and other Olympus DSLRs.

Sunday was pretty gloomy here, so I shot a lot of ISO 400 and 800 images. I pretty much just carried it around all day and shot everything. The majority of them are from the SLC's Hogle Zoom, with less than cooperative subjects :-)

Look for my post, later!
    Photo-John

Hi!!
    Any chance you have those E-620 pictures??
    I sold my E-510 in an impulsive moment and am struggling with the decision between an E-620 and E-30. In addition to the 50mm, I have a 14-54 and 50-200 (both older versions) as well as an EC-1.4....... I am a bit burned out on macro and have been using the 50-200mm quite a bit outdoors (I am in AZ), sometimes with the EC1.4 and am concerned the E-620 will be be hard to hold and get tiring quickly.....

What to you think as far as ergonomics of the two bodies with larger lenses?????

Although I used to think I was going to HIKE a lot with the camera, that really does not happen, so the additional size of the E-30 is not as big an issue as it once was with me. The cost has gotten a BIT better, but I am almost thinking with the slightly better LCD, the 620 is not a bad way to go.

Any opinions/info would be greatly appreciated!!

Quote Originally Posted by MikieHead

Any opinions/info would be greatly appreciated!!
    Well....I'm in the same boat as you. I own an E420 (Which I just put for sale in the classifieds) that I bought for its size, but as I learn and explore I want something with more features and most importantly, IS. I went down to the camera store the other day and played with the E620. It is a nice camera, no question.

It may prove to be a bit small in hand if you are using the 50-200 with the ec1.4.

The E30 will give you:

- More features
    - Faster
    - Bigger
    - More batterylife and pictures per charge

The E620 will give you:
    - More money in your pocket (less than $300 at current prices)
    - Smaller size
    - You mentioned better screen, but I was not aware of that

One other note that one of the regular Olympus users pointed out is that you will get better pop up flash performance with the bigger body of the E30. When I use my e420 with my 14-54, I get shadows from the lens.

For me, I'm looking to move to the E30 as my DSLR and plan to purchase one of the new Olympus Micro 4/3 cameras as my small carry everywhere camera.
    Bicycles - Photography - People - Exploration
    GnatLikesBikes Blog

I shoot Olympus Cameras

I read that the E-620 is not as comfortable with a larger lens than the 500 series bodies. I can hold my E510 with the 12-60 one handed all day, but that wont be possible with the 620.
    E-3, E-510
    12-60 2.8-4.0
    40-150 3.5-4.5
    Sigma 30 1.4
    Metz 48

Thread Information